2023 Festival

TheWaters

3 hours ago, sacred shape said:

Wet Leg, Nothing But Thieves, Sleep Token, Don Broco and Rina Sawayama are my best guesses. But see Sleep Token and Broco headlining Download instead

Don Broco are never headlining Reading

I really like them but they’re not going to get any bigger, unless they make some godlike LP which seems unlikely, given most bands have long peaked creativity wise by the stage they are at. 

Same for NBT. Wet Leg are too niche and while I again quite like them, a novelty act that will tire quickly

Sawayama and Sleep Token maybe…

Sleep Token will headline Download before the end of this decade. 

Wet Leg are one that I don’t see having staying power. I think they’ll be relegated to The Vaccines or Blossoms sort of size in 5 years time. 

Edited by Andre91

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Sleep Token will headline Download before the end of this decade. 

Wet Leg are one that I don’t see having staying power. I think they’ll be relegated to The Vaccines or Blossoms sort of size in 5 years time. 

They’ve had The Wombats on speed dial to replace Slowthai, guaranteed

On 5/24/2023 at 5:12 PM, sacred shape said:

Wet Leg, Nothing But Thieves, Sleep Token, Don Broco and Rina Sawayama are my best guesses. But see Sleep Token and Broco headlining Download instead

But I can't see any of those headlining. Don Broco yeah maybe but they don't have a "headline sound" and they've been out a while and haven't done much with it.

I guess it's as much the streaming and viral 9 second tik tok gratification views that drive the market now.

When I was in secondary school, we brought CDs and you'd get the entire hour long experience. Now you get Post Malone or Megan The Stallion releasing a single track, getting huge, and that being the only song kids listen to all summer.

Bands and artists are aiming to make a single good viral track and are not seeing any sort of reward for putting out more than that.

I feel we won't see those bands like Biffy, AM, Killers, Foos, RHCP, Kasabian, Muse etc again.

Got to say Nothing But Thieves are one I could see getting there. Very good live band. Sold out the O2 Arena on the last album and they’ve got an arena tour in England/Wales coming up including 2 nights at Wembley so if they continue their trajectory they could do it, probably need a bit more promotion for radio etc. though. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

It won’t work. Also having it on the Sunday night seems like a weird choice.

If it's designed to curtail the fuckwads that set fire to everything on Sunday nights then I'm all for it. But it seems like a logistical nightmare.

23 hours ago, Chad888 said:

But I can't see any of those headlining. Don Broco yeah maybe but they don't have a "headline sound" and they've been out a while and haven't done much with it.

I guess it's as much the streaming and viral 9 second tik tok gratification views that drive the market now.

When I was in secondary school, we brought CDs and you'd get the entire hour long experience. Now you get Post Malone or Megan The Stallion releasing a single track, getting huge, and that being the only song kids listen to all summer.

Bands and artists are aiming to make a single good viral track and are not seeing any sort of reward for putting out more than that.

I feel we won't see those bands like Biffy, AM, Killers, Foos, RHCP, Kasabian, Muse etc again.

Acts like this are still coming through, while not a band Sam Fender certainly has done this. While not popular on here Catfish are another example

Can look at many older albums on spotify and see one song has far far more streams than anything else, including from those acts listed.

Look at Sam's Town for example - two massive hits and everything else far smaller. If you look at Post Malone's albums its very similar, if anything less so for example on Beerbongs and Bentleys theres lots of huge hits

Think he's in a very different league to Megan Thee Stallion as well just to note, doubt she's sticking around but Post Malone is very much here to stay

2 hours ago, gregory said:

If it's designed to curtail the fuckwads that set fire to everything on Sunday nights then I'm all for it. But it seems like a logistical nightmare.

My guess would be great they’d run it through the app and tell people to bring earphones but the signal at Leeds can’t run contactless payments never mind that

12 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

My guess would be great they’d run it through the app and tell people to bring earphones but the signal at Leeds can’t run contactless payments never mind that

It's that bad at Leeds? I was surprised my contactless payment card worked on an EasyJet flight the other week, though I'm guessing if this is referring to pay-by-phone apps, that might be it's own problem.

16 hours ago, gregory said:

Also has the potential to be absolutely counter productive if you imagine the what 20,000 odd kids who can’t get in and all wander off en masse to find something else to do may get up to

A great idea otherwise, will hopefully work out and maybe become a nightly thing, for Reading at least

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

It's that bad at Leeds? I was surprised my contactless payment card worked on an EasyJet flight the other week, though I'm guessing if this is referring to pay-by-phone apps, that might be it's own problem.

You don’t need an internet connection to use cards etc in your phone wallet

The device taking the payment usually does though, which was the problem at Leeds

31 minutes ago, Benj said:

You don’t need an internet connection to use cards etc in your phone wallet

The device taking the payment usually does though, which was the problem at Leeds

Yeah that's a fairly fundamental thing. And given flights now have their own internal WiFi, would explain why that all worked fine for me on that Valencia-Gatwick route last week.

Lots of these mass scale events have shit signal tbf. Coventry for The Killers last year had pretty much none after the support act, and my expectations are pretty low for Muse at MK Bowl or the AM show I'm seeing in Middlesbrough being any better.

Edited by charlierc

26 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Yeah that's a fairly fundamental thing. And given flights now have their own internal WiFi, would explain why that all worked fine for me on that Valencia-Gatwick route last week.

Lots of these mass scale events have shit signal tbf. Coventry for The Killers last year had pretty much none after the support act, and my expectations are pretty low for Muse at MK Bowl or the AM show I'm seeing in Middlesbrough being any better.

Yup, you’d hope they’d be able to at least supply a working connection for vendors though

On 5/26/2023 at 8:49 PM, andyrhodes24 said:

These massive silent disco things run off bluetooth don't they - pretty sure thats how boardmasters works / the current r&l ones - hence how leeds works at the moment (it does have them right?)

there's no way they will tell people to bring their own headphones lol

often these work on a £20 deposit kind of thing to stop people nicking the headphones etc

Its clearly for the riots, nobody is buying a ticket for a fucking silent disco

Watching footage of Pulp's set from Bridlington last night and man, the organisers missed a trick by not booking them for MSW headline.

I know, I know, not their audience any more, but they're one of the very few acts who would make me put my hand into my pocket and fork out for a day ticket again. Ah well, got Sheffield in July to look forward to!

1 hour ago, VCK said:

Watching footage of Pulp's set from Bridlington last night and man, the organisers missed a trick by not booking them for MSW headline.

I know, I know, not their audience any more, but they're one of the very few acts who would make me put my hand into my pocket and fork out for a day ticket again. Ah well, got Sheffield in July to look forward to!

Really didn't miss a trick and you know exactly why lol

On 5/26/2023 at 6:23 PM, gfa said:

Acts like this are still coming through, while not a band Sam Fender certainly has done this. While not popular on here Catfish are another example

Can look at many older albums on spotify and see one song has far far more streams than anything else, including from those acts listed.

Look at Sam's Town for example - two massive hits and everything else far smaller. If you look at Post Malone's albums its very similar, if anything less so for example on Beerbongs and Bentleys theres lots of huge hits

Think he's in a very different league to Megan Thee Stallion as well just to note, doubt she's sticking around but Post Malone is very much here to stay

I think you missed the point that I very badly made.

To try and rephrase, is the current R&L format counter productive to give acts that rise where an example -

2023 - 10th down MS

2024 - 4th down FR

2026 - 3rd down R1

2027 - Headline FR

2029 - Headline R1

2032 - Headline MS

Or replace the FR with 1xtra.

The point I was making, the platform music comes in now does not cater for a band to rise through the ranks, cut their teeth, create their sound, become renowned.

The old format allowed bands that had staying power to cement their status, but now its a quick viral hit and they get shoved straight to subbing for the kids to put on Instagram with their hashtags.

7 hours ago, VCK said:

They would have sucked in an otherwise under representative demographic I think. 

18 hours ago, VCK said:

Was kind of a surprise tbf that they got booked at Reading in 2011 given it had already been 16 years since Different Class had come out by that point. Given they can sell out Finsbury Park and several arena shows on their own back, guess they don't need to do it.

13 hours ago, Chad888 said:

I think you missed the point that I very badly made.

To try and rephrase, is the current R&L format counter productive to give acts that rise where an example -

2023 - 10th down MS

2024 - 4th down FR

2026 - 3rd down R1

2027 - Headline FR

2029 - Headline R1

2032 - Headline MS

Or replace the FR with 1xtra.

The point I was making, the platform music comes in now does not cater for a band to rise through the ranks, cut their teeth, create their sound, become renowned.

The old format allowed bands that had staying power to cement their status, but now its a quick viral hit and they get shoved straight to subbing for the kids to put on Instagram with their hashtags.

Honestly have no idea what the bold bit means mate

funny how the announcement of a silent disco has spurred more chatter in here than the last set of actual names