news & politics:discussion

zahidf

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean, they had to do something...otherwise they really would have a major crisis on their hands later this year.

We haven't even taken out the highs from the mid-2000's commodity prices yet. Either in nominal or real terms. Oil hit $147 a barrel and food prices were effectively the cause of the Arab spring. 

Same thing happened but Gordon stood firm against the windfall tax

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2008/aug/24/energy.economy

Gordon Brown is coming under fierce pressure to impose a windfall tax on energy companies to help Britons meet the cost of soaring fuel bills. A poll published today shows that two-thirds of voters support the levy and the embattled Prime Minister may face a vote on the plan at next month's Labour Party conference.

A senior government source said they were 'yet to be persuaded' about a windfall tax. There are fears that a tax on profits could damage economic competitiveness at a fragile time, with a recession looming, while costs might be passed on to consumers.

Edited by lost

24 minutes ago, lost said:

We haven't even taken out the highs from the mid-2000's commodity prices yet. Either in nominal or real terms. Oil hit $147 a barrel and food prices were effectively the cause of the Arab spring. 

Same thing happened but Gordon stood firm against the windfall tax

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2008/aug/24/energy.economy

Yeah well any windfall tax isn't paying for all of these benefits anyway? Going to be from borrowing. Plus energy firms only pay if not investing profits in UK or something?

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah well any windfall tax isn't paying for all of these benefits anyway? Going to be from borrowing. Plus energy firms only pay if not investing profits in UK or something?

Yes Oil companies seem to be up on the news and only utilities down so I'm guessing most will come from borrowing as it can be avoided by investment. I was just addressing the point that they had to do something though as prices were higher around 2008, Labour did fuck all regarding a windfall tax and as far as I'm aware nobody in this country froze to death/starved. 

Thats not to say we may not eventually surpass the previous peak.

Edited by lost

17 minutes ago, lost said:

Yes Oil companies seem to be up on the news and only utilities down so I'm guessing most will come from borrowing. I was just addressing the point that they had to do something though as prices were higher around 2008, Labour did fuck all and as far as I'm aware nobody in this country froze to death/starved. 

Just read that guardian article you posted... interesting. I don't actually remember any of that..but looks like they didn't want to damage competitiveness with a windfall tax, and with a recession on way which is kind of where we are now..so labour then were more Tory that Tories now...

But inflation lower then, and there was a global financial crisis, and now problem more acute with prices set to soar this winter...and plus we've come out the arse end of austerity and the pandemic and people want more spending and don't like idea of companies making such massive profits.

Plus Johnson needed a distraction from partygate.

Edited by steviewevie

I just thought it was interesting that Rishi is to the left of Gordon on this. Maybe covid has shifted the overton window and the role we now expect the government to have in our lives?

I think it shows this government have no plan or ideology. They say at one moment no windfall tax and no more borrowing then months later U-turn on that and throw money at the problem.

If Corbyn did this then he would have been torn apart.

6 minutes ago, lost said:

I just thought it was interesting that Rishi is to the left of Gordon on this. Maybe covid has shifted the overton window and the role we now expect the government to have in our lives?

I wonder how much this is a Johnson decision and how much a Sunak decision. I mean it is a way of raising some money, and feels like right thing to do at a time when they're starting to look like the nasty party again, plus they really don't want a mass fuel/food poverty crisis this winter when they have to start thinking about an election in the next 2 years.

Also maybe dishi has realised he's only popular when doling out the dosh. 

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Just read that guardian article you posted... interesting. I don't actually remember any of that.

Just going back to this. Something else that seems to happen is there appears to be certain stereotypes regarding both parties that result in them receiving greater scrutiny from the press on things. With the Tories its stuff like the NHS and people living close to the poverty line and with Labour its things like government borrowing and immigration. So as you say this happened under labour and received very little attention whilst everyone is going mad about it under the Tories, at the same time government borrowing is receiving very little attention under the Tories but if it was happening under labour everyone would be warning about it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lost said:

Just going back to this. Something else that seems to happen is there appears to be certain stereotypes regarding both parties that result in them receiving greater scrutiny from the press on things. With the Tories its stuff like the NHS and people living close to the poverty line and with Labour its things like government borrowing and immigration. So as you say this happened under labour and received very little attention whilst everyone is going mad about it under the Tories, at the same time government borrowing is receiving very little attention under the Tories but if it was happening under labour everyone would be warning about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/26/the-history-of-windfall-taxes-who-used-them-and-why

1 hour ago, lost said:

also maybe reflects the new tory voter coalition...red wall and all that.

4 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

He’s not against the policy. He’s against the government only bringing it in to distract the country from their latest shitshow. 

Honestly, it’s best not to respond. He only hangs around to troll Ozanne.