Football 2020/2021

zahidf

8 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Supporters of any of these 12 clubs - any of you gonna put your money where your mouth is and drop them? 

I’ve always loved Arsenal, I’ve also always loved Reading as my home town club. Safe to say if it goes ahead then Arsenal will no longer have a place in my heart. 
Looking from a Ding perspective it may be easier to reach the PL, if the 6 are expelled, but it would feel less significant without them there if that makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Klopp has spoken against this in the past. It will be every interesting now to see if any managers of these clubs have the balls to say it as it is. Tuchel first up with a presser today.

It will make tonights game interesting. Leeds have got 2 games against non league clubs this week. Neither should be going ahead now. 

7 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

they can just threaten to quit.

7 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

They’ll probably look to leave Colt teams in England. 

They aren't threatening to quit so it's more than just Colt teams they are leaving behind, the purposed Super League has midweek only fixtures, it's a money spinning replacement for the Champion's League not a replacement for the Premier League. Big clubs hate not qualifying for the Champion's League and they hate having to play minnows, this "fixes" those problems.

It's still a pretty shit idea but the hope is to have enough clout to convince the league's to let them have their own other competition and fuck UEFA.

6 minutes ago, mcshed said:

They aren't threatening to quit so it's more than just Colt teams they are leaving behind, the purposed Super League has midweek only fixtures, it's a money spinning replacement for the Champion's League not a replacement for the Premier League. Big clubs hate not qualifying for the Champion's League and they hate having to play minnows, this "fixes" those problems.

It's still a pretty shit idea but the hope is to have enough clout to convince the league's to let them have their own other competition and fuck UEFA.

It will have a direct impact on the domestic game, clubs potentially could play 25 mid week games. 

International breaks, league Cup, premier league midweek games. It doesn't fit.

These proposals are far more exciting than what the Champions League are proposing. I have absolutely no problem with the clubs cutting UEFA out the pie.

My issue is that there will be no relegation or promotion for the 15 clubs. 

The champions league group stages are dull and pointless. I would much rather play 9 matches against the top teams in Europe, than playing Shaktar every year.

Let the 6 teams go into this super league. But,if they also want to play in the Premier League, tax half their profit from the super league and distribute it through the pyramid.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, thetime said:

It will have a direct impact on the domestic game, clubs potentially could play 25 mid week games. 

International breaks, league Cup, premier league midweek games. It doesn't fit.

Oh it certainly would, it would speed up the death of the League Cup and FA Cup and these clubs would certainly rest players against the smaller teams in the Premier League but the Champion's League is already 13 games not including qualifying and is set to expand.

Once again I'm not in favour of this but I don't think it's quite the end of the world as some people are making out.

I think the FA/PL will bottle it too, even if it doesn’t go ahead, there needs to be serious repercussions for these teams, whether that’s transfer bans, points deductions, even forced relegations. I doubt any will happen, they’ll take pulling out of the whole idea as enough and leave it at that

7 minutes ago, eastynh said:

These proposals are far more exciting than what the Champions League are proposing. I have absolutely no problem with the clubs cutting UEFA out the pie.

My issue is that there will be no relegation or promotion for the 15 clubs. 

The champions league group stages are dull and pointless. I would much rather play 9 matches against the top teams in Europe, than playing Shaktar every year.

Let the 6 teams go into this super league. But,if they also want to play in the Premier League, tax half their profit from the super league and distribute it through the pyramid.

There should be no place for any of these teams in the domestic leagues. Take your oil money and fuck off. 

Edited by squirrelarmy
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Oh it certainly would, it would speed up the death of the League Cup and FA Cup and these clubs would certainly rest players against the smaller teams in the Premier League but the Champion's League is already 13 games not including qualifying and is set to expand.

Once again I'm not in favour of this but I don't think it's quite the end of the world as some people are making out.

I got the impression that if the teams join the ESL, then they will be booted from their domestic leagues and competitions

6 minutes ago, eastynh said:

These proposals are far more exciting than what the Champions League are proposing.

You'll potentially play Liverpool twice in the domestic league, twice in the euro league, again in the play off, maybe in a cup.. Won't that get boring as hell?

The thing about the "smaller clubs" is they potentially put together a decent team such as the Monaco side that put City out of the Euro's a few years ago.

5 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I got the impression that if the teams join the ESL, then they will be booted from their domestic leagues and competitions

That's the threat, but clearly by proposing midweek games they are hoping to bully their domestic leagues into allowing them to stay. Then it becomes a fight between the ESL and UEFA and they reckon they can get fans onside with that.

8 minutes ago, lost said:

You'll potentially play Liverpool twice in the domestic league, twice in the euro league, again in the play off, maybe in a cup.. Won't that get boring as hell?

The thing about the "smaller clubs" is they potentially put together a decent team such as the Monaco side that put City out of the Euro's a few years ago.

That Monaco team was a great side.

Just now, mcshed said:

That's the threat, but clearly by proposing midweek games they are hoping to bully their domestic leagues into allowing them to stay. Then it becomes a fight between the ESL and UEFA and they reckon they can get fans onside with that.

They're not kicking the top 6 out of the Premier league.

Imagine the next TV deal if the 6 best teams were not part of it?

12 minutes ago, lost said:

That's why the munificent ESL will allow some extra teams to compete each season whilst not allowing them a fair cut of the money.

This season would effectively have been over last month, if not earlier.

I know Utd can still catch City but it's not going to happen.

The other 5 Super League teams have nothing left to aim for. There place is guaranteed.

All you'd have is the relegation fight and a few other teams going for whatever is left behind in Europe. 

The new league would be fine if it was qualification only. Every year, just replaced the Champions League, as it is it's shit.

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I hope that barb is not directed at me and you're not insinuating I should fuck off.

Aimed at all plastic fans of a plastic club. 

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

They're not kicking the top 6 out of the Premier league.

Imagine the next TV deal if the 6 best teams were not part of it?

Who do you actually think is going to be playing for your team if this goes ahead? 

No young player with aspirations of representing their national team in the world cup etc will be a part of it as FIFA will be banning players in the ESL from taking part. 

It’s going to be a bunch of ageing footballers who have retired from their national side half heartedly kicking a ball around for a million dollars a game in a competition that has no meaning as there are no consequences if you play crap. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Who do you actually think is going to be playing for your team if this goes ahead? 

No young player with aspirations of representing their national team in the world cup etc will be a part of it as FIFA will be banning players in the ESL from taking part. 

I hope they do but would be difficult to make that stick legally.

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

It’s going to be a bunch of ageing footballers who have retired from their national side half heartedly kicking a ball around for a million dollars a game in a competition that has no meaning as there are no consequences if you play crap. 

You are going to have to define plastic fans and plastic club to me.