2023 Festival

TheWaters

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Headlined a 45k festival this summer

Community in London? Not exactly a testament to their stature given it's had the likes of The Kooks headline, who are even further past the peak of their popularity.

1 hour ago, Josho1182 said:

In other news, Death Grips are playing Outbreak festival in June. Makes them super unlikely to play R&L

Screenshot_20221117-192015_Facebook.jpg

But now more likely for Download.

20 minutes ago, VCK said:

Community in London? Not exactly a testament to their stature given it's had the likes of The Kooks headline, who are even further past the peak of their popularity.

Still a 45k festival and they've done it twice

They headline lots of the mid-sized ones too. i'm not saying TDCC should be MSW headliner, just that MGK doing MSE sub is far from impossible given the size of these shows tdcc are doing.

Gerry did MSE sub too, he was pretty big back in 2021.

Seems there was a bit of a drop off in MSE sub size from 2021 to 2022 to be honest.

3 hours ago, gfa said:

Headlined a 45k festival this summer

An illness in the band means that they've cancelled some recent tour dates that would've been outside the UK, so I guess I'm not 100% sure what their stature is for an arena run. Community has always been its own niche in some respects, but they do fit the bill for there.

Whether its too soon to be having them back at R&L given their prominent spot there in 2021 is another matter. Didn't stop them re-booking Wolf Alice for both 21/22 though.

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Whether its too soon to be having them back at R&L given their prominent spot there in 2021 is another matter. Didn't stop them re-booking Wolf Alice for both 21/22 though.

Could 100% be back although i wasn't saying this

Just now, gfa said:

Could 100% be back although i wasn't saying this

Tbf, as far as the comparison goes, I don't know any Machine Gun Kelly songs but maybe a Spotify algorithm has worked in a way that I have yet to stumble across his repertoire. Can happen.

As far as stature goes I did see Two Door headline Truck in 2019, in a year where they also headlined London O2. So there is some clout, and not least given their 2021 crowd was enormous looking at the iPlayer feed. I don't think they're headlining, but equally, they're not at "Opening the Festival Republic stage" just yet. 

15 minutes ago, Brad75 said:

Never seen blur at r and l. Last time I saw them was at v festival. Everyone moaning that r and l is becoming more like v festival but I didn't think the line up when I went was too bad

Screenshot_2022-11-18-13-23-50-09.thumb.jpg.3b1d779c5f48ac62caa5a37dbb8b9688.jpg

It was a few years after that where V went all V. I live 10 minutes away from the weston Park leg and didn't touch it in the last 5 years. 

Remember this was the tail end of britpop in the charts, so V would of been loaded with britpop acts.

V97 was a great lineup.

Edited by thetime

1 hour ago, Brad75 said:

Never seen blur at r and l. Last time I saw them was at v festival. Everyone moaning that r and l is becoming more like v festival but I didn't think the line up when I went was too bad

Screenshot_2022-11-18-13-23-50-09.thumb.jpg.3b1d779c5f48ac62caa5a37dbb8b9688.jpg

Daft Punk, the Prodigy, Foo Fighters, Blur, Chems, Carl Cox... Good lord that is some lineup

On 11/17/2022 at 4:15 PM, SleepingGiants said:

I still don't think it's a given that Fender headlines MSE considering he was only this summer headlining mid-size feats like Tramlines and Victorious.

He was booked for those slots in mid-late 2021, the amount he has grown since then is ENORMOUS.

Genuinely, he's probably the biggest UK name in indie/rock rn behind AM and Liam Gallagher. Not saying he's necessarily better than the likes of Foals, Kasabian etc as that's up for debate - but he is absolutely bigger. 

He sold out his own show at Finsbury plus 2 Wembley shows this year. That's 70k London tickets and he's been touring like mad around it. 2 stadium shows in Newcastle is also ridiculous.

The TRNSMT slot placing him on par with Pulp & The 1975 says it all, MSE or nothing for Sam, surely.

Yes, R&L could wait till 2024 till he's absolutely certainly big enough for MSE but I think he's well clear of MSW by now, and with the lack of MSE-level acts in that demographic he'll be booked for 2023.

1975, LG, AM all done it recently and Foals, Kasabian, Courteeners, Catfish, Royal Blood etc. are all MSW level at the moment.

18 hours ago, Josho1182 said:

Nah, wouldn't come over then come back 2 weeks laater

Some bands have done just that when they've toured Europe. There's also the possibility of them doing a UK tour in June which would keep them in the UK.

4 hours ago, Brad75 said:

There was a time when V was basically another Reading and Leeds, before mainstream pop artists doing festival was common and festivals were just mostly rock with some hip hop and dance. This is the same festival who have booked the likes of Radiohead, Pixies, Morrissey, Beck, QOTSA and Sonic Youth before. Which is crazy as most of those artists wouldn't play R&L nowadays with QOTSA the obvious exception, never mind V in its later years.

20 minutes ago, R Shah said:

He was booked for those slots in mid-late 2021, the amount he has grown since then is ENORMOUS.

Genuinely, he's probably the biggest UK name in indie/rock rn behind AM and Liam Gallagher. Not saying he's necessarily better than the likes of Foals, Kasabian etc as that's up for debate - but he is absolutely bigger. 

He sold out his own show at Finsbury plus 2 Wembley shows this year. That's 70k London tickets and he's been touring like mad around it. 2 stadium shows in Newcastle is also ridiculous.

The TRNSMT slot placing him on par with Pulp & The 1975 says it all, MSE or nothing for Sam, surely.

Yes, R&L could wait till 2024 till he's absolutely certainly big enough for MSE but I think he's well clear of MSW by now, and with the lack of MSE-level acts in that demographic he'll be booked for 2023.

1975, LG, AM all done it recently and Foals, Kasabian, Courteeners, Catfish, Royal Blood etc. are all MSW level at the moment.

Spot on. Personally I think his music is pretty bland but there's no disputing he's the biggest name in UK music right now. And he is definitely a lot bigger than Catfish, Disclosure, Biffy, Megan, BMTH and Halsey, no debate.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, R Shah said:

I agree with your point, but I still think he might accept MSW. He's bigger than Courteeners, Catfish (I mean they're not a band atm anyway), Foals and Royal Blood, undisputed. 

But is he as big as the 75, AM, Blur, even Muse... all of which you'd consider MSE or nothing, I'd say probably not.

7 hours ago, Brad75 said:

Well I seem to recall reading an influential figure in the forming of the original V Festival in 1996 was Jarvis Cocker, who wanted to close the Different Class touring campaign with two big shows at either end of the country on back-to-back nights and ended up with the basis of V.

For a while in the 2000s it seemed to have a hybrid feel between rock and pop, which imo was kind of an alright balance as it was enough to attract poppier fans and the rock audience who couldn't afford or were intimidated by Reading. By the end it had pushed the balance a bit too far.

But then maybe there's a jealousy as an uncle lived in Chelmsford and got residents tickets, but I never thought to try it as a route in before they stopped booking acts I would go see.

4 hours ago, SleepingGiants said:

I agree with your point, but I still think he might accept MSW. He's bigger than Courteeners, Catfish (I mean they're not a band atm anyway), Foals and Royal Blood, undisputed. 

But is he as big as the 75, AM, Blur, even Muse... all of which you'd consider MSE or nothing, I'd say probably not.

Agree that he sits somewhere in the middle, he's still increasing in popularity though so it's inevitable he'll do MSE at some point. I don't think he'd accept MSW personally.

Whether they do it this year or wait for 2024 is the question...

However, even in 2023, I don't think Sam Fender MSE is considered a 'weak' booking. 

On 11/17/2022 at 5:24 PM, charlierc said:

An illness in the band means that they've cancelled some recent tour dates that would've been outside the UK, so I guess I'm not 100% sure what their stature is for an arena run. Community has always been its own niche in some respects, but they do fit the bill for there.

I don't think WA were meant to play in 2021,  and were just a fill in at Reading in 2021. There was no reason to otherwise be added onto the bill so late 

11 hours ago, Brad75 said:

Was my first ever festival, followed by Reading the next week. Well if you count me only going on the Blur day. 

21 hours ago, Brad75 said:

Fuck me those clashes - very dance leaning for that year at the time i must say, 3/4 biggest acts are dance