news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I have thought this throughout! Makes the 14-hour queue to see a box even more insane. I could maybe, maybe understand queueing to see her actual body but this is entirely different and is really testing my general 'each to their own' stance...

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

for these people it's like a pilgrimage that many people make..whether it's to Mecca or Israel or Kumbh Mela or...Glastonbury Tor...for them it means a lot, for everyone else it looks ridiculous.

Bollocks is it. Most people who make a pilgrimage to Mecca will also pray to it 5 times a day, every day. 
I bet 90% of those in The Queue ™️ don’t even watch the Christmas Day speech. 

...and anyway, does it matter if they watch the queen's speech? I don't know...I think all the spite towards those people who want to queue and show their respects,  or even actual members of royal family is just misguided, it is the system that is fucked up, and the system that needs changing. If you want to abolish the monarchy don't go and shout fuck off to some old lady who's sad about the queen or waving the flag at Charles..gets you nowhere...organise a march, demonstrate, join Republic etc

I don’t hate the queen or people who want to see her coffin. I just find it generally laughable and bizarre. 
I do, however, feel angry at the way such fanfare is being made when it just seems so unnecessary and outdated in our society of massive iniquity. 

15 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Ooh look how edgy I am, I hate the queen. 

43 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

...and anyway, does it matter if they watch the queen's speech? I don't know...I think all the spite towards those people who want to queue and show their respects,  or even actual members of royal family is just misguided, it is the system that is fucked up, and the system that needs changing. If you want to abolish the monarchy don't go and shout fuck off to some old lady who's sad about the queen or waving the flag at Charles..gets you nowhere...organise a march, demonstrate, join Republic etc

Just now, steviewevie said:

ok, fair dos...with you on that actually.

Right, back to the livestream.

I was a genuinely pissing myself laughing when they shut the queue, only to put people who wanted to Join the queue into a queue. It blows my mind. 

I just can’t wrap my head around this orgy of grief for a woman who lived 96 exceedingly privileged years and had absolutely minimal effect on people’s lives, other than the fact you always knew she existed. 

I think people just like to make a fuss of things. Take my mother in law for example (no really, take her), she’s only really happy when some disaster has befallen someone else and she can find a way of making it about herself. 

7 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I do, however, feel angry at the way such fanfare is being made when it just seems so unnecessary and outdated in our society of massive iniquity. 

...and actually they just seem so alien to modern britain...maybe they resonated more with a post war britain in 1952, but not anymore, especially with anyone under 30. I have no idea what future lies with the monarchy, no way it will just get abolished outright, but it may become more diminished and over time so insignificant that it just dies and goes away....it's already becoming just another bunch of celebs, the kardashian show, and I think Charles probably knows this and has already talked of slimming it down so it becomes more like other european monarchies...and then one day someone will suggest maybe we could stop with the hereditary thing and actually have a vote on who is head of state.

6 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I just can’t wrap my head around this orgy of grief for a woman who lived 96 exceedingly privileged years and had absolutely minimal effect on people’s lives, other than the fact you always knew she existed. 

ok, maybe privileged, but she didn't really have a choice. Would you like to be a royal? In the public eye all the time, doing all this stuff, watching what I say, meeting all these arseholes. Not sure I would.

Edited by steviewevie