2023 Festival

TheWaters

11 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Like Arrdee vs 1975? 

Arrdee with his middle class white boy act is still bigger than KSI. 

If you put Kylie Jenner in the tent taking selfies with fans, that would get the biggest crowd of the weekend. Doesn't mean its a good booking.

He’s not bigger than KSI when KSI has sold out Wembley Arena. That’s how it works. 

3 hours ago, Benj said:

So you’re saying it wouldn’t be dangerous as Green Day would be a big enough draw?

There’s been many rammed tents over the years at different times. When it came to it, by the sounds of it he’d ram it out but it would be no worse than 1975  and 21 pilots in 2016, Bloc Party 2005, Ash 2001 etc…

A great booking offering a great alternative, as opposed to now…

No i wasn't saying that KSI is bigger than sam fender, green day and billie eilish.

16 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

If KSI gets the crowd and sells the tickets he deserves to headline. I know nothing about his music, but, like, he sells records, albeit thanks to other stuff he's done in past.

Lewis Capaldi wouldn't be massive if he wasn't funny. Hell, Harry Styles probably hasn't gotten where he is solely on musical talent, and has turned out to be great. Both have deservingly headlined huge festivals and pulled massive crowds. Love them or loathe them, they aren't often accused of being unserious artists.

It does feel like a shortcut that he can get to the same point as Foals, Paramore, BMTH and other huge bands like that, but hey, FR won't see it that way. Dude has his talents and will sell tickets.

This is how festivals die…

image.thumb.jpeg.8f4f86b9ca9bd05f03b989aa643c21fd.jpeg

All ticket shifters. When the rep Of the festival dies though and then that audience you relied on then ☠️

Of course we’re in a whole new world now and Reading has always been brilliant at riding the wave of what’s in, if there is suddenly a swing trend back to substance and credibility and the festival has none left, as it’s peddled itself to TikTok, will the kids still want to go?

I think Readign will be fine and as covered Infinium I think the longer term dange is in the much more restricted lineups they now have post 2019, rather than booking KSI to headline. 

As a regular goer, I really struggle to see value in the new format

57 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Arrdee with his middle class white boy act is still bigger than KSI. 

If you put Kylie Jenner in the tent taking selfies with fans, that would get the biggest crowd of the weekend. Doesn't mean its a good booking.

Kylie Jenner hasn't been making music for over 7 years. These Kardashian comparisons are bollocks and you know it. 

Edit: and if you think they're putting KSI on the 1extra stage where arrdee was you've lost the plot completely. 

Edited by BenG92

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Or Foals. 

Miles bigger than Foals, how many YouTube followers do those mugs have?

He’s even got twice the Spotify listeners and their headline set crowd was nowhere near who he drew mid arvo on the main stage. 

A much more deserving headliner when you think properly about it

Edited by Benj
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Anyway. Aren't Green Day, Foals, Billie and Sam Fender all brilliant? Right guys?

Passable. Look they're not all to my music taste, but there's no disputing that both Green Day and Billie are comfortably big enough to headline and Foals are decent size MSW headliner. I feel like Fender probably exists between the two slots but is fine for MSE headliner. Would've liked to see Kasabian back on MSW, Muse back on MSE and definitely a bigger rap headliner (Travis Scott, Eminem etc) rather than solely KSI (If his music is even rap anymore, more like RnB/pop arguably).

But you can't get everything you want in life...

3 minutes ago, SleepingGiants said:

I also think it's wierd how everyone has taken one person's word as gospel on an internet forum. However good his track record may be, one person saying something on an internet forum is about as valid as some random proclaiming the lineup in a pub...

If that person at the pub had delivered legitimate information before that turned out to be accurate, then yeah. 

Edited by Andre91

5 minutes ago, SleepingGiants said:

I also think it's wierd how everyone has taken one person's word as gospel on an internet forum. However good his track record may be, one person saying something on an internet forum is about as valid as some random proclaiming the lineup in a pub...

I hope this is a joke about Dan running a pub.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

If that person at the pub had delivered legitimate information before that turned out to be accurate, then yeah. 

Look if KSI is headlining then I will completely eat my words and all props to the source, because calling that is about the most out-there call you could make within reasonable perimeters.

1 hour ago, wro_lap said:

Anyway. Aren't Green Day, Foals, Billie and Sam Fender all brilliant? Right guys?

It’s a weird mix that I’d struggle to get excited about personally. Billie would be massive and Green Day ace if I hadn’t just seen them. Foals and Fender are really meh to me but it comes back to the thing of there not being an abundance of headline size UK guitar bands. Tbf Fender is as current as they come

16 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

It’s a weird mix that I’d struggle to get excited about personally. Billie would be massive and Green Day ace if I hadn’t just seen them. Foals and Fender are really meh to me but it comes back to the thing of there not being an abundance of headline size UK guitar bands. Tbf Fender is as current as they come

Uninspiring to me.

As much as try and appreciate Eilish, it’s just not for me. 

Greenday did a load when I was a kid

Fender played last year

Foals alright. 

KSI not for me

to be honest whoever is 6th is unlikely to excite me much unless it’s Kenny hoopla!

Billie Eilish - one of the absolute biggest artists on the planet. 

Green Day - multi-generational defining band who will always go down well at R&L, no matter how much it changes. They’re ubiquitously massive. 

Sam Fender - one of the biggest ticket shifters in the country right now. 

Foals - festival favourite, in the form of their lives and shift tickets still.

KSI - we’ve established our opinions on him these last couple of days. 

MGK (likely) - big arena seller and a massive name. 

It’s a very R&L set of headliners and KSI aside, I don’t think it’s even arguable that it’s a collection of big names. 

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Green Day - multi-generational defining band who will always go down well at R&L, no matter how much it changes. They’re ubiquitously massive. 

It’s a very R&L set of headliners and KSI aside, I don’t think it’s even arguable that it’s a collection of big names. 

Foals are definitely neither in the form of their lives or particularly big ticket shifters!

8 minutes ago, Benj said:

Uninspiring to me.

As much as try and appreciate Eilish, it’s just not for me. 

Greenday did a load when I was a kid

Fender played last year

Foals alright. 

KSI not for me

to be honest whoever is 6th is unlikely to excite me much unless it’s Kenny hoopla!

Been fortunate enough to see them all in the last three years, Billie was excellent twice, Green Day, Fender and Foals we’re just a bit pedestrian (Foals was Big Weekend tbf) and KSI was garbage. As Andre says though, can’t deny they’re all massive acts in their own right and would be very R&L bookings. I’ll reserve judgement on MGK until after the gig tomorrow!

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Yup not bad at all if folk haven’t seen them.

Prob better than last year for me personally but still pretty meh

MGK would be the one I would be most looking forward to

Just now, Andre91 said:

Did you see their Glasto set? Also, look at their last tour, too. Plenty of tickets sold. More than big enough to headline MSW. 

Yep just looked into their last tour. Most venues around the 10,000 mark with some being as little as 3,000 capacity. Wouldn't call that being a big shifter.

I like Foals but there's no debate they're not in their prime right now.