news & politics:discussion

zahidf

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

We'll see...

We shall see Sir.

Brown has been working with Starmer’s Labour so I’d think this is part of a concerted effort to drop feed Labours policy.

It sounds like the package will be a fairly large intervention which will be good. 

7 hours ago, Ozanne said:

We shall see Sir.

Brown has been working with Starmer’s Labour so I’d think this is part of a concerted effort to drop feed Labours policy.

It sounds like the package will be a fairly large intervention which will be good. 

or it's Brown going rogue because he's sick of Starmer not doing anything.

10 hours ago, lost said:

. Good chance we will be in deflation in 2 years time

no, businesses have been holding off price increases for ten years, now they've increased prices they're not going to drop them again.

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

no, businesses have been holding off price increases for ten years, now they've increased prices they're not going to drop them again.

they will if no one is buying.

Anyway, isn't the likeliest outcome that inflation will start to come down as recessions hit and unemployment rises...?

17 minutes ago, Neil said:

Its a year on year calculation so say energy prices are £4266 during Jan 2023 are predicted. They only need to be say £4000 during Jan 2024 for it to be deflationary. I actually think central banks will reverse course if its starting to look like deflation but like covid 12 months ago we will be talking about something else when the next election is scheduled to happen.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they will if no one is buying.

Anyway, isn't the likeliest outcome that inflation will start to come down as recessions hit and unemployment rises...?

businesses have ignored cost pressures for the last ten years, they can do it again, and will..

1 minute ago, lost said:

I actually think central banks will reverse course if its starting to look like deflation

i think you're right about that, only impacts on businesses with big loans, tho.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

But Ozanne just assured us they were co-ordinated??

Pretty embarrassing from Labour tbh, so many open goals missed.

29 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Keir Starmer to announce Labours cost of living plan tomorrow!

Never has an exclamation mark done so much heavy lifting 

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's all very interesting what Brown or Starmer says, but in the grand scheme of things it means diddly squat because they're not in power.

That’s the problem when people moan on about Labour not doing anything. Generally those people argue in bad faith and wouldn’t be happy with anything Labour offer. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That’s the problem when people moan on about Labour not doing anything. Generally those people argue in bad faith and wouldn’t be happy with anything Labour offer. 

I mean, I understand that Starmer has to say something, say what he'd do, has to make people notice him and feel confident he could do a better job, but he can kind of say any old shit because he's not PM. This is probably a relatively short term crisis, it's his plans for the mid and long term I want to hear about, and hopefully we will find out more at conference, if we can hear him and Reeves above all the protests.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean, I understand that Starmer has to say something, say what he'd do, has to make people notice him and feel confident he could do a better job, but he can kind of say any old shit because he's not PM. This is probably a relatively short term crisis, it's his plans for the mid and long term I want to hear about, and hopefully we will find out more at conference, if we can hear him and Reeves above all the protests.

I’m sure we will hear more. He’s given 2 press conferences this summer already outlining his plans. Did you catch those?

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's all very interesting what Brown or Starmer says, but in the grand scheme of things it means diddly squat because they're not in power.

not true, labour forced spaffer into a u-turn with a windfall tax.