Crystal Palace Bowl - South Facing Festival

mahoneypepe

43 minutes ago, DarthSaul said:

But not disagreeing that perhaps people think it is too much of a trek. People still go to ally pally though. 

My experience is that many London types get confused and bewildered when faced with any destination that isn't on the Tube Map.

Yes, Ally Pally is a pain in the arse by tube but at least it's possible to approximate where it is and a stretch people can and do walk it. Whereas "Crystal Palace" is some fictional place way beyond the realms of imagination.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

On the naff live part I think that applies to The Jesus and Mary Chain as well; saw them at Primavera last year and they were dire. Just Like Honey in particular was a low light of the whole festival which is a pity as I adore that song.

Haha, good point well made! 

1 hour ago, Dales said:

I think its the venue and not the actsthat put people off. I live in East London and no one I know wants to go to Crystal Palace Park to see anyone. Every year they give away tonnes of tickets to these concerts. If James & Primal Scream were playing some where else that was  easier and nicer to get to, I would be happy to pay full price for them. As its at Crystal Palace, I am not going even with potential free NHS tickets.

Every year, I look at the logstics of getting there with no parking, cheapish near hotels etc and am put off. 

Theyhave lots of good stuff on every year but you will struggle to find that many people wanting to go due to the venue and not the acts.

I know lots of people who regularly go to Community and none of them  went this year. They were not put off by the smaller line-up but by the choice of park.

It wasn't a signup - it was basically the same as last year 😂 thats what put us off

it sold well anyway that

10 hours ago, gregory said:

Early entry before 5PM time, after this time you will be charged the general admission ticket fee difference.

Not sure how they'll know based on how the ticket looks on Google Wallet. It's worth risking going later and they'll just lose punters if they actually do demand the full fee!

Oh and nice one @Colmm! Not sure how you found that but well done

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

Can someone who’s going to Primal Scream tomorrow report back on the state of the ground please? We’re there on Saturday for Rudimental and are wondering if we really need to pack wellies for a London gig!

Ground is hard and dry. Depending on volume of rain overnight and tomorrow that could obviously change but I can't see it being welly conditions.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, collectivisedfarming said:

Ground is hard and dry. Depending on volume of rain overnight and tomorrow that could obviously change but I can't see it being welly conditions.  

Thanks for the info! It looks like it’s going to rain a fair bit tomorrow. Is it all open to the elements and grass underfoot?

Might have to hideout in a pub for a bit and arrive a bit later in the day.

5 minutes ago, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

Thanks for the info! It looks like it’s going to rain a fair bit tomorrow. Is it all open to the elements and grass underfoot?

Might have to hideout in a pub for a bit and arrive a bit later in the day.

Yes there's no shelter and it's all grass. If you're not familiar with the area, the gypsy hill brewery taproom isn't far away and lots of good pubs and bars in crystal palace.

On 8/8/2023 at 8:36 AM, shoebox said:

I've managed to pick up cheapo tickets for James and Happy Mondays this Friday. Anything I should know about arrival times? What sort of set times did JAMC/Primal Scream have last week?

Where did you get cheap tickets from? Been looking out for some but haven't found.

FB_IMG_1691577806501.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 1:20 PM, Dales said:

I think its the venue and not the actsthat put people off. I live in East London and no one I know wants to go to Crystal Palace Park to see anyone. Every year they give away tonnes of tickets to these concerts. If James & Primal Scream were playing some where else that was  easier and nicer to get to, I would be happy to pay full price for them. As its at Crystal Palace, I am not going even with potential free NHS tickets.

Every year, I look at the logstics of getting there with no parking, cheapish near hotels etc and am put off. 

Theyhave lots of good stuff on every year but you will struggle to find that many people wanting to go due to the venue and not the acts.

I know lots of people who regularly go to Community and none of them  went this year. They were not put off by the smaller line-up but by the choice of park.

You can take the Overground from Canada Water etc to Penge West and walk from there, it's really not that hard to get to.

• Upvote 2

yeah, Central tix website did then open up a wait list for any rtns. Deffo worth adding your name on if future event has one coz a mate got one tkt from the Central wait list pretty late on & there were also a fair few on twickets last night albeit not a s cheapy as the tenner offer was sadly

On 8/4/2023 at 9:24 AM, Tony Zografos please said:

Not sure how they'll know based on how the ticket looks on Google Wallet. It's worth risking going later and they'll just lose punters if they actually do demand the full fee!

Oh and nice one @Colmm! Not sure how you found that but well done

Very few people after trekking to Crystal Palace would turn around and not pay it i think

It will scan differently btw or someone will flag up - i wouldn't risk it

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Very few people after trekking to Crystal Palace would turn around and not pay it i think

It will scan differently btw or someone will flag up - i wouldn't risk it

it was fine at primal scream. we got there during jesus and mary chain and we got complimentary tickets courtesy of that link. it's only a bus for me so was worth the risk anyway

i even saw primal scream get off their bus and got a wave back from the bobster... which was nice

Never been before. Girlband were great, Mondays were fun, James were sublime. 

Great sound wherever I wandered. Friendly crowd, hardly any queues for the bored bar staff, lovely food. It's not a festival though is it, it's an outdoors gig.

And I fell over a speedbump.

10/10