2023 Festival

TheWaters

3 hours ago, nathanh said:

Cant see it being Olivia. New album out in September so would think if anything its pretty likely we will see her headline in 2024 if she does festivals

I don’t think she’s doing any shows this year so if they theoretically got her on a complete exclusive that would be a huge get.

It’s not going to happen but it would shift tickets if it did. 

3 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

I don’t think she’s doing any shows this year so if they theoretically got her on a complete exclusive that would be a huge get.

It’s not going to happen but it would shift tickets if it did. 

Oh absolutely it would likely cause a sell out but the likelihood of it actually happening, especially this late on is practically 0%

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Interested by the fact there appears to be no TBC in place of Slowthai- Are we not going to get a replacementIMG_4493.thumb.jpeg.a6083134aa40aa23b693ecb7cb7bea0e.jpeg

I’m going to give the festival the benefit of the doubt at the moment to say that the TBC covers both slots. I’m probably wrong.

1 hour ago, nathanh said:

Is there a chance that we could see Central Cee moved onto sub under the new headliner and them bump up NBT to sub The Killers (especially if the new headliner is a rapper)

No, they aren't filling the gap, just starting the day on MSE and moving MSW acts up one.

Why would they drop Central Cee who is big with the demographic down a slot? To bump up NBT who are middling at best, to sub the main headliner?

And to Paul - call it marketing, public relations, customer relations then. The team responsible for rolling out initiatives to push through sales. It's a company that sells tickets, of course they have a sales department.

Names banded about to me - they are looking into Glasto performers who have their set up etc around still, or don't need much setup prep.

Lizzo, Alt-J, Fred Again, Wizkid...

Nothing inspiring.

Get QOTSA before Killers, or Foos and im buying that day ticket 100%

4 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Names banded about to me - they are looking into Glasto performers who have their set up etc around still, or don't need much setup prep.

Nothing inspiring.

Fred again is playing in Scotland so it wont be him

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Nothing inspiring.

Alt-J would somehow be worse than Imagine Dragons. They were both garbage in 2016 never mind now.

Blossoms and Fred Again both out.

I have optimism that there’s a fair few indie bands of that size knocking about this summer to fill the gap. I’d actually be happy with any of the generic Two Door, Royal Blood, Wombats, Kasabian etc

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I have optimism that there’s a fair few indie bands of that size knocking about this summer to fill the gap. I’d actually be happy with any of the generic Two Door, Royal Blood, Wombats, Kasabian etc

The marketing department won’t be, those acts are only adding supply to the resale market

4 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Nothing inspiring.

Alt J ffs lol

----

Two Door would be r&l giving up.

Its already pretty indie heavy though so not sure Two Door is what they need to get tickets sold.

1 hour ago, nathanh said:

I think to sell tickets it needs to either be a big pop name, rapper or a classic rock act. By covering rap and rock they are opening it up more to the demographics they have marketed to in the past but have turned their back on this year

It’s too far gone this year to bring back the rock (and maybe even the indie) crowd. It’s a pop/rap festival with a smattering of uninspiring indie to break it up

7 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

It’s too far gone this year to bring back the rock (and maybe even the indie) crowd. It’s a pop/rap festival with a smattering of uninspiring indie to break it up

The fact is though, is although I like this years lineup because my taste is all over the place, it lacks an understanding of what it is as a festival and who they are catering to. By trying to cater to as many people as they can, they are failing to do any of it well.

Even rap this year is underrepresented and isn't bringing in the audience it did in 2021 and 2022. 

Edited by nathanh

2 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

indie crowd definitely still there, half the headliners are very popular indie acts

• Upvote 1

The problem for the rap crowd is lack of a headliner. Someone like playboi carti would have played so much better than imagine dragons or Capaldi. I also think in this demographic r&l has tipped to the tiktok-rap a little too much: Steve Lacy, chase Atlantic, central Cee to a certain extent, bakar, Tion Wayne etc rather than what fans see as ‘serious’ artists with more longevity thay we’ve seen in previous years eg d block, denzel curry, aj tracey and Aitch 

Problem for the indie lot is it’s nothing new. Ok the killers are a welcome addition but Sam fender (as popular as he is) must have played most the major festivals in the last 3 or so years, foals have been knocking about for years, Declan McKenna, sea girls, snuts, easy life, inhaler, and nbt are both names we saw in 2021. If you wanna see these acts you may as well go to y not/truck/tramlines/nbhd weekeender etc where ur ticket costs £100 less and u get to see the same indie acts as reading but also stuff that isn’t just churned up again and again every 2/3 years (like pulp!)

Edited by Will b

1 minute ago, Will b said:

The problem for the rap crowd is lack of a headliner.

As of right now. FR have the opportunity now to bring in a rap headliner and sub headliner in replacement for Capaldi and Slowthai. Who they could get last minute I don't know but im sure they could pull a couple names from Wireless

1 hour ago, Will b said:

The problem for the rap crowd is lack of a headliner. Someone like playboi carti would have played so much better than imagine dragons or Capaldi. I also think in this demographic r&l has tipped to the tiktok-rap a little too much: Steve Lacy, chase Atlantic, central Cee to a certain extent, bakar, Tion Wayne etc rather than what fans see as ‘serious’ artists with more longevity thay we’ve seen in previous years eg d block, denzel curry, aj tracey and Aitch 

Steve Lacy is closer to indie than rap in fairness. 

15 hours ago, gfa said:

indie crowd definitely still there, half the headliners are very popular indie acts

Totally forgot about Foals and Fender with neither being my bag. Further down and it’s weak.

17 hours ago, nathanh said:

The fact is though, is although I like this years lineup because my taste is all over the place, it lacks an understanding of what it is as a festival and who they are catering to. By trying to cater to as many people as they can, they are failing to do any of it well.

Even rap this year is underrepresented and isn't bringing in the audience it did in 2021 and 2022. 

I look back on 2019 and that was ace with the genre defined days, that Foos day was outstanding. Geared towards day tickets though so I can see why they’ve mixed it up. Just leaves so many gaps now where there’s nothing I want to see.