news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Suprised labour have gone with the supply side economics thing even with the word modern glued on the start. I would of thought it would of been too synonymous with 1980's Reganomics for their supporters

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

also...Ozanne....who do you think is better for Labour...and who is worse?

I’m really not sure either Sunak or Mordaunt are worse for Labour.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

surely that is risky for sunak...could backfire with members and then we'll end up with Truss.

It is risky but he has loads of votes so can afford to lend some. I would think his team will try their best to ensure Mordaunt doesn’t get to the final. 

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, I don't know if he's shit or not. I just thought MP behaviour might be getting worse...the boris influence!...but maybe it is the speaker that is at fault. I didn't see it live today, but did see a clip, and he seems to lose it totally..not helped as he seemed to be struggling to shout, he was kind of squeaking.

I didn't notice at the time as it was so chaotic but his voice was a bit wobbly.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m really not sure either Sunak or Mordaunt are worse for Labour.

It is risky but he has loads of votes so can afford to lend some. I would think his team will try their best to ensure Mordaunt doesn’t get to the final. 

It’s like a really lame version of The Game of Thrones. 

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Panorama about downfall of Bojo on beeb1 now.

Feels like it's a bit soon for that given he's literally still Prime Minister and we'll find out some even more TV-friendly details about the behind-the-scenes clusterfuck later down the line.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

It’s like a really lame version of The Game of Thrones. 

Twas ever thus. I remember a comedy show during the post-Brexit fight after David Cameron resigned calling it the "Game of Tories", which was perhaps fitting given this was in the week when Gove stabbed Boris in the back for his own failed leadership bid.

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Twas ever thus. I remember a comedy show during the post-Brexit fight after David Cameron resigned calling it the "Game of Tories", which was perhaps fitting given this was in the week when Gove stabbed Boris in the back for his own failed leadership bid.

i missed the post- brexit-vote meltdown, as i was at glastonbury.

I've been thoroughly unimpressed with the leadership election so far, have found it very hard to get excited by. I can see now why there was no coherent plan behind the scenes to oust Johnson despite the huge open goal he was presenting; what a dearth of competence/talent. So glad that Zahawi went out early with his ridiculously childish claim to want to take 20% out of *every* dept budget. Pathological level of idiocy.

Anyway, this comment chimed with my current mood about the state of the leadership sideshow:

9 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Fascinating interview with Corbyn, it's an hour long but well worth the effort, should open a few eyes regarding the state of our "democracy".

he wasn't rejected for being shit, there was a conspiracy to stop him?????

14 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Bercow was awful.  As much as I loved the whole fuck off to Brexit thing he made up the rules to suit himself.   He was the worse leader.

I think his conduct wasn't always great, but he did allow backbenchers to hold the government to account more than predecessors, something carried on by his successor.