2023 Festival

TheWaters

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

What confuses me is why everyone in here goes every year still - seems to be some younger people then older people who just moan moan moan. Fair enough like do what you want, but surely there are better festivals for your taste be it glasto, download, APE or somewhere abroad if you can afford that.

I don't think i'll ever return but like the chatter, could definitely do day tickets tho

I’ve done a complete 180 after this year. 2021 left a bad taste in my mouth but this year was great. A million times better in every way. LONG LIVE LEEDS. 

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

2018 was the worst lineup they’ve had since I started going in 2010 imo. Rubbish. 

It’s no 2019 which I realised after I had typed it! But yeah I think after 2017 the lineups have been really hit or miss for me. I look back at 2017 and it’s so damn heavy on that main stage.

Having thought about the rumoured names (and tried to convince myself that this can’t possibly be what the festival has come to) I don’t think there’s enough range there.

The last few years we have had a mix of proper rock, indie, rap and pop - whereas the 6 being talked about today all seem to cater to indie pop/indie rock with the exception of billie eilish being pure pop.

So final prediction:

MCR and Paramore - rock

Foals and Sam Fender - Indie

Kendrick Lamar - Rap

Billie Eilish - pop

The problem is there really doesn’t feel like there’s going to be any surprises anymore. Just like “yep, Billie Eilish and Sam Fender”. 

Not saying they’re bad or anything, I just wish we got a curveball like System in 2013 or Rage in 2020. Sure others will be able to contribute more.

43 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

This is the least hype I’ve ever known for an R&L lineup announcement in 12 years of posting on this forum. The least amount of hype by a million miles. Mental. 

Can I give my 2 cents on this?

Everyone… and I repeat EVERYONE recognises that this year is a weak touring year. This is why I think predictions and hype has been low.

Slowly but surely lineups have been coming out and it really looks like there’s a drought on exciting names.

When other festivals look to be having rough years, it’s almost a given that R&L will have a shaky set at the top.

If I’m honest though, R&L looks to be one of the only festivals who have actually managed to pull in a massive pop name (Billie). Look across the board and you will see that other festivals are really struggling to get the star power this year. Lots of repeats and predictable slots.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Can I give my 2 cents on this?

Everyone… and I repeat EVERYONE recognises that this year is a weak touring year. This is why I think predictions and hype has been low.

Slowly but surely lineups have been coming out and it really looks like there’s a drought on exciting names.

When other festivals look to be having rough years, it’s almost a given that R&L will have a shaky set at the top.

If I’m honest though, R&L looks to be one of the only festivals who have actually managed to pull in a massive pop name (Billie). Look across the board and you will see that other festivals are really struggling to get the star power this year. Lots of repeats and predictable slots.

I suppose this makes sense. Virtually every artist was touring and fighting for positions mid-2021 to 2022 at festivals.

I go every year and always have a belta..always sumin to do. I listen to nearly all the line up on lead up to the festival. They usualy know the shiit im gonna like before i know it haha im easily lead. Highlights last year were megan, delta heavy, bring me, bru c, pendulum secret set, denzil curry,willow, ashniko. Gettin high in camper...this year still gonna get me going no doubt. Might be the smaller acts...

31 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

Actually, I take that back, 2019 was great. Most of the top acts on main stage were bands which was surprising.

…The last year it was a proper festival

The main problem is the two main stages. The lineup in itself last year wasn’t bad.

There just wasn’t enough of it.

Too many periods where there was nothing you actually wanted to see for 2-3 hours if you didn’t like what was on the main stage….

it was the same in 2021. 

it’s highly doubtful I’ll be going in 2023 for that reason alone

17 minutes ago, foolee said:

I may agree had they not had Slipknot pull out. But I also wasn't a huge Metallic or RATM fan. Didn't even know who RATM were until the rumor came around. Whereas, Pendulum headlined the tent along with Blink, GNR and The Libertines reunions. Weezer played, Biffy Clyro played off of one of their best albums and Paramore were at their height.  

4 minutes ago, Benj said:

…The last year it was a proper festival

The main problem is the two main stages. The lineup in itself last year wasn’t bad.

There just wasn’t enough of it.

Too many periods where there was nothing you actually wanted to see for 2-3 hours if you didn’t like what was on the main stage….

it was the same in 2021. 

it’s highly doubtful I’ll be going in 2023 for that reason alone

Yeah it’s shit isn’t it. Especially when other festivals do the 2 main stage set up infinitely better in terms of the quality of acts booked. Mad Cool 2022 being a prime example.

Just now, mttJ said:

I did a day in 2021 but that’s my only experience with the two mains. 

Place felt empty without the NME tent, which was always my favourite part of the festival.

Yeah I last went in 2017, so it's going to feel a bit odd as contrast between both that and my 2011 journey and now. It's the lack of competition that's bewildering as well given it usually offered a solid alternative to whomever was on main.