Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Might as well start this.

 

Ideal:

Bring Me The Horizon/My Chemical Romance/Rage Against The Machine (sub RATM for Metallica if Copping wants the older audience)

 

Realistic:

Avenged Sevenfold/Rammstein/Iron Maiden

Edited by dannymichaels
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Power Trip took their shot, they were seriously good that day and commanded the crowd like it was nothing. Was wicked to see the reaction.

Biffy being uninspired is just an outright lie.

System Of A Down are not a good booking, no matter how you try to spin in. 

Five Finger Death Punch, Iron Maiden & Avenged Sevenfold as headliners. 
 

3 of Trivium, Judas Priest, Halestorm & Marilyn Manson as subs. 
 

Amon Amarth, Behemoth, Sabaton, Lamb of God & Megadeth to be third down Main or Second Stage headliners. 

Edited by Andre91
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I could also see the hat bumping Motley Crue up to headliners off the back of the reunion & film. By no means am I saying he should, but it's the sort of 'inspired' booking he'd make to get a 'new' headliner. 

I get what you’re saying but that’s shit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I could also see the hat bumping Motley Crue up to headliners off the back of the reunion & film. By no means am I saying he should, but it's the sort of 'inspired' booking he'd make to get a 'new' headliner. 

No chance. Headline 2nd stage again maybe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

No chance. Headline 2nd stage again maybe. 

By no means do I think he should, but they're an arena band & it's an easier sell with the reunion. If Copping is set on keeping a MOR headliner (& personally I'd rather they didn't) with choices running low then I'd rather them than bloody Def Leppard again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

By no means do I think he should, but they're an arena band & it's an easier sell with the reunion. If Copping is set on keeping a MOR headliner (& personally I'd rather they didn't) with choices running low then I'd rather them than bloody Def Leppard again. 

Iron Maiden or Metallica should be around so I think he will be trying to book one of them as the 'classic headliner'. Maiden obvs couldnt do 2021 now so 2022 is reasonable to guess they will. Metallica were set to start doing US festivals again and its been awhile since they did Download so imagine they are having money thrown at them. 

Edit - or hey might get both, Sonisphere did that afterall! And it would help take Download up to the 110000 capacity, nornally somewhere between 70000 and 90000. 

Edited by Spiral_Low
Link to post
Share on other sites

Def Leppard / Five Finger Death Punch / Maiden

Motley Crue / Ghost / Judas Priest as subs.

Think the Def-Motley-Poison-Joan Jett tour will come as a package, and you can realistically expect that as slots 1-4 on MOR Mainstage day. Download weren't shy about having Leppard do 2009 and 2011, so 2019 and 2022 shouldn't be a shock tbh.

MCR, Creed, Rage and BMTH are all more novel options but all won't happen for one reason or another.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

Def Leppard / Five Finger Death Punch / Maiden

Motley Crue / Ghost / Judas Priest as subs.

Think the Def-Motley-Poison-Joan Jett tour will come as a package, and you can realistically expect that as slots 1-4 on MOR Mainstage day. Download weren't shy about having Leppard do 2009 and 2011, so 2019 and 2022 shouldn't be a shock tbh.

MCR, Creed, Rage and BMTH are all more novel options but all won't happen for one reason or another.

Judas Priest are touring fests in 2021, and heading too, so I doubt they will be doing any in 2022.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloodstock showing Download how you give a leg up to younger bands by having them play Main Stage slots. It’s awesome to see bands like Conjurer, Svalbard and Jinjer on the biggest stage at Bloodstock. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

Judas Priest are touring fests in 2021, and heading too, so I doubt they will be doing any in 2022.

Good intel that, thanks.

Could it be Black Stone back for a bite of the sub Cherry?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Good intel that, thanks.

Could it be Black Stone back for a bite of the sub Cherry?

Black Stone Cheery could be a 2nd stage headliner if the headliners are pretty metal. Copping seems to like having bands like them on 2nd if there are heavier bands on main. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Bloodstock showing Download how you give a leg up to younger bands by having them play Main Stage slots. It’s awesome to see bands like Conjurer, Svalbard and Jinjer on the biggest stage at Bloodstock. 

Bare in mind that Bloodstock mainstage is closer to Download second stage in size and the likes of the three you have mentioned have often been booked for  early on Download second stage

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Bare in mind that Bloodstock mainstage is closer to Download second stage in size and the likes of the three you have mentioned have often been booked for  early on Download second stage

None of the bands I named have ever played the Second Stage at Download. 

Edited by Andre91
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

None of the bands I named have ever played the Second Stage at Download. 

Apologies, I meant they have given a leg up to younger bands on the second Download stage which is a similar size to main stage Bloodstock, I didn’t mean those three exact bands had played Download second stage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Apologies, I meant they have given a leg up to younger bands on the second Download stage which is a similar size to main stage Bloodstock, I didn’t mean those three exact bands had played Download second stage.

Nah, they don’t really, not on the top two stages, not very consistently. Whilst being a smaller festival, Bloodstock consistently book younger, exciting bands on their Main Stage. Download seem to put them mostly in the tents. 

When they do, they afford slots on the top two stages to younger/newer bands, they go to dull as dishwater water bands who ape classic rock and American rock radio, such as Wayward Sons, Stone Broken and Those Damn Crows. Wayward Sons sound like your typical local pub band and play 300 capacity venues. How have they landed a slot opening the Main Stage at the biggest festival of it‘s kind? 
 

There’s plenty of young exciting bands who should be getting slots on those stages, such as Code Orange, Black Peaks, Employed To Serve, Knocked Loose, Conjurer, Loathe and Jinjer to name a few. I was pleasantly surprised when Alien Weaponry and Power Trip played early Main Stage slots last year. They both pulled decent crowds, particularly Power Trip. 

I think my issue is that the top two stages at the biggest rock and metal festival in the country don’t reflect what is exciting about modern rock and metal and I think they should do more to address it. 

I’ve already got my Download ticket so I don’t have much right to moan :lol: but I am I’m hoping to attend Bloodstock too for the first time.

Edited by Andre91
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Nah, they don’t really, not on the top two stages, not very consistently. Whilst being a smaller festival, Bloodstock consistently book younger, exciting bands on their Main Stage. Download seem to put them mostly in the tents. 

When they do, they afford slots on the top two stages to younger/newer bands, they go to dull as dishwater water bands who ape classic rock and American rock radio, such as Wayward Sons, Stone Broken and Those Damn Crows. Wayward Sons sound like your typical local pub band and play 300 capacity venues. How have they landed a slot opening the Main Stage at the biggest festival of it‘s kind? 

There’s plenty of young exciting bands who should be getting slots on those stages, such as Code Orange, Black Peaks, Employed To Serve, Knocked Loose, Conjurer, Loathe and Jinjer to name a few. I was pleasantly surprised when Alien Weaponry and Power Trip played early Main Stage slots last year. They both pulled decent crowds, particularly Power Trip. 

I think my issue is that the top two stages at the biggest rock and metal festival in the country don’t reflect what is exciting about modern rock and metal and I think they should do more to address it. 

I’ve already got my Download ticket so I don’t have much right to moan :lol: but I am I’m hoping to attend Bloodstock too for the first time.

It makes no sense. I presume the bookers are sorted by stage somehow. The acts lower down on the second and main stage are mainly those boring acts. I suppose they did get it right with Boston Manor opening in 2018. I guess it just reflects on DL kind of weird refusal/ignorance in booking exciting, fresh or more diverse artists. I guess that festivals like ATG and Bloodstock have more or capitalised on that.

I'd even say it goes further than main stage. There are plenty of smaller more exciting acts that have been subbed at DL for whatever reason. A bands like Deafheaven and Full of Hell have never even been booked despite getting recognition outside of the metal community. 

Also Rolo Tomassi should open the main stage and get Higher Power opening 2nd as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I was pleasantly surprised when Alien Weaponry and Power Trip played early Main Stage slots last year. They both pulled decent crowds, particularly Power Trip.

Power Trip took their shot, they were seriously good that day and commanded the crowd like it was nothing. Was wicked to see the reaction.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, justanothername said:

It makes no sense. I presume the bookers are sorted by stage somehow. The acts lower down on the second and main stage are mainly those boring acts. I suppose they did get it right with Boston Manor opening in 2018. I guess it just reflects on DL kind of weird refusal/ignorance in booking exciting, fresh or more diverse artists. I guess that festivals like ATG and Bloodstock have more or capitalised on that.

I'd even say it goes further than main stage. There are plenty of smaller more exciting acts that have been subbed at DL for whatever reason. A bands like Deafheaven and Full of Hell have never even been booked despite getting recognition outside of the metal community. 

Also Rolo Tomassi should open the main stage and get Higher Power opening 2nd as well.

Over the last 5 years, Main Stage wise, I would add Beartooth in 2016, Creeper in 2017, Marmozets in 2018 and Cane Hill in 2019 to the list of Boston Manor, Alien Weaponry and Power Trip. It’s not that many bands. 
 

I can’t understand why you wouldn’t want to show people what is exciting and new. The amount of people I spoke to about Alien Weaponry last year after they played was really cool to hear, they clearly won over a lot of fans that day. That’s exactly what should be happening on the top two stages. They’re televised on the Highlights show. If someone was to watch that show, which only broadcasts those two stages, they would probably think that nothing exciting has been happening for years and years because of those boring bands mentioned earlier getting airtime, along with the repeats higher up. 
 

I definitely agree that it happens on the lower stages too but not to the extent of the Main and Second stages. There’s always a fair few younger, exciting bands playing Third and Fourth, mostly because they’ve been shoved in there rather than being put on display to bigger audiences :lol: 

The #1 example I can think of is Black Peaks. Why were they playing the tent again and not given a shot on the Main Stage in 2019 when they played Download? Both of their albums have received lots of critical acclaim, they’ve supported Deftones at Wembley, System Of A Down in Europe and were due to play the 1,500 capacity Electric Ballroom in London last year before Will got sick and they had to cancel the tour. They’re exactly the kind of band who should be playing early Main Stage to win people over, not Wayward Sons or Whiskey Myers. Black Peaks would have gone down a storm with a bunch of Tool fans on the Main Stage last year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always see the lower main stage spots at festivals as perfect for new bands. New bands don’t have an extensive amounts songs so the shorter set length plays to their advantage rather than bigger acts who have to make cuts to the set lists.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2020 at 9:27 AM, Andre91 said:

Over the last 5 years, Main Stage wise, I would add Beartooth in 2016, Creeper in 2017, Marmozets in 2018 and Cane Hill in 2019 to the list of Boston Manor, Alien Weaponry and Power Trip. It’s not that many bands. 
 

I can’t understand why you wouldn’t want to show people what is exciting and new. The amount of people I spoke to about Alien Weaponry last year after they played was really cool to hear, they clearly won over a lot of fans that day. That’s exactly what should be happening on the top two stages. They’re televised on the Highlights show. If someone was to watch that show, which only broadcasts those two stages, they would probably think that nothing exciting has been happening for years and years because of those boring bands mentioned earlier getting airtime, along with the repeats higher up. 
 

I definitely agree that it happens on the lower stages too but not to the extent of the Main and Second stages. There’s always a fair few younger, exciting bands playing Third and Fourth, mostly because they’ve been shoved in there rather than being put on display to bigger audiences :lol: 

The #1 example I can think of is Black Peaks. Why were they playing the tent again and not given a shot on the Main Stage in 2019 when they played Download? Both of their albums have received lots of critical acclaim, they’ve supported Deftones at Wembley, System Of A Down in Europe and were due to play the 1,500 capacity Electric Ballroom in London last year before Will got sick and they had to cancel the tour. They’re exactly the kind of band who should be playing early Main Stage to win people over, not Wayward Sons or Whiskey Myers. Black Peaks would have gone down a storm with a bunch of Tool fans on the Main Stage last year. 

Even then I'd say that Cane Hill is pushing the definition of "exciting" :lol:. I suppose that DL feels like it should keep those type of acts to the Avalanche stage. I remember when the stage was announced a few years ago and the comments on social media were that "just keep that stuff to that stage". Have bookers taken this literally and decided to quarantine certain acts to it?

Maybe another reason is the growing rise in the competition. Slam Dunk, ATG, 2000trees, Bloodstock and Outbreak have all grown quite a bit over the past few years while Download just seems to stagnated. I don't see how it would be a problem as I assume plenty of bands would accept a main stage slot for the exposure and skip those festivals for the year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...