news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

He never wanted UC to be cut in the first place and has been talking about their previous cost of living policies, so he’s doing what you ask.

I dunno why they are drip feeding it but I would assume it’s for maximum coverage ahead of a bigger announcement at the beginning of the week (there won’t be much of a focus on a Friday).

It’s also worth pointing out that they aren’t in government so if you want action focus your ire on the Tories. 

Don’t worry my ire is directed at the tories but given the audience in this thread, I’m sure we’re all on the same page regarding the disdain to which we view the current government 

• Upvote 1

He's spending the money he says he will save on government debt interest payments due to inflation being lower by spending this money. Problem is its still inflationary and inflation is only one of the factors that go into how much the markets charge us for our debt. Clever move though, we'll probably never find out if he was right or wrong as he's not going to be in power this winter.

Edited by lost

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

If it saves people money in their energy bills this winter then it’s a good move. I suppose the people that will criticise were the ones moaning Labour didn’t have a plan and will just moan whatever they say. 

it sounds like a plan that'll work, but also raises lots of side issues for how far into other areas of business  the same principles should operate.