Football 2020/2021

zahidf

38 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

not entirely sure i agree with that, tho he's clearly having a huge impact for Utd, carrying the rest of them.

Which is why I think a big Euro club will be in for him, and I can't really see him staying.

Man U don't often lose players they want to keep to top European clubs. Is there anyone other than Ronaldo?

7 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Can we stop referring to clubs as just Utd, United, Town, City etc?

I’m not sure who you’re talking about half of the time. 

United = Manchester United

City = Manchester City

Town = Manchester town centre

I hope that clears it up for you 😊

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I agree with Big Sam. With the vast majority of England in tier 4, it's time to stop football for a few weeks. If that messes up the schedule than tough.

Agreed. I think it would likely have to be a month though. Gary Neville made the point of you only suspended games for 2 weeks then the players would realistically only be “off” for 1 of those as they’d need to be in training about a week before it resumes. 

40 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Agreed. I think it would likely have to be a month though. Gary Neville made the point of you only suspended games for 2 weeks then the players would realistically only be “off” for 1 of those as they’d need to be in training about a week before it resumes. 

Have other sports been suspended? 

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Have other sports been suspended? 

I would stop all sports. I think however stopping football is the biggest statement at a time when a big statement is needed. I think stopping football reinforces the idea that we are all in it together, rather than the current situation where it looks like one rule for the rich and one for everyone else. I appreciate the majority of footballer are not wealthy, but the premiership players are the ones who will always have the focus.

15 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I would stop all sports. I think however stopping football is the biggest statement at a time when a big statement is needed. I think stopping football reinforces the idea that we are all in it together, rather than the current situation where it looks like one rule for the rich and one for everyone else. I appreciate the majority of footballer are not wealthy, but the premiership players are the ones who will always have the focus.

Its the only thing keeping me from killing the kids, so let it carry on. 😀

With more than half country in Tier 4 now I’m not sure stopping football would do much to stop the spread and surely the positives outweigh the negatives in this case? They’re tested every week anyway. It seems as if the players don’t want it and it also seems as if there’s no need for a stop like there was in March/April.

Watched MOTD and not quite sure how Liverpool didn’t nick the game in the final minutes. Couldn’t argue with a draw overall but always thought Liverpool would nick it.
At least no one has run away with it around Christmas this year. Liverpool the favourites, undoubtedly. Plenty of teams to press them this year. But again, Man United ahead of them on points since Bruno joined. Got lucky last night but swings and roundabouts with the Leicester game which we should’ve won with the Rashford chances. I think we’ll bottle it but as it stands (based off this year) we’ll be the closest challengers.

13 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I agree with Big Sam. With the vast majority of England in tier 4, it's time to stop football for a few weeks. If that messes up the schedule than tough.

because Big Sam is talking honestly about covid, right? And not about what he believes will be to his advantage in his new role? lol

If it needs to be stopped because it spreading covid at an unacceptable level (which the Prem isn't*) then stop it - but at the same time it should mean plenty of other unnecessary things (say: plenty of the still-working jobs) also being shut down.

* if we take people like Covid Kyle out of the mix 😛

If Big Sam had that much of a problem with footie during covid he'd have never taken the job.

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

that's one way of looking at it, but I'm pretty sure the govt is thinking 'bread and circuses'.

Are they wrong to think the people need the distraction of a circus during these trying times? I'm not sure they are.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

that's one way of looking at it, but I'm pretty sure the govt is thinking 'bread and circuses'.

Are they wrong to think the people need the distraction of a circus during these trying times? I'm not sure they are.

Just suspend it for a few weeks, cancel the euros and let all Citys players get back fit. Then we can go on to win the title. Thats the fairest solution.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I am looking at it from my position as a health professional. Multiple patients/family/carers have mentioned footballers still allowed to play, hug each other etc. I just think it undermines the general message. I have no doubt people need distraction, I think most would cope with a 2 week break.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I am looking at it from my position as a health professional. Multiple patients/family/carers have mentioned footballers still allowed to play, hug each other etc. I just think it undermines the general message. I have no doubt people need distraction, I think most would cope with a 2 week break.

I don't think a 2 week break of Prem football would cause those people to suddenly acquire a brain. Do you?  If you removed Prem football from their possible excuses they'd only find something else in its place.

As I said I've no problem with it being shut down as a medical necessity if that's the case, but as far as I can see it's one of the very-lowest risk things still allowed to happen, and where I do think there's a genuine moral benefit back onto society in these otherwise-grim times.

I am struggling a bit with this Carney controversy. From my perspective clubs should be allowed to challenge something a pundit says whether male or female. From what I have read similar comments have been made on social media about male pundits with no criticism.

The sexist responses she got were clearly unacceptable. However doesn't that prove what we already knew that there are many idiots hiding behind social media. Surely twitter should do more to sort out these people?

21 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I am struggling a bit with this Carney controversy. From my perspective clubs should be allowed to challenge something a pundit says whether male or female. From what I have read similar comments have been made on social media about male pundits with no criticism.

The sexist responses she got were clearly unacceptable. However doesn't that prove what we already knew that there are many idiots hiding behind social media. Surely twitter should do more to sort out these people?

Its leeds fans, did you expect them to react in a different way? 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Imo a top tier club clapping back at a pundit whose job is to offer opinion is a bit clickbaity and lame but not really unacceptable.

You mentioned challenging someone regardless of their gender. The problem lies in that the comms team at Leeds should know that when they publicly challenge a female pundit in such a way, it will invite a misogynistic and sexist pile on.

Sure, Leeds aren't the ones using that language but they know full well that they are hanging Carney out to dry there, which imo they shouldn't be doing. Should the preceeding comments be their responsibility? Ultimately and in an ideal world, no. But unless more people start taking responsibility then nothing will change.

Female pundits are subjected to a type of abuse that their male colleagues aren't. If I work for Leeds United social media team, I'm aware of that and I know better than to create a situation in an environment where that kind of abuse is rife.

It would be great if we could call out Carney in the same way we call out Carra or Keane when they say something thick but for the most part we aren't able to do so without resorting to misogyny. That means, in my opinion, that we have to treat people and situations differently in order to create a level playing field where females in the industry can participate on equal terms as everybody else.

Edited by jyoung

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Imo a top tier club clapping back at a pundit whose job is to offer opinion is a bit clickbaity and lame but not really unacceptable.

You mentioned challenging someone regardless of their gender. The problem lies in that the comms team at Leeds should know that when they publicly challenge a female pundit in such a way, it will invite a misogynistic and sexist pile on.

Sure, Leeds aren't the ones using that language but they know full well that they are hanging Carney out to dry there, which imo they shouldn't be doing. Should the preceeding comments be their responsibility? Ultimately and in an ideal world, no. But unless more people start taking responsibility then nothing will change.

Female pundits are subjected to a type of abuse that their male colleagues aren't. If I work for Leeds United social media team, I'm aware of that and I know better than to create a situation in an environment where that kind of abuse is rife.

It would be great if we could call out Carney in the same way we call out Carra or Keane when they say something thick but for the most part we aren't able to do so without resorting to misogyny. That means, in my opinion, that we have to treat people and situations differently in order to create a level playing field where females in the industry can participate on equal terms as everybody else.

5 hours ago, jyoung said:

I actually think many female pundits would not think a situation where male pundits can have their views debated, but females need to be protected as equal terms. 

The views of a pundit should always be open to question. If those questioning do it in an abusive manner then punishment should be anything from warnings by the social media companies, to bans, to criminal action depending on severity.

7 hours ago, jyoung said:

There’s always been a deep routed level of sexism towards women in the game, whether it’s pundits, commentators or officials. The things that their male counterparts do on a daily basis are immediately jumped on.  There is no doubt in my mind that had a male pundit said the same things about Leeds then it would barely have been noticed.

There seems to be some sort of belief that women are somehow incapable of watching a match, analysing what they see and articulating it back to the viewer... In reality I don’t see how any woman could ever offer less insight than Dean Saunders.

• Upvote 1