news & politics:discussion

zahidf

26 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If Met hadn't intervened and full report had been released the first time, I wonder if that would have been it for Johnson. We'll never know for sure, but I suspect the delay saved him.

I believe so, yes. It was a successful strategy that saved the man and screwed the party.

I wonder if the Johnson and Sunak photo in the report was what prevented Sunak from mounting a full blooded coup earlier this year? Or maybe he just never had enough support internally amongst the tory mps?

10 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Had to laugh at his fear of "being associated with a grubby govt" - the implication being that he doesn't think the govt's seen as "grubby" quite yet, bless!

In theory there are enough MPs to topple Johnson’s government. They could vote with the opposition in a vote of no confidence in the government.

Say there are 50 letters in them that’s enough to force a VONC in the Commons to pass. It’s the nuclear option but at least they could say they stood up for what’s right. 

The thing that annoyed me most today about his utter bullshit was the implication that No.10 staff were working so hard - harder than NHS staff, public sector workers, delivery drivers, etc - that they deserved to let their hair down. If they were working that hard, how come they weren't so knackered they needed to go to bed, instead of pissing it up until 3 in the morning?

• Upvote 1

So it was his duty to go to leaving drinks? What about everything else he banned us from doing that is without any doubt much more important than leaving drinks?

Yes I know, the answer is that he’s a liar and a scumbag that will say anything to keep hold of power. 

23 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

The thing that annoyed me most today about his utter bullshit was the implication that No.10 staff were working so hard - harder than NHS staff, public sector workers, delivery drivers, etc - that they deserved to let their hair down.

Yep, harder than the cleaners having to clean all the vomit up and get red wine stains out of the carpet from parties that they knew they couldn't have at their own homes to see their own family and friends.

I think that's been one of the most persistent cut-through elements of all of this (despite political allegiance) and why the tories are in cuckooland if they think it'll be forgotten if Johnson leads them into the next election.

7 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Yep, harder than the cleaners having to clean all the vomit up and get red wine stains out of the carpet from parties that they knew they couldn't have at their own homes to see their own family and friends.

I think that's been one of the most persistent cut-through elements of all of this (despite political allegiance) and why the tories are in cuckooland if they think it'll be forgotten if Johnson leads them into the next election.

So...for opposition parties better that Johnson stays put...?

4 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Of course.

But, given the cost of living crisis, can the country handle being run by him for much longer (and his useless cabinet)?

Tricky, eh?

Yeah, well I don't know...not sure how ideological he actually is, but he seems more keynesian than other potential tory leaders...and maybe more pragmatic as we can see with all the u-turns. The thing with Johnson though is the chaos, and what seems to be rash policy choices just brought out to keep him in power for another week.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

The thing with Johnson though is the chaos, and what seems to be rash policy choices just brought out to keep him in power for another week.

This x1000.

I'm hoping that his chaotic and narcissistic tenure will last long enough in the memory to put a rocket up mps arses such that the next govt realise there is simply no choice but to overhaul the constitution and all those things that have been polite historical precedents to prevent any Johnson 2.0 from doing it again (or worse).

1 hour ago, Kurosagi said:

The likes of Johnson and top civil servants think the school they went to and the circles they hang around in make them better than the cleaners. It's a complete lack of disrespect.

If you want to get angry before going to bed, read The Scum and Heil’s Boris love-in stories… Unfortunately, it’s probably a reflection of much of the general population’s thinking now. We are stuck with him in charge until the next election (at least).