Football 2020/2021

zahidf

5 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

Mount has been the best player in this Chelsea team and has been all season, but the convos about him/Grealish/Foden are mainly stupid is because he's a completely different player to those two. Since Chelsea have settled into this three man midfield he's been a b2b workhorse midfielder whose role isn't necessarily to create/score (though despite this his progressive passing and willingness to get forward also essential to the team). He is played more like one of Liverpool's midfielders and he's great at it? There's no way I'd pick Mount ahead of Grealish or Foden as a winger/10... But as a CM? I'm picking Mason.

England are lucky to have all 3.

He’s about where he should be. Starting XI for a mid table to UEFA Cup level top flight side. 

At a top 4 English top flight side he’s mainly a squad player. 

If he’s good enough to start for England it’s another sign England are a long way from challenging the best international teams. 

The Grealish / Maddison comparison is pointless because they don't play the same way. Last time I checked you don't see Grealish / Maddison on the left of a three man midfield. Mount can play in their positions but the comment about him being more of an LFC midfielder is true but he offers more goal threat. I could sit here and say that both of those players are older / more experienced than Mount and he is putting up the same sort of numbers that they did at his age but what's the point? They aren't similar players. If you listen to that debate and then tune in to watch Chelsea lose for the fifth time in eight games, you probably are going to wonder why people rate Mount over the other two.

He's usually one of our best players every single time he's on the pitch. He presses the opposition, works harder than anyone off the ball, links up play, gets into goal scoring positions, takes decent corners, can score from free kicks and always puts in 100% for the team. Unfortunately right now it isn't saying much because barely anybody in the team is performing to a decent standard. Nobody else thinks he's any good or wants him in their team? That's fine, we watch him every week and don't want him out of ours.

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

This blows my mind. I was listening to a podcast the other day and they were discussing which one you would take to the Euros for England (if you could only take one) between Jack Grealish, Phil Foden and Mason Mount. Someone picked Mason Mount which absolutely blew my mind. What am I not seeing?

Am I allowed to nominate Harvey Barnes?

The kid looks special.

Just as long as Foden is first on the plane, the rest can fight amongst themselves for a spot.

Mount will be going, he has not let Southgate down. 

As for Havertz, Werner and Zieych (sp?), I think all 3 of them will come good. Werner will be inconsistent but always be a threat. The other 2 have too much quality not to come good.

16 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Good player and moved up a notch this season. Whos place is he going to take? If you are going to take Barnes then for me Sancho has to miss out.

Not seen enough of Sancho this season to have a view on how he’s currently playing.

I’d take Barnes over Maddison and Mount - although I agree that Southgate won’t drop Mount. He sticks with players he trusts.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not seen enough of Sancho this season to have a view on how he’s currently playing.

I’d take Barnes over Maddison and Mount - although I agree that Southgate won’t drop Mount. He sticks with players he trusts.

Barnes plays in a wider role though. Hes up against Foden, Sterling, Sancho and Grealish really. Now Grealish and Foden can play central, but as mentioned, hes not going to drop mount.

1 hour ago, rock the clock said:

He played the most out of anyone in the Chelsea team that finished 4th (same points as 3rd) last season. 

He also only turned 22 last week. 

33 points away from the league winners. They finished closer to two of the three relegated clubs. 

Anyone can manipulate meaningless statistics to suit their argument. 

6 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

33 points away from the league winners. They finished closer to two of the three relegated clubs. 

Anyone can manipulate meaningless statistics to suit their argument. 

Sure. I wasn't the one who brought league positions into the discussion. 

It makes the whole discussion of comparing players who excel in different positions and systems even more pointless. 

8 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Barnes plays in a wider role though. Hes up against Foden, Sterling, Sancho and Grealish really. Now Grealish and Foden can play central, but as mentioned, hes not going to drop mount.

If I was picking a squad right now:

GK - Pickford, Pope, Henderson

DEF - Maguire, Mings, Chilwell, Alexander-Arnold, Trippier, Dier, Stones, Saka

MID - Henderson, Grealish, Foden, Barnes, Rice, Ward-Prowse, Winks, 

ATT - Kane, Rashford, Sterling, Calvert-Lewin, Sancho

The defence is probably why we won’t win anything.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

No Kyle Walker?

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Pickford alone would stop it, certainly if you go on this season's form.