When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

6 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

Do you not think this is because people have altered their behaviour so as not to be isolating over Christmas rather than something intrinsic within Omicron which means it spikes and falls quickly?

If people have altered behaviour then there's no need for further restrictions if the altered behaviour decreases cases without them. 

It might be enough to spread out any hospital admissions so capacity isn't breached. 

I think the key thing will be to look at whether the medical officers independently put the alert level to 5. If that happens then restrictions are basically guaranteed to come back.

35 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

If people have altered behaviour then there's no need for further restrictions if the altered behaviour decreases cases without them. 

It might be enough to spread out any hospital admissions so capacity isn't breached. 

I think the key thing will be to look at whether the medical officers independently put the alert level to 5. If that happens then restrictions are basically guaranteed to come back.

True but then there will be another explosion in January after normal service resumes, so just kicking the can down the road a bit (albeit with millions more boosters)?

4 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

True but then there will be another explosion in January after normal service resumes, so just kicking the can down the road a bit (albeit with millions more boosters)?

The pandemic is just one long game of kicking the can down the road by spreading out infections to an amount hospitals can cope with until it settles down at a steady state either through collective immunity or increased healthcare capacity.

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Wales is the biggest nanny state going. 

A big part of it is probably because it’s a cesspit for youth opportunity and anyone who wants to do something exciting with their life gets out.

Yeah what we really need is some good solid Tory leadership. That will see us right and teach the people who keep electing Labour a lesson 🙄

There’s a reason there are limited opportunities, and it’s not the Welsh governments fault. 

I don’t know how anybody can argue against the governments stance so far. They’ve waited and not panicked until the data has arrived, and now it has (with seemingly positive news) will make an informed decision in the interest of many factors.
They’ve got an awful lot wrong throughout the pandemic, but I wouldn’t say this is one of them at all. 

Edited by st dan

11 minutes ago, st dan said:

I don’t know how anybody can argue against the governments stance so far. They’ve waited and not panicked until the data has arrived, and now it has (with seemingly positive news) will make an informed decision in the interest of many factors.
They’ve got an awful lot wrong throughout the pandemic, but I wouldn’t say this is one of them at all. 

there is a risk with not acting early though, and that's been one of the main criticisms aimed at government with previous waves...but yes, maybe this time they've called it right. It's difficult, glad I don't have to make these decisions.

10 hours ago, zero000 said:

Yeah what we really need is some good solid Tory leadership. That will see us right and teach the people who keep electing Labour a lesson 🙄

There’s a reason there are limited opportunities, and it’s not the Welsh governments fault. 

Well maybe what Welsh Labour should do is listen to English Labour who are starting to wake up to the fact that people don’t want lockdowns and it’s slowly going to become a vote loser.

The traditional Labour way is to offer support to businesses and employees negatively effected by COVID. Not to create circumstances which put them in hardship. A drum Welsh Labour seem to keep banging.

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well maybe what Welsh Labour should do is listen to English Labour who are starting to wake up to the fact that people don’t want lockdowns and it’s slowly going to become a vote loser.

The traditional Labour way is to offer support to businesses and employees negatively effected by COVID. Not to create circumstances which put them in hardship. A drum Welsh Labour seem to keep banging.

Their policy is primarily to stop health services being overwhelmed, as that fucks the economy as well as many peoples' lives. But obviously can't keep bringing in restrictions as this virus becomes endemic, need to increase health care capacity and use more vaccines and antivirals etc. 

Edited by steviewevie

Think the deluge of IT'S FINE headlines this morning will probably pressure them to not put in restrictions, I can't see anything more than some very light touch stuff now unless the hospitalisations get bad.

On the downside I do think all the attention on these new studies will affect people's behaviour going into Christmas, because a huge portion of people will have been sensible over the past week or so, so there'll inevitably be a big increase in actual cases over the next week or so now people might be a bit more lax about mixing.