2023 Festival

TheWaters

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I see the insanity has now moved on to "Sam Fender isn't that big". This is worse than the the lead-up to the 2022 announcement. 

Sam Fender is big enough, however he's still a bit of a 'new name' in the music scene without the world wide status. Post Malone has a similar career trajectory but he was internationally big, Fender is more of a UK thing.

A new album topping the charts and he will draw one of the biggest crowds of the weekend (bigger than Greenday, nowhere near Eilish).

He is one of those headliners that in 10 years new festival goers will look and say "holy shit as if they had Sam Fender AND Billie Eilish that weekend, that's insane...who the fuck are Greenday?"

5 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

He is one of those headliners that in 10 years new festival goers will look and say "holy shit as if they had Sam Fender AND Billie Eilish that weekend, that's insane...who the fuck are Greenday?"

That's probably about right. I still look back at the 2019 poster in amazement sometimes to see Billie 5th down. Insanely on-point / lucky booking. 

10 hours ago, thewayiam said:

As for Fender, yes he's big but he's not the biggest ticket shifter around. He sold out two stadium dates in his home town....well who'd have thought it. Like just like saying Courteeners sold out Heaton Twice/Emirates. Liam selling Manchester.

Liam selling Manchester... and 2 nights at knebworth virtually ever festival in the country he's headlined etc etc. Liam is a huge ticket shifter.

Courteeners have done Heaton but they haven't sold it out twice in the same year i don't think? Sam Fender is on a bigger upward trajectory than courteeners imo

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

Courteeners have done Heaton but they haven't sold it out twice in the same year i don't think? Sam Fender is on a bigger upward trajectory than courteeners imo

This. I see Courteeners as more of a northern thing. Sure, they’ve sold out Heaton Park, but could they sell out Finsbury Park? I doubt it. Then again the undercard for Fender’s Finsbury Park gig was excellent so that may have helped.

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Foals are good, they aren't really relevant and dont necessarily draw a big crowd or stick in people's memories, not the demographic that attend R&L.

Of course KSI though is a swing in the other direction, kids love him because he's a famous shit talking, YouTube boxing, vlogger but his music is shit, unmemorable and all round crap. He will draw a crowd and will be memorable but people will talk for 20 years how bad his HL set was.

They need someone in between. Stormzy, Dave, AJ Tracy kind of acts that are relevant, iconic, popular and memorable. 

Paramore would have been a better choice than Foals.

The subjective comments you chuck around as fact, man. You sound deranged. 

Edited by Andre91

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

That's probably about right. I still look back at the 2019 poster in amazement sometimes to see Billie 5th down. Insanely on-point / lucky booking. 

Made KSI’s crowd look like the Tears’ in 2005

Cant have been a soul in the other tents

Postie was similar in 2018 to be fair

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Liam selling Manchester... and 2 nights at knebworth virtually ever festival in the country he's headlined etc etc. Liam is a huge ticket shifter.

It’s a bizarre comparison. Fender is 10x* the size of peak Courteeners 

*may be slight hyperbole

1 hour ago, gfa said:

I agree with Liam but it was the hometown comparison.

Fender took ages to sell out Finsbury. And yes he is massively bigger than Courteeners.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I agree with Liam but it was the hometown comparison.

Fender took ages to sell out Finsbury. And yes he is massively bigger than Courteeners.

Most stuff at Finsbury Park doesn't sell out full stop though, sure it didn't sell out the day it was announced but it sold out a good few months in advance

Community has never sold out there, nor did the George Ezra gig and ezra did the same slot as Fender at glasto a few years back.

MGK last night was every bit an R&L headline set. Perfect mix of his two genres, just take out the filler from the 27 songs he did and throw in Willow/Yungblud/Iann Dior to do the collab songs at the festival and it’d be ready. He did mention wanting to play R&L again soon and that he’d see us again very soon (just the usual spiel) and very much an emo crowd from where I was standing.

• Upvote 2

Just catching up with the forum after some time away. The fact KSI is mentioned to headline is a very interesting one. I for one won’t be complaining - I love the guy lol and I’m 23 (so I’m young, but not a teenager as previously mentioned in this topic) and I’ve seen JJ / KSI countless times, watched his content for 12 years, consistently for 8 years, and all sidemen stuff for pretty much 4-5 years and even met him. So I love KSI but he is for an acquired taste. He just keeps exceeding everything though so nothing would surprise me and his crowd in 2021 was something to behold.

As for MGK, I’d love to see it. But co-headline, or at least on MSW Headline. I have a feeling he’ll be special guest though instead of headline, as it’s a huge name act, where they can stop the headline backlash and still get him in.

Is Billie almost too big now? I don’t know. But she smashed Glasto’s set and after seeing her in June, as well as 2019’s festival she’s always great. I’d love to see it

there’s so many being mentioned this year (Muse, Billie, KSI, TØP, Blink, Metallica, MGK, YUNGBLUD,  Paramore, Sam Fender, BMTH, Doja.. just to name a few) and I do like the unpredictability of it.

I imagine we’ll get an announcement next month.. my prediction as for right now are as follows:

MSE headliners: Muse, My Chem (idk, gut instinct) and KSI

MSW Headliners: Paramore, Sam Fender, TØP.

and I’d be happy with 5/6, not a huge fan of Sam Fender but I’d watch dependant on the other stages at the time. I only know Paramore’s big hits but definitely would watch. I didn’t see them (but heard it, I live nearby) in 2014 (I think?) but obviously time changes things. The others I’d be very happy with. I do feel it’s way too stacked for FR / R&L to pull out of the bag though.

No one knows, we’ll just have to keep waiting.

I think YUNGBLUD and MGK will be there but not as headliners. It’s times like these where I wish the R1 tent would return though, they’d both pack that tent, what an atmosphere it would be.

5 minutes ago, TownNation said:

Is Billie almost too big now? I don’t know. But she smashed Glasto’s set and after seeing her in June, as well as 2019’s festival she’s always great. I’d love to see it

Nah, nobody's too big for L&R, they just budget accordingly. AM played this year and will 100% headline Glasto in 2023 as well as touring a bunch of stadiums. 

10 minutes ago, TownNation said:

Just catching up with the forum after some time away. The fact KSI is mentioned to headline is a very interesting one. I for one won’t be complaining - I love the guy lol and I’m 23 (so I’m young, but not a teenager as previously mentioned in this topic) and I’ve seen JJ / KSI countless times, watched his content for 12 years, consistently for 8 years, and all sidemen stuff for pretty much 4-5 years and even met him. So I love KSI but he is for an acquired taste. He just keeps exceeding everything though so nothing would surprise me and his crowd in 2021 was something to behold.

As for MGK, I’d love to see it. But co-headline, or at least on MSW Headline. I have a feeling he’ll be special guest though instead of headline, as it’s a huge name act, where they can stop the headline backlash and still get him in.

there’s so many being mentioned this year (Muse, Billie, KSI, TØP, Blink, Metallica, MGK, YUNGBLUD,  Paramore, Sam Fender, BMTH, Doja.. just to name a few) and I do like the unpredictability of it.

I imagine we’ll get an announcement next month.. my prediction as for right now are as follows:

MSE headliners: Muse, My Chem (idk, gut instinct) and KSI

MSW Headliners: Paramore, Sam Fender, TØP.

and I’d be happy with 5/6, not a huge fan of Sam Fender but I’d watch dependant on the other stages at the time. I only know Paramore’s big hits but definitely would watch. I didn’t see them (but heard it, I live nearby) in 2014 (I think?) but obviously time changes things. The others I’d be very happy with. I do feel it’s way too stacked for FR / R&L to pull out of the bag though.

No one knows, we’ll just have to keep waiting.

I think YUNGBLUD and MGK will be there but not as headliners. It’s times like these where I wish the R1 tent would return though, they’d both pack that tent, what an atmosphere it would be.

1. Why is KSI on MSE 😂

2. How is he an 'acquired taste' hes just chart rap 

---

did the info say KSI and MGK headlining in the same year, the backlash will be absolutely mental

Edited by gfa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, TownNation said:

…and I’d be happy with 5/6, not a huge fan of Sam Fender but I’d watch dependant on the other stages at the time.

If it’s like the Saturday this year, your choice on other stages would be Wilkinson or Krept and Konan. 

#bringbackthebigtent

Just now, Andre91 said:

There won’t be any backlash. Both will go down really well. 

Both are a joke in my head and i think most of my group of 21 year olds would agree. a lot of people would like it but anyone who likes indie (a big amount of attendees still) will think its a joke. both are a big step down from say MTS who was mocked a bit this year

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Both are a joke in my head and i think most of my group of 21 year olds would agree. a lot of people would like it but anyone who likes indie (a big amount of attendees still) will think its a joke. both are a big step down from say MTS who was mocked a bit this year

Neither act would go down well when first announced, very few acts ever do. People turned up to watch MTS though and they’ll watch MGK as well, I doubt FR care at all about the Twitter reaction if they’re still shifting tickets

7 hours ago, gfa said:

There's a difference though.

MTS is a serious artist that appeals to a specific sector of music fans, she will get bigger but at the time of her HL appearance, she was not headliner size.

KSI is a flavour of the month, autotune rapper who is only famous for being a shit talking vlogger that boxes other shit talking vloggers. He will never get bigger, he will be forgotten about like other viral social media stars that started rapping, made some ear worms and then vanished in to obscurity - Jake Paul, Big Shaq, Ricegum, Lil Xan, Pink Guy, Bella Pouch, That Septic Guy.

It will probably be a great booking for this year, but the legacy of the festival will crumble and in a year when he isn't popular anymore because another TikToker has pipped him, people will be mortified how they went from Stormzy, Dave to KSI, and the festival will not be seen as one of the UKs biggest shows.

Edited by Chad888