2023 Festival

TheWaters

19 minutes ago, sacred shape said:

I've just bought tickets to see them in Huntingdon, Long Island. Lucky enough to be in NYC during their next tour! Will be my first time! 

You lucky bastard! Will be 5 years since they last played UK this August and every day I get more and more desperate for their return. If some UK shows are not announced soon I will probably start looking into flying to the US to see them 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DMCJ2 said:

do we think boygenius could get added considering the dates they have just before the fest? Would’ve thought they’re too big for any slots left tho

At the very most a secret set, but can't see them being officially announced with the Gunnersbury show being Festival Republic, and them wanting to shift the tickets for there first. Similar to the likelihood of Jamie T performing, which I'd also say is fairly low.

20 minutes ago, DMCJ2 said:

do we think boygenius could get added considering the dates they have just before the fest? Would’ve thought they’re too big for any slots left tho

can't see it tbh

1 hour ago, gfa said:

can't see it tbh

Yup they’re still in the UK that weekend (Scotland on the Sunday) but there’s just  no where for them to play and not really the type of act to get Reading goers’ blood pumping as a secret set in the FR

Reading Friday > Leeds Saturday > Scotland Sunday - would make a lot of sense though!

Muna and Loyle Carner are also doing the Scottish show

2 hours ago, DMCJ2 said:

I’ve never listened to any of boygenius’ constituent parts before but I listened to their songs yesterday and loved them and then listened to Phoebe’s album with the ghost on the front and really, really liked it. 

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’ve never listened to any of boygenius’ constituent parts before but I listened to their songs yesterday and loved them and then listened to Phoebe’s album with the ghost on the front and really, really liked it. 

Punisher is miles better than the first one as a whole

She’s utterly brilliant, the other two less so but good in parts

Edited by Benj

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’ve never been more jealous of anything than I am of them having Lil Nas X. 

Bloody Lizzo too. Imagine those parties on back-to-back evenings. 

Lizzo has co-headline billing with GNR apparently and the teatime legend Cat Stevens has been stuffed in the alphabetical pile. Takes a bit of pressure off the top looking very white male heavy which is a big thing in the article. I think Swifty dropped out and GNR were drafted in before Lizzo was available. 

On 3/3/2023 at 5:30 AM, BenG92 said:

Lizzo has co-headline billing with GNR apparently and the teatime legend Cat Stevens has been stuffed in the alphabetical pile. Takes a bit of pressure off the top looking very white male heavy which is a big thing in the article. I think Swifty dropped out and GNR were drafted in before Lizzo was available. 

Surely Cat Stevens adds to the Old White Man theme... 

gonna post in here and not clog up the 2024 thread with 2 main stage nonsense

---

Do we think they are kind of stuck with 2 main stages now? moving back to the old format means binning off 3 'headliners' and could be seen as scaling back etc - might get backlash etc

to be fair if they do it with AM booked nobody will give a shit

44 minutes ago, gfa said:

---

Do we think they are kind of stuck with 2 main stages now? moving back to the old format means binning off 3 'headliners' and could be seen as scaling back etc - might get backlash etc

Having sold it as an upgrade I think it will be hard for them to revert back and as a marketing trick it does do its job well, making the initial lineup drop looking far stronger than the full bill actually now is.

They could maybe do a year of co-headliners, they pretty much could've got away with it this year really bar Killers / Capaldi 

Ultimately I think they've commited to the two main stage thing as they physically cant fill the old lineup any more, there's just two many festivals (esp with Victourious seemingly doing well the same weekend) taking talent.

I think the only answer, IF sales do drop over time, would be to reduce the price and maybe the overall size. They're lucky the have the kids going, as it is otherwise very last days of V feeling... where they have no idea who their core audience is

Edited by Benj

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Having sold it as an upgrade I think it will be hard for them to revert back and as a marketing trick it does do its job well, making the initial lineup drop looking far stronger than the full bill actually now is.

They could maybe do a year of co-headliners, they pretty much could've got away with it this year really bar Killers / Capaldi 

Ultimately I think they've commited to the two main stage thing as they physically cant fill the old lineup any more, there's just two many festivals (esp with Victourious seemingly doing well the same weekend) taking talent.

I think the only answer, IF sales do drop over time, would be to reduce the price and maybe the overall size. They're lucky the have the kids going, as it is otherwise very last days of V feeling... where they have no idea who their core audience is

They 100% can fill the old lineup

they have like 5 genres and pay more than victorious no doubt anyway, can just poach who they want off them

2 hours ago, gfa said:

---

They’ve made a rod for their own back if they do want to revert to the old style, it’d look like a massive step backwards.

Problem though is that people have been fooled by a marketing trick as Benj says. We all know the lineup is no stronger than it was pre-change.

I’d argue that, in the old format, having Foals, Capaldi and Imagine Dragons as Main Stage subs and the MSW acts in the R1 tent would look stronger. Realistically that’s where most of those acts should be playing.

Edited by andyrhodes24

49 minutes ago, gfa said:

They 100% can fill the old lineup

they have like 5 genres and pay more than victorious no doubt anyway, can just poach who they want off them

Yup they obv could if they willing to pay.

What they’d have to pay is now a lot more due to the fact Victorious is also willing to pay.

A niche act is probably worth more to a Niche festival too. Neck Deep prob earn much more headlining Slam Dunk than playing 5th at Reading…

Same with the likes of Wonder Years etc… kind of cult act that would’ve been a great high Pit for ages, yet haven’t been for Reading for years, despite doing the Trees, Slam Dunk circuit etc loads of times 

They’re worth more to those festivals than they are Reading

6 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

A joke isn’t it, the premiums we pay for 1. 99% of acts being more popular here than on the continent, and 2. Brexit 🤣

3 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

And  3) The market is there. If they can get the money, they'll charge it.

I think it helps Werchter doesn't have the same issue as UK festival promoters have where dozens of people are all chasing the same acts to come play events.

And I say this even noting RW looks to have more going for it if I was gonna attend either.

• Upvote 1