Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

BabyQueen last night at the Leadmill.  Hadn’t seen her before so didn’t know what to expect but was happily surprised to find a lot of her songs beefed up into chunky pop bangers by the live band.. some ballads just Bella playing piano by herself and some great new tracks.  A couple of misses in the new stuff but mostly great.  Everyone went wild for Want me and We can be anything at the end.  
Would definitely see her again, she’s good fun on stage (had a wardrobe malfunction and ended up changing outfit between songs and various other randomness).

IMG_8385.jpeg

IMG_8381.jpeg

Edited by Pipine

Currently abroad down under, and have alighted in Perth. Took in a local covers group last night with the excellent name of Some Like It Yacht - two-hours-plus of back-to-back seventies soft-rock vibes, played by a crack band to an audience of people in loud shirts and sailor hats. Absolutely delightful.

Oh, and I saw McCartney the other week in Adelaide too. That was a bucket list job.

On 10/27/2023 at 9:18 AM, Gnomicide said:

The Mission at Manc Ritz last night. Not a band that gets talked about much but still going strong, Wayne's vocals have really held up considering the abuse he put them through. So many great songs, terrific crowd, band on top form. Would recommend.

i used to follow The Mission back in the day, all round Europe - one of the best live bands ever, and Wayne is one of my favourite singers for sure.

BUT - i went to the farewell shows at Shepherds Bush (i think it was 2008?) which were just pure magic.

THEN - i went to the show at Brixton Academy a few years later (with Nephs supporting) and it was so unbelievably bad that it totally destroyed the magic of my memories of SBE shows.

after that i vowed a) i'd never see The Mission again, and b) i'd never see anyone i'd already seen play their farewell show!

with all that said, however, a mate of mine saw them last week at the Roundhouse with Theatre of Hate supporting and said it was absolutely freaking awesome.

which is great, i'm really happy they are on form, and i will admit that part of me wishes i went - but they pissed me off so much with that Brixton show i just can't bring myself to do it. 

went to Terrorvision in London on saturday.

i cant say as i particularly like them - only seen them once before and it must have been 30 years ago - but my wife loves them and dragged me along.

i have to say - it was brilliant.

i love it when you see someone who is loving what they do, and Tony was very clearly loving every second up there.

great night.

1 hour ago, -TLR- said:

after that i vowed a) i'd never see The Mission again, and b) i'd never see anyone i'd already seen play their farewell show!

I fully get this. I have a similar thing with Motley Crue, went to to their farewell tour and it was poor. However, the difference here is that reports from the latest tour have largely been they are currently awful.

1 hour ago, -TLR- said:

went to Terrorvision in London on saturday.

i cant say as i particularly like them - only seen them once before and it must have been 30 years ago - but my wife loves them and dragged me along.

i have to say - it was brilliant.

i love it when you see someone who is loving what they do, and Tony was very clearly loving every second up there.

great night.

Always such a fun live act yer 'vision. I'm not going to any shows on the current tour but hope they crop up at a festival or two. 

23 hours ago, Pipine said:

BabyQueen last night at the Leadmill.  Hadn’t seen her before so didn’t know what to expect but was happily surprised to find a lot of her songs beefed up into chunky pop bangers by the live band.. some ballads just Bella playing piano by herself and some great new tracks.  A couple of misses in the new stuff but mostly great.  Everyone went wild for Want me and We can be anything at the end.  
Would definitely see her again, she’s good fun on stage (had a wardrobe malfunction and ended up changing outfit between songs and various other randomness).

I worked Reading this year, must say I enjoyed BabyQueen.

Baby Queen (21).JPG

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 3:28 PM, Pipine said:

IMG_8385.jpeg

IMG_8381.jpeg

BabyQueen was a pleasantly surprising find for me at Y Not! last year. Excellent live I thought.

Wasn't really sure where to post it, but has anybody won and gone to any of the Ladbrokes Live tickets before? 

If so what tickets do you actually get? Unless I'm blind I can't really tell, are they standing? seated? are they good seats or just the cheap nosebleeds? I won a ballot for one of the shows I entered accidentally, not sure if it's worth claiming and going or not 

27 minutes ago, panda97 said:

Wasn't really sure where to post it, but has anybody won and gone to any of the Ladbrokes Live tickets before? 

If so what tickets do you actually get? Unless I'm blind I can't really tell, are they standing? seated? are they good seats or just the cheap nosebleeds? I won a ballot for one of the shows I entered accidentally, not sure if it's worth claiming and going or not 

You should find out about your seat when you get your tickets via the AXS site. I have been and my tickets were in a box so seating tickets / right side of stage, they weren’t nosebleed seats but not right next to stage either. A bit corporate but this does mean good access to a bar and toilets. There was a bit chat about it in the Cheap tickets thread but not much beyond what I have put above.

Just now, snoochie1981 said:

You should find out about your seat when you get your tickets via the AXS site. I have been and my tickets were in a box so seating tickets / right side of stage, they weren’t nosebleed seats but not right next to stage either. A bit corporate but this does mean good access to a bar and toilets. There was a bit chat about it in the Cheap tickets thread but not much beyond what I have put above.

Cheers mate, I didn't want to claim it and not end up going when the tickets could go to someone else so thought I'd ask around first

Makes sense it would say once you claim them though!

5 hours ago, plot2pot said:

BabyQueen was a pleasantly surprising find for me at Y Not! last year. Excellent live I thought.

I got into her via a recommendation from Courtney Love (who seems to be trying to encourage Bella to leave pop behind for heavier, more rocky directions). 
She writes very catchy tunes and is great fun live.  Be interesting to see which direction she goes in..

Tangerine Dream in London last night.

i dearly wish i had seen them with Edgar Froese, but for some reason last night was the first time i have ever seen them live - and it was simply magnificent!

i have huge respect for Thorsten Quaeschning as a composer and musician, and he and the rest of the band were fantastic.

sunday headliners on JazzWorld?

yes please!

On 11/6/2023 at 9:30 AM, Ben7amin_ said:

Saw Little Simz last night absolutely Incredible she is far to big for the venue (Victoria warehouse) as it was absolutely jammed in there and theres multiple nights. 

I saw her last night at Ally Pally. Yes, absolutely fantastic. I felt in 2022 if Glastonbury had any balls they’d have chosen her to headline instead of Billy Eilish. I hope she continues to grow as an artist. If the next album delivers could she be a contender for Pyramid 2025?  I certainly reckon she could put on a better show than Coldplay or Dua Lipa (actually, I know absolutely nothing about DL, so can’t really make that comparison) 

54 minutes ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

I saw her last night at Ally Pally. Yes, absolutely fantastic. I felt in 2022 if Glastonbury had any balls they’d have chosen her to headline instead of Billy Eilish. I hope she continues to grow as an artist. If the next album delivers could she be a contender for Pyramid 2025?  I certainly reckon she could put on a better show than Coldplay or Dua Lipa (actually, I know absolutely nothing about DL, so can’t really make that comparison) 

While I get you completely.....

One the things I am brutally aware of is that the masses don't want music to be too exciting. Simzy music is not beige enough for most. Sad but true  

1 hour ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

I felt in 2022 if Glastonbury had any balls they’d have chosen her to headline instead of Billy Eilish. I hope she continues to grow as an artist. 

She did headline in 2022, albeit on a stage more appropriate to her popularity at the time. You're falling into the trap of thinking an artist should get a prominent slot because you personally like them

Down under at the moment, and attended the Red Hot Summer Tour here yesterday. Kind of a multiple-event touring package that sticks half-a-dozen bands together and plays every Saturday over the season.

The first phase is an all-Australian affair - Jimmy Barnes, Birds of Tokyo, The Living End, Pete Murray (not that Pete Murray), Kasey Chambers and Mahalia Barnes. Laid out across the slopes of a winery near Perth, with about 16,000 punters in tow and plenty of excellent weather too.

Happy to have got that done.

11 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Down under at the moment, and attended the Red Hot Summer Tour here yesterday. Kind of a multiple-event touring package that sticks half-a-dozen bands together and plays every Saturday over the season.

The first phase is an all-Australian affair - Jimmy Barnes, Birds of Tokyo, The Living End, Pete Murray (not that Pete Murray), Kasey Chambers and Mahalia Barnes. Laid out across the slopes of a winery near Perth, with about 16,000 punters in tow and plenty of excellent weather too.

Happy to have got that done.

Beautiful part of the world. Lived in Perth for a couple years. Loved it. You gotta get to every festival you can in WA these days. Sadly, they're few and far between now.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Beautiful part of the world. Lived in Perth for a couple years. Loved it. You gotta get to every festival you can in WA these days. Sadly, they're few and far between now.

It's been a very lovely time. I've botched the festival circuit with my timings sadly, but I have had a few great gigs during my time in Australia. I saw RADWIMPS in Melbourne shortly before I flew out west, if anybody has passing knowledge of them.

Did you ever get down to The Astor Theatre in Mount Lawley?

6 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

It's been a very lovely time. I've botched the festival circuit with my timings sadly, but I have had a few great gigs during my time in Australia. I saw RADWIMPS in Melbourne shortly before I flew out west, if anybody has passing knowledge of them.

Did you ever get down to The Astor Theatre in Mount Lawley?

I did! A few times. Saw the Datsuns and Dandy Warhols 

8 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I did! A few times. Saw the Datsuns and Dandy Warhols 

What a combo. I saw Jon Stevens, of Noiseworks and post-reunion INXS fame there the other week. Was a bit of a hoot.

Saw a really interesting jazz-fusion band at the Ellington Jazz Club too, called Sky Machine. I'm aware using "interesting" and "jazz-fusion" in the same sentence is an oxymoron, but here we are.