2023 Festival

TheWaters

3 hours ago, Benj said:

Hahaha, know you hate it. Still haven’t done the Sunday yet. Don’t worry will get to it at some point 

You’ve killed this thread with your incessant, repetitive moaning. Youngsters aren’t drawn to forums anyway but they sure aren’t when all they see is people like you spouting the same tired, trite stuff that you do. 

You’ve helped kill the thing you profess to love, well done. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/2/2023 at 4:29 PM, TKOCF said:

It would be a good move for DL to keep four nights have have a reduced lineup on Thursday like the Y Not/Kendal Calling/Truck group. Maybe have a band like Enter Shikari or Royal Blood headline the Thursday.

Not sure

They struggle to fill the big slots each year with 3 days, think 4 days would make the issue even worse

4 hours ago, Benj said:

How different was the festival scene in 2019 and 2020 I guess when reading had this planned.

Has a lot of competition been added since? Are there less bands touring?

image.thumb.jpeg.00dfe10242168f09af87ff79a0779b1e.jpeg

Think this was very well booked more than anything. Lots of acts that blew up massively.

On 4/28/2023 at 2:36 PM, Benj said:

Yup, 20 acts a day less. 1/3 less choice at any one moment. 

People are finally waking up

This is how I'd imagine it looking if there was 1 MS and 1 NME again...

I did this last year and you could see it was actually stacked but looked spaced out and crap because of the formatting. This year it is just a very weak line up for a single MS, let alone 2!

TOTG CAM.jpg

16 hours ago, Andre91 said:

You’ve killed this thread with your incessant, repetitive moaning. Youngsters aren’t drawn to forums anyway but they sure aren’t when all they see is people like you spouting the same tired, trite stuff that you do. 

You’ve helped kill the thing you profess to love, well done. 

Awww poor Andre, I’ve killed his little play thread 

The festival has killed this thread, there would be zero traffic on here other than that being generated by Ed Sheeran discussed otherwise.🤣 

It’s been killed by having not being to discuss, as there is nothing to discuss any more?

Are you going?

What do you want to talk about instead? What special guests Imagine Dragons may bring out?
How many minutes of Imagine Dragons will you have to miss to not be at the back of Eilish

Oh the joy

Gate keeping loon. Other social media is much worse. At least this is slightly constructive although I guess it doesn’t allow you to act all cool slating bands all the youngsters came to talk about 

Edited by Benj
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

This is how I'd imagine it looking if there was 1 MS and 1 NME again...

I did this last year and you could see it was actually stacked but looked spaced out and crap because of the formatting. This year it is just a very weak line up for a single MS, let alone 2!

TOTG CAM.jpg

It’s not the best but again with options it looks so much stronger. And when people look back at previous line ups it’s all the small bands who’ve blown up who were playing in the tent that gets people excited about it. 

None of that these days

14 hours ago, gfa said:

Think this was very well booked more than anything. Lots of acts that blew up massively.

Which is the point . Which acts are plying who are going to blow up massively when they’re not booked?

Edited by Benj

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Awww poor Andre, I’ve killed his little play thread 

The festival has killed this thread, there would be zero traffic on here other than that being generated by Ed Sheeran discussed otherwise.🤣 

It’s been killed by having not being to discuss, as there is nothing to discuss any more?

Are you going?

What do you want to talk about instead? What special guests Imagine Dragons may bring out?
How many minutes of Imagine Dragons will you have to miss to not be at the back of Eilish

Oh the joy

Gate keeping loon. Other social media is much worse. At least this is slightly constructive although I guess it doesn’t allow you to act all cool slating bands all the youngsters came to talk about 

Just being a dickhead at this point really. You can make your point but you don't need to be so condescending

a new person at the forum isn't going to want to post in the benj it was better in my day echochamber are they

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Just being a dickhead at this point really. You can make your point but you don't need to be so condescending

a new person at the forum isn't going to want to post in the benj it was better in my day echochamber are they

He was the one being condescending and was frequently so to new posters who came in

If he wants to post about what niche bands he likes he’s still welcome too. Obv no chance of them playing at Reading any more as there’s not the slots but hey-ho, we shouldn’t talk about that as, we’re only here to psych people up for seeing the Seagirls (again…)

Give it two weeks @Benj and you’ll be posting the exact same thing you’ve posted multiple times already. Keeping a thread ‘alive’ by repeating the same thing again and again isn’t really an achievement. There’s nothing much else to discuss but that doesn’t mean the same thing needs discussing again and again, ad nauseam. 

45 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Give it two weeks @Benj and you’ll be posting the exact same thing you’ve posted multiple times already. Keeping a thread ‘alive’ by repeating the same thing again and again isn’t really an achievement. There’s nothing much else to discuss but that doesn’t mean the same thing needs discussing again and again, ad nauseam. 

Ok let’s be positive then, who are you looking forward to seeing..?

Edited by Benj

2 hours ago, Will b said:

image.jpeg.f285d5cb6ba47ef8e34337c16c7b585d.jpegprice per artist is telling 

The price per artist and Tik Tok metrics tell the story here. Ironically, it’s the worst festival of the lot to show off about to your mates. Can’t see how these stats make R&L the best festival in the UK

2 hours ago, Will b said:

image.jpeg.f285d5cb6ba47ef8e34337c16c7b585d.jpegprice per artist is telling 

The price per artist and Tik Tok metrics tell the story here. Ironically, it’s the worst festival of the lot to show off about to your mates. Can’t see how these stats make R&L the best festival in the UK

19 hours ago, Benj said:

Ok let’s be positive then, who are you looking forward to seeing..?

I’m hopefully going to get a Saturday day ticket for Leeds (I can’t do the whole weekend because I’m going to a wrestling show on the Sunday) and I’m looking forward to seeing FOALS because they were immense in 2016, I haven’t seen them since and I loved their last album. 

I’m also looking forward to Loyle Carner (one of my albums of the year last year) and Wet Leg, Bicep, Knocked Loose (I’ll be seeing them the week before at Bloodstock so I can’t wait to see the difference) and Pinkshift (a great little band). 

There’s tonnes I would want to see on the Killers day too (mostly the FR stage which is fantastic imo) but, alas, i won’t be able o go to that day. 

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

I’m hopefully going to get a Saturday day ticket for Leeds (I can’t do the whole weekend because I’m going to a wrestling show on the Sunday) and I’m looking forward to seeing FOALS because they were immense in 2016, I haven’t seen them since and I loved their last album. 

I’m also looking forward to Loyle Carner (one of my albums of the year last year) and Wet Leg, Bicep, Knocked Loose (I’ll be seeing them the week before at Bloodstock so I can’t wait to see the difference) and Pinkshift (a great little band). 

There’s tonnes I would want to see on the Killers day too (mostly the FR stage which is fantastic imo) but, alas, i won’t be able o go to that day. 

There is a lot of good stuff booked, as there always is. 

One thing I’m not is one of those Boomers who harks back to the 2000 lineup - “What has happened to this festival”

Friday Reading is easily the best day for me

Foals - Wet Leg - Bicep (should be closing the tent though 😡) - Frank Turner - Knocked Loose - Nessa Barret

The rest is a bit bare though

Saturday
McKenna - Bakar -Don Broco - Muna

Sunday
Humberstone - Baby Queen - KennyHoopla - High Vis

Probably a few more if discover if I give them a good listen

…another 16 acts or so a day to choose from would be nice though

🏃🏻💨 

17 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

That £8.67 is basically my whole complaint. It’s not like it was good anyway. It’s a proper piss take now.

6 hours ago, Benj said:

That £8.67 is basically my whole complaint. It’s not like it was good anyway. It’s a proper piss take now.

Exactly, and when you consider half of these acts played last year of the year before, or are completely uninspiring, it’s piss poor

This lineup is w*nk. I loved last year but my wife was pregnant and I wanted to go this year so we could both have a blast.

I've got the most generic taste in music, and I listen to most everything. This is a w*nk lineup, I'll try and get a Saturday ticket the week before but to spend what was 1500 for an Airbnb and 2 weekend tickets for just 19 decent acts - nah.

RL23_28.04.23_FINAL_READING_WEB_1000px-900x1273.jpg

Not going but I’d watch the following however I’d have a lot of clashes but also a lot of space with nothing to watch. 

Fri: Sam Fender, Foals, Wet Leg, YMAS, Sea Girls, Yard Act, Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls, Palaye Royale, Yonaka, Lauran Hibberd & Bilk.

My must sees would be Sam Fender, Foals, Palaye Royale and Yonaka effectively making a day ticket pointless by clashing them all. 

Sat: The Killers, Nothing But Thieves, Inhaler, Baby Queen, Lewis Capaldi, Slowthai, KennyHoopla, Joey Valance & Brae. 

Sun: Billie Eilish, Don Broco, Vistas, English Teacher & at a push Imagine Dragons and The Amazons if I could be bothered. 

Some of these are clutching as well, for example YMAS did a set on main in 2021 and I didn’t bother going so all in all not really worth it and bar Wet Leg (wouldn’t pay to go see them), Bilk and Joey Valence I’ve seen them all previously. 

9 hours ago, Chad888 said:

This lineup is w*nk. I loved last year but my wife was pregnant and I wanted to go this year so we could both have a blast.

I've got the most generic taste in music, and I listen to most everything. This is a w*nk lineup, I'll try and get a Saturday ticket the week before but to spend what was 1500 for an Airbnb and 2 weekend tickets for just 19 decent acts - nah.

RL23_28.04.23_FINAL_READING_WEB_1000px-900x1273.jpg

Did you just scrub off well over a dozen great acts to leave Imagine Dragons on there?

Is this satire? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

Did you just scrub off well over a dozen great acts to leave Imagine Dragons on there?

Is this satire? 

Imagine Dragons are the most generic bland band on there, and because of that there is nothing about them that is offensive and off putting. They are white bread and I'd happily eat a slice of that.

Thunder, Radioactive, Demons, Believer were some pretty big crowdpleasing tracks worldwide and I'd look forward to seeing them.

It's just a meme among music aficionados to hate them, like Nickelback and Nicholas Cage.

4 hours ago, foolee said:

Not going but I’d watch the following however I’d have a lot of clashes but also a lot of space with nothing to watch. 

Fri: Sam Fender, Foals, Wet Leg, YMAS, Sea Girls, Yard Act, Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls, Palaye Royale, Yonaka, Lauran Hibberd & Bilk.

My must sees would be Sam Fender, Foals, Palaye Royale and Yonaka effectively making a day ticket pointless by clashing them all. 

Sat: The Killers, Nothing But Thieves, Inhaler, Baby Queen, Lewis Capaldi, Slowthai, KennyHoopla, Joey Valance & Brae. 

Sun: Billie Eilish, Don Broco, Vistas, English Teacher & at a push Imagine Dragons and The Amazons if I could be bothered. 

Some of these are clutching as well, for example YMAS did a set on main in 2021 and I didn’t bother going so all in all not really worth it and bar Wet Leg (wouldn’t pay to go see them), Bilk and Joey Valence I’ve seen them all previously. 

To me there's a difference between "I'd watch", and "I want to see".

I'd meander round and find a spot on the grass for a few more bands than I want to watch. But I wouldn't go out of my way to watch them, no different to it they performed free in my local pub, I'd stand and listen for 10 minutes and carry on with my day.

If I'm paying £1500 for 2 people plus probably £500 on drinks/food for the weekend, I'd expect a lot more choice of a higher music quality, than what feels like 95% BBC introducing artists, and ten a penny cardboard cutout bands and singers.

On 5/6/2023 at 10:47 AM, Chad888 said:

Imagine Dragons are the most generic bland band on there, and because of that there is nothing about them that is offensive and off putting. They are white bread and I'd happily eat a slice of that.

Thunder, Radioactive, Demons, Believer were some pretty big crowdpleasing tracks worldwide and I'd look forward to seeing them.

It's just a meme among music aficionados to hate them, like Nickelback and Nicholas Cage.

They're pretty much an American Bastille. I don't think there's anyone who'd call themselves a devoted fan, and there's nothing dangerous or edgy about their music. But their songs were made for festival crowds and they will elicit a good singalong. They seemed to put on a good show when they last played.

Also I actually think Nickelback had some bangers. At least before they fully embraced their stadium rock sound.