When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

31 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so we're still with the less severe, more transmissible dilemma...big decision for bojo. I think Blair has already called it to be honest, either full lockdown or nothing...and no one wants a full lockdown now...so just let it go and hope for the best...

We're also at the point where visibly not putting restrictions in becomes political currency in the sense that Bojo can do the rounds and say "look, Nicola and Drakeford shat the bed over absolutely nothing and fucked their economy up, whereas we made the right call and it's had minimal follow through". He needs his polling numbers back up so riding this out could potentially do it for him.

5 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

We're also at the point where visibly not putting restrictions in becomes political currency in the sense that Bojo can do the rounds and say "look, Nicola and Drakeford shat the bed over absolutely nothing and fucked their economy up, whereas we made the right call and it's had minimal follow through". He needs his polling numbers back up so riding this out could potentially do it for him.

yeah, definitely. It's not just polling though...he has lost support within his own party. There's no way this government are going to bring back any sort of lockdown (unless gets really super bad...starts killing young men or something).

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, definitely. It's not just polling though...he has lost support within his own party. There's no way this government are going to bring back any sort of lockdown (unless gets really super bad...starts killing young men or something).

Especially when the next no 10 party leak comes out. I wonder what It'll be? Johnson, Gove and Rees-Mogg playing twister perhaps?

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

As long as we don't have the confidence to stop testing and start living and end isolation we will have this issue 

yeah...eventually we're going to have to do all this...we're not there yet though...maybe some time in 2022...we're going to have so many vaccines and antivirals available that are hopefully being used globally...and it will be time to move on...hopefully.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

so we're still with the less severe, more transmissible dilemma...big decision for bojo. I think Blair has already called it to be honest, either full lockdown or nothing...and no one wants a full lockdown now...so just let it go and hope for the best...

To me one of the biggest issues about this is the impact of nhs staff having to isolate leaving the system under massive strain. I think all the focus on severity, hospitalisation, deaths etc misses this crucial point.

25 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Boris: “Don’t go to the pubs”

Pubs: “Our pubs are empty”

Boris: “But we haven’t technically  closed you”

yes, something like that.

I've been to the pub a few times this week and actually found it very pleasant, can get a seat, no queue at the bar...shit for the pub's profits of course..

46 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yeah its not my responsibility to make sure the NHS has enough workers 

No but if you need to use the NHS and can't then it affects you. 

Obviously very different but it has been interesting seeing people's different attitudes to problems in hospitality this year, whether that's staff shortages or supply issues. Generally, most have been understanding. Some begrudgingly so. Some have just been furious. Like, wreck your holiday for your entire family furious.

51 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yes, something like that.

I've been to the pub a few times this week and actually found it very pleasant, can get a seat, no queue at the bar...shit for the pub's profits of course..

We've been dead. December up until the school holidays is usually quiet, but then we should fill up. It's been busier, but nothing like it should. Next week is usually really busy. In a normal year we'd have pretty much filled up a couple of weeks back, then the last few rooms go last minute. We're still only about half full for NYE which is unheard of. 

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

much easier to write that tweet then manage health services that are struggling because of increase hospitalisations and lack of staff.

Lol what? It's not our job to manage the NHS. why should I agree to limit my life because of NHS incompetence?

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's because of lack of resources rather than NHS incompetence...fucks sake they've been working their arses off the last few years and all you do is moan on here.

Ah I meant to say Govt incompetence!

Oh, I appreciate its not the workers fault. But there was a staffing crisis pre covid. I dont see why we should have restrictions because the govt couldn't be bothered sorting it out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Ah I meant to say Govt incompetence!

Oh, I appreciate its not the workers fault. But there was a staffing crisis pre covid. I dont see why we should have restrictions because the govt couldn't be bothered sorting it out.

to be fair the govt are raising taxes to throw at the NHS, but that money won't be there yet...but yes, years of austerity means hospitals were pushed to the limit every winter even before covid...and they could surely see that there were going to be problems this winter.