Sziget 2022

Matt86

13 minutes ago, branvan said:

I was there as well (because of The Blaze). The tent was fully packed and you weren't allowed to go outside because there was a thunderstorm near. They even stopped playing. I am not a big fan of Razorlight, but the concert was great and the crowd was singing along to the hits. 

Yeah, in my experience, "2000s british indie in the tent" shows are always great. I could really do with something like a sing-along to The Pigeon Detectives this year

48 minutes ago, Dutchfestivaladdict said:

I am so excited for SZiget! I could only have wished for these names! And in my opinion it’s amazing that they have Steve Aoki such a “low spot”. In my opinion I don’t get the high spot for Sam Fender tho. I know he has a lot of succes but sub headliner next to Stromae? 

Who is Stromae? 😉

Edited by swelsbyuk

10 minutes ago, opel said:

Catering to the British crowd I guess. But yeah, in my books he`s third from the top, if not an opener

He's recently sold out a 40,000 capacity gig at Finsbury Park in London. Pretty sure the only other act on the bill that could do that is Arctic Monkeys.

He's definitely not an opener.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

He's recently sold out a 40,000 capacity gig at Finsbury Park in London. Pretty sure the only other act on the bill that could do that is Arctic Monkeys.

He probably is quite close to be an opener to be honest, if it wasn't for the UK crowd.

He's only playing 3rd from top on the 2nd/3rd stage at rock werchter(alternating).

Stromae is going to have like 3 times more people in the crowd than Sam Fender

Popularity in UK doesn't matter. I went 10 or so years ago to The Stone Roses at Sziget and you could walk up to the first few rows. Kensington sells out arenas in the Netherlands and I saw them play for 800 people before as well

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

That`s not a UK thread, mate. Doesn`t always translate to mainland Europe. Look at his EU tour - it`s mostly Germany. 

George Ezra syndrome.

But I guess promoters hope it`s gonna be something in line of Catfish and the Bottlemen

1 hour ago, Dutchfestivaladdict said:

Still excited tho! This guy makes amazing music! 

Yeah, really looking forward to it, too, and I hope the British will bring on the heat and the voices and the mosh. Goosebumps, just thinking about it

Edited by opel

I just made this spreadsheet, someone may find it useful (also feel free to correct me 🙂)

1 hour ago, Dutchfestivaladdict said:

In my opinion I don’t get the high spot for Sam Fender tho. I know he has a lot of succes but sub headliner next to Stromae?

He's really successful in the UK and Brits are still the largest group of international visitors, I believe. And Sziget's sub-headliners are not always as big as you'd expect them to be. They had Jain, Tove Lo and Lykke Li in sub-headline spots in 2018/9.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, opel said:

That`s not a UK thread, mate. Doesn`t always translate to mainland Europe. Look at his EU tour - it`s mostly Germany. 

George Ezra syndrome.

But I guess promoters hope it`s gonna be something in line of Catfish and the Bottlemen

He's much bigger in the UK than either Catfish and George at the moment but appreciate UK success doesn't always equal European success. And vice versa, when you look at the likes of Stromae, Rosalia and Kensington.

17 minutes ago, Newjem said:

I just made this spreadsheet, someone may find it useful (also feel free to correct me 🙂)

He's really successful in the UK and Brits are still the largest group of international visitors, I believe. And Sziget's sub-headliners are not always as big as you'd expect them to be. They had Jain, Tove Lo and Lykke Li in sub-headline spots in 2018/9.

Impressive. Good work.

First thing I note is that Lewis Capaldi is unlikely to sub Dua Lipa, which I thought was a cert.

Edited by swelsbyuk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Impressive. Good work.

First thing I note is that Lewis Capaldi can't sub Dua Lipa, which I thought was a cert.

I hope he subs Bieber, even though it`s marked unlikely. He can easily do a quick in-and-out from England to Budapest

Edited by opel

20 minutes ago, opel said:

I hope he subs Bieber, even though it`s marked unlikely. He can easily do a quick in-and-out from England to Budapest

Stromae is subbing Bieber, that's a dead cert. Lewis could still sub Dua but don't think Budapest-UK in two days (with band and crew) is doable. Bastille and KoL also have gaps between their Sziget and Boardmasters shows.

Edited by Newjem

2 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Stromae is going to have like 3 times more people in the crowd than Sam Fender

Popularity in UK doesn't matter. I went 10 or so years ago to The Stone Roses at Sziget and you could walk up to the first few rows. Kensington sells out arenas in the Netherlands and I saw them play for 800 people before as well

I agree. I remember buying a ticket for Kensington in France : 19€. Same year in the Netherlands : 60€. And sold out of course 😅

about Sam Fender, I have to admit he’s not that popular in France , but still , it’s a good act that I will be happy to see 🙂 

1 hour ago, Newjem said:

When they said it was impressive I didn't think it was that impressive. Nice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

If Stromae is subbing Bieber and they are both as popular as it appears then that day could rival Ed's for turnout. And that was hella busy.

it was rammed for ed. We were between the a38 and mainstage by the merch stand, and it was all closed off it was that rammed and people had to go around an alternative route to get there. Security were getting quite a bit of hassle.

Once he came on though, lots of fresh air around the a38 and bars. 😀

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

We have all (bar one) of the 19:45 and 21:30 acts in yellow and light blue. I guess the question is how many of the purple acts are playing at 17:45 on the main stage and how many are playing at 23:45 in the A38.  

I fear we only have three or four 'well known names' to be announced. At sub level hopefully that will be Foals or Glass Animals (from a selfish p.o.v) but I could see Alan Walker, Jungle, Sigrid, Caribou and maybe slowthai headlining the A38, meaning we only have one (or, possibly, two) more A38 headliners incoming. 

We're certainly not going to get Stormzy, Foals, Glass Animals, Keane, Dave etc all being announced. Sadly, I'm now at a stage of considering this the final line-up for the main stages and if anything extra comes along in the next announcement then that's a bonus.

274473990_10161770328573975_5728239749195201118_n.png

Three or four well known names? I think you're being very optimistic. One sub and that's it I'd say tbh. Maybe some others for A38 but unlikely to be well known judging by today's announcement.

37 minutes ago, billybigballs said:

Bloody hell, Caribou's a busy lad. Six gigs in six countries in six days 😲

Just look at his tour next month. From Florida to EU and then 7 gigs in 6 countries in 7 days

Mar 4 Okeechobee, FL Okeechobee Festival

Mar 7 Berlin, DE Columbiahalle

Mar 8 Prague, CZ Forum Karlin

Mar 9 Vienna, AT Gasometer

Mar 10 Munich, DE Tonhalle

Mar 11 Ljubljana, SL Kino Siska

Mar 12 Zagreb, HR Lauba

Mar 13 Zurich, CH Kaufleuten

7 minutes ago, thetime said:

it was rammed for ed. We were between the a38 and mainstage by the merch stand, and it was all closed off it was that rammed and people had to go around an alternative route to get there. Security were getting quite a bit of hassle.

Once he came on though, lots of fresh air around the a38 and bars. 😀

We stood a quarter of the way back and lasted two songs before making our way out. The kids couldn't see a thing and it was very, very busy.

We went and sat at the back near the big wheel. Bars were empty (unlike the rest of the day) and we had a few beers while completely ignoring one of the biggest acts on the planet playing a couple of hundred yards away.

That was our first experience of Sziget. When we arrived the following day we couldn't believe how quiet it was in comparison to the day before!