news & politics:discussion

zahidf

10 hours ago, steviewevie said:

e need a fullly specified programme for reform, else changes will just be used to stitch s up much like with fptp.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

e need a fullly specified programme for reform, else changes will just be used to stitch s up much like with fptp.

Burnham is actually saying a lot of good stuff, radical changes. I guess that is part of the luxury of being outside the plp, he can be braver, and maybe what he's learnt along the way whilst Gtr Manc mayor. He also is popular, which is a rare thing these days, and seems to be the one potential labour leader who could actually unite the different sides of the labour party. Famous last words.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Burnham is actually saying a lot of good stuff, radical changes

i wanna see the full proposal for the changes, otherwise there'll be another stitch-up like there was with the AV referendum.

Just now, Neil said:

i wanna see the full proposal for the changes, otherwise there'll be another stitch-up like there was with the AV referendum.

i'm worried that HoL changes will be used to stop PR for the commons.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Oof

stuff like this means nothing until Rishi or spelling mistake are taking pot-shots, as they're the ones who will stand against spaffer.

That feels like a sea change. Can't imagine that she'd break cover unless she was confident of being supported in a challenge or was part of a group behind someone serious to challenge him. Starting to feel inevitable there will be a VONC, all about whether they've organised themselves enough behind the scenes to vote him out.

13 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

That feels like a sea change. Can't imagine that she'd break cover unless she was confident of being supported in a challenge or was part of a group behind someone serious to challenge him. Starting to feel inevitable there will be a VONC, all about whether they've organised themselves enough behind the scenes to vote him out.

Or first thing Johnson does on Monday is dissolve Parliament and call a general election. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Or first thing Johnson does on Monday is dissolve Parliament and call a general election. 

Either way it's time to get the popcorn in. If he pushes the GE button then it'll be like watching the first round of BGT where people with zero talent try to bluster it out on stage and are surprised that people don't love them as much as they love themselves.

Crerar sums up the Leadsom situation better than I can:

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Burnham is actually saying a lot of good stuff, radical changes. I guess that is part of the luxury of being outside the plp, he can be braver, and maybe what he's learnt along the way whilst Gtr Manc mayor. He also is popular, which is a rare thing these days, and seems to be the one potential labour leader who could actually unite the different sides of the labour party. Famous last words.

I think he has to be braver to stand a chance as the call not to appoint a white man will be overwhelming. To stand a chance he probably needs to get the pragmatic Corbynite support.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

About the 100th time You’ve said this and I genuinely can’t understand how you don’t realise how dumb it is. They’re behind in the polls and currently have a big majority and recent polls have shown him losing his own seat. And based off this you’ve decided he’s going to call a general election 🤣🤣

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

🙂

For all Owen Jones moans about RLB I have not heard him make any intellectual argument why labour would be in a better position if RLB had won the leadership contest.

In my view if this had happened labour would be arguing about Jez, arguing about Middle East politics. Burgon and Sultana would be in the shadow cabinet and labour would be behind in the polls.