news & politics:discussion

zahidf

somnone should buy putin q white cat...?

and the who ukrain in nato thing is a scam, they wouldn't be admitted openly, cos other nato members are on the hook to sort for the pre-existing conflict with russia ( a reason why ukrain wouldn't be accepted as a nato member. next come the three baltic states and then a major war where we have pledged to fight for them.

Edited by Neil

56 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Pretty fucked up waking up to today's news. Seems to have escalated quicker than anyone expected?

yeah, bad news. But, this is what US in particular have been warning about the last few weeks...but no one knew what Putin would actually do, there were a number of scenarios and even some optimism that diplomacy would work...but it's happening. How terrifying for the people of Ukraine.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:
56 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This scared the living shit out of me as a kid.

yeah, nuclear war used to be the thing that kept me up as a kid, which is why my brother kindly brought me that book.

Yep, the fear of Mutually Assured Destruction was omnipresent in my childhood too. I guess that's why there seemed to be a lot of optimism and hope after the fall of Berlin Wall, Glasnost, then the Clinton and Blair terms, for a moment it did feel the world was evolving away from stupidity.

I guess we never quite evolved away from greed and nationalism though.

I don't buy the 'Mad Vlad' bullshit for a second. A quick search reveals Ukraine is awash with plentiful amounts of rare earth materials. Is this Putin making a simple calculation that short term pain (sanctions, international opprobrium) will lead to long term security and wealth for him and his cronies?