When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Some of the scientists trying to get us lo locked up again, even though there isn't a justification for ridiculous restrictions given the much lower hospitalisations rate

50 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Hahaha yeah good luck with another lockdown.

Count me out.

Those criteria in there had better not be true. If hospitalisations continue at this rate?? They're not exactly going to go down as we head into winter, and this is before any flu pressure and whatever else the NHS has to deal with. I don't understand why there is this focus on just covid as if we can stop it. It has to be part of the overall considerations of NHS capacity now, as we aren't getting rid of it.

But if those are the criteria though, it doesn't sound promising for deeper into winter, when simple logic tells us the covid numbers will be higher due to regular respiratory season reasons, on top of bigger NHS pressure from other issues.

Preparing to bring back social distancing this month? Sort of makes their passports a bit redundant as that cancels gatherings anyway

Edited by efcfanwirral

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Those criteria in there had better not be true. If hospitalisations continue at this rate?? They're not exactly going to go down as we head into winter, and this is before any flu pressure and whatever else the NHS has to deal with. I don't understand why there is this focus on just covid as if we can stop it. It has to be part of the overall considerations of NHS capacity now, as we aren't getting rid of it.

But if those are the criteria though, it doesn't sound promising for deeper into winter, when simple logic tells us the covid numbers will be higher due to regular respiratory season reasons, on top of bigger NHS pressure from other issues.

Preparing to bring back social distancing this month? Sort of makes their passports a bit redundant as that cancels gatherings anyway

Hospitals are already pretty busy with backlog + covid + everything else, so could be a difficult winter (and beyond). NHS needs more cash, and govt has already said going to spend an extra £5.4 billion to help it through this winter...but going to need more beyond that too which I guess is part of the reason why they're going to start raising taxes. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Hospitals are already pretty busy with backlog + covid + everything else, so could be a difficult winter (and beyond). NHS needs more cash, and govt has already said going to spend an extra £5.4 billion to help it through this winter...but going to need more beyond that too which I guess is part of the reason why they're going to start raising taxes. 

Frankly I've got no complaints at paying a freedom tax to continue living life for more than a few months a year. Not everyone is able to though I get that. Maybe have a threshold? 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

I reckon it's someone from SAGE leaking to the press to bounce the govt into stuff. It's a contingency plan in case things gets bad is all

Absolutely no justifications for those restrictions as it stands.

6 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

*only*

More weeks of lost education...

If they did a firebreak it would go beyond schools closing surely.  Simply closing schools a bit longer wouldn't but a dent in 100,000 cases a day.

Fire breaks just kick the can down the road.

Wasn’t it shown to be utterly pointless in Wales when they had one?

Woken up to read this shite. How long is this going to go on. At what point does the government have to admit that it’s completely torn apart the NHS and this is the reason why? This is nothing to do with COVID getting worse it’s because the NHS isn’t fit for purpose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Woken up to read this shite. How long is this going to go on. At what point does the government have to admit that it’s completely torn apart the NHS and this is the reason why? This is nothing to do with COVID getting worse it’s because the NHS isn’t fit for purpose.

It easy to forget that less than 20 years ago Gordon Brown put up National insurance and said if we let him he'd give us a world class healthcare system fit for anything the 21st century would throw at it. Personally speaking I thought this would happen as the boomers approached life expectancy and that was before covid turned up. My plan has always been to get out but brexit and then covid restrictions has made that more difficult.

Its only going to get worse not just oldies using the NHS more but state pensions taking 3.6% of GDP in 1992 will be almost double that in 2042. The support systems we set up post world war 2 were always based on alot of workers supporting a few oldies.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

It is to do with covid in that NHS backlog is due to covid, and now NHS coping with that + new covid + flu etc.

6 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Fire breaks just kick the can down the road.

Wasn’t it shown to be utterly pointless in Wales when they had one?

IF they were to bring one in earlier than January, I'd assume it'll keep being extended for that reason  

To be honest, if people meet up at christmas with all this immunity debt and covid going around, and with the NHS being in the state it is, I don't see how a few months of pretty heavy restrictions can be avoided as January will be brutal. 

No excuses for next year after the tax rises though 

20 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I have a funny feeling spring/summer's freedoms will be based on all of us having a 3rd....I hope they have some more concrete evidence it's needed by then 

Israel already talking about a 4th 😆

21 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

IF they were to bring one in earlier than January, I'd assume it'll keep being extended for that reason  

To be honest, if people meet up at christmas with all this immunity debt and covid going around, and with the NHS being in the state it is, I don't see how a few months of pretty heavy restrictions can be avoided as January will be brutal. 

Well, theyd have to extend furlough. And i dont think they will do that. 

Just because the minister hasnt denied it, doesnt mean its happening. 

I think one or 2 for the lockdown loving nerds on SAGE are trying to brief their way into restrictions, but hopefully they get told to bugger off

Edited by zahidf

23 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Hahaha I just came on to post pretty much everything you did, right down to that particular section which is just one of many highlights.

Changing behaviours in that way will not happen. If it does, it'll make these things not worth going to. 

"Because they are good citizens". Fucking hell. 

It's entirely over the top for the current situation, but it's interesting thinking - if it were possible it could have been a way to keep certain events going during the worst parts of all this rather than having a lockdown.

I suspect people are right, that people just wouldn't have gone along with it, and that's probably why we didn't try. Or indeed, won't try in any sort of future pandemic.

20 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

My fave response - kind of sums it up..

Funny to think about how some of the posters here sided with the nutters at Indy Stage.  I often lie awake at night wondering what became of @MrBarry465

If at any point in the past 18 months you have felt like the government didn't act strongly enough or quickly enough, you were probably in agreement with Independent Sage. With the "nutters". Plenty of us agreed with them on some things and not on others, and in some cases we were right and in other cases we were wrong.

When Christina Pagel was shouting about how the government's plans for Christmas mixing were dangerous you were shouting out in agreement (and I was disagreeing, 'cause I'm an idiot - but I guess at least I wasn't siding with the nutters then?)

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's entirely over the top for the current situation, but it's interesting thinking - if it were possible it could have been a way to keep certain events going during the worst parts of all this rather than having a lockdown.

I suspect people are right, that people just wouldn't have gone along with it, and that's probably why we didn't try. Or indeed, won't try in any sort of future pandemic.

If at any point in the past 18 months you have felt like the government didn't act strongly enough or quickly enough, you were probably in agreement with Independent Sage. With the "nutters". Plenty of us agreed with them on some things and not on others, and in some cases we were right and in other cases we were wrong.

When Christina Pagel was shouting about how the government's plans for Christmas mixing were dangerous you were shouting out in agreement (and I was disagreeing, 'cause I'm an idiot - but I guess at least I wasn't siding with the nutters then?)

Tbf fake SAGE were often right at the beginning, but they haven't adapted to the new reality with vaccines and high coverage. I feel they are stuck in their old anti govt ways and are attacking them for the sake of it.

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Hopefully they'll cancel Christmas again.

Sky headline is an exaggerqation

Nadhim Zahawi, the vaccines minister, said he had not seen any plan for a firebreak lockdown. Asked on BBC Breakfast whether the government was looking at a possible lockdown in October, he said: “No, I haven’t seen any [plans] ... I know where this question comes from. The i newspaper was reporting that they think there could be a possible lockdown. Look, vaccines have given us the ability to reduce infections, to save 100,000 lives.    

“It is through the booster programme that I hope … we can transition the virus from pandemic to endemic status and deal with it, year in, year out. It is going to be with us for many years, but not [so we] have to close down our economy or take the severe measures we had to sadly take in December of last year.”