When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I think they should have allowed for leeway both sides of the 5 weeks depending on the data, faster if the data allows and slower if necessary. 
Apart from that I can’t complain too much, this is the roadmap we’ve got so just going to have to accept it and hope we continue to get jabs in arms as quick as possible so we can have our lives back and enjoy a bloody good summer. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

The next election is 3 years away, you have to wonder how much of it will dominated by COVID if any at all?

That's what annoys me, as it absolutely should be.  It's a generation-defining thing, and you just know people will have forgotten how it was handled by then.  But you can also guarantee that the success of the vaccine programme will be brought up in their campaigning.

Just now, DirtyLurker said:

So as the name suggests I'm a lurker - this thread has kept me informed/entertained/crying (delete as appropriate!) over the last 12 months.

Johnson's latest has basically tipped me over the edge; I have now been without work for exactly (to the day) 12 months, I'm a Freelance limited company chef, no work = no money & I've had zero government help - sorry, I was all that, now I'm a person about to loss their mind. Plus limited co prob going to have to be dissolved with April tax changes, so soon I'll have no work & no company.

Yes, caution is good but hospitality is yet again taking the brunt.

I mean yes, I too can't wait to be dancing around in a field, hugging my mates but to be honest I'd rather have some semblance of work before then - eateries aren't due to be open for inside dining until Mid May!

So yay for the potential of some kind of summer funtimes but bloody hell can I please get some sort of career back 1st!

I'm really sorry to hear that mate, your post is a good reminder of the suffering some are still going through. I really hope you can sort things out and manage to find a solution. Hopefully something will come in next weeks budget!

• Like 1

Just now, BobWillis said:

I think they should have allowed for leeway both sides of the 5 weeks depending on the data, faster if the data allows and slower if necessary. 
Apart from that I can’t complain too much, this is the roadmap we’ve got so just going to have to accept it and hope we continue to get jabs in arms as quick as possible so we can have our lives back and enjoy a bloody good summer. 

I think that's the thing though, with the timelags you see between changes and the corresponding effect on the stats a 5-week gap has to be allowed for the effects of those changes to really be seen.  We're so close it has to be better to go forward slowly but not have to about ferret because we went too quick.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

When it says individual use only for gyms, do we think that just means don't go with a group of mates? Hoping they'll be allowed to socially distanced classes.

Classes can't start until May 17 at the earliest. Least gives me plenty of time to get back in shape before I'm teaching again!

1 minute ago, Quark said:

That's what annoys me, as it absolutely should be.  It's a generation-defining thing, and you just know people will have forgotten how it was handled by then.  But you can also guarantee that the success of the vaccine programme will be brought up in their campaigning.

I think a lot will have gone on by then for COVID to be a huge factor, it should be given the earlier huge mistakes but we still have the shadow of Brexit looming over us. The Tories will possibly get rid of Johnson before then anyway and they can shift that blame onto his government. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

unless he calls an election in the autumn.....🤔

At this moment in time he would still need a vote in the Commons to do that.

The four tests to be met at each stage are,

• The vaccine deployment programme continues successfully
  • Evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently effective in reducing hospitalisations and deaths in those vaccinated
  • Infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put unsustainable pressure on the NHS
  • The assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new variants of the virus

If the data for the 4 tests isn't there there will be a delay, each delay pushes the whole schedule back, he is determined to keep a 5 week gap between stages (why?).

Notice they haven't put any quantifiable number in any of these tests, they are open to interpretation and we know how pessimistic some of the scientists can be. The warning signs came before this announcement, data not dates, I wouldn't get too optimistic yet.

14 minutes ago, Homer said:

Basic questions: so when can I drive from London to Norfolk and stay ay my mate's eco barn?

When can I go on holiday in the UK?

Can I now book a foreign holiday?

Why was Bruce Springsteen so boring?

Answers: 

You're allowed to leave your area from 29th March, but I guess not if staying with your mate at the the time (indoor mixing from 17th May)

Holiday in the UK in your household is allowed from April 12th I think? 

I reckon you can book a foreign holiday yeah. Even more so if cancellable! (We have)

He is a boring old fart 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ozanne said:

I think a lot will have gone on by then for COVID to be a huge factor, it should be given the earlier huge mistakes but we still have the shadow of Brexit looming over us. The Tories will possibly get rid of Johnson before then anyway and they can shift that blame onto his government. 

I think the vaccine rollout has absolutely saved his skin for now.  I was 100% convinced that he'd be gone in the first half of 2021 through a combination of brexit and covid, with someone like Gove lining up to take his spot, but the success of the rollout and what currently looks like a way out has dampened that. If he folds to pressure and accelerates it or goes against the advice when it comes to easing restrictions then it might still be the case, but I think he'd have to work to get outed now.

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Notice they haven't put any quantifiable number in any of these tests, they are open to interpretation and we know how pessimistic some of the scientists can be. The warning signs came before this announcement, data not dates, I wouldn't get too optimistic yet.

do you honestly think a tory government wants to keep us locked up and not spending  ? could it not work in reverse that they haven't given any quantifiable numbers because they want to open anyway ... 

Just now, Quark said:

I think the vaccine rollout has absolutely saved his skin for now.  I was 100% convinced that he'd be gone in the first half of 2021 through a combination of brexit and covid, with someone like Gove lining up to take his spot, but the success of the rollout and what currently looks like a way out has dampened that. If he folds to pressure and accelerates it or goes against the advice when it comes to easing restrictions then it might still be the case, but I think he'd have to work to get outed now.

I do think you are right that he has bought himself some time but there were still some audible moans from his own benches today, I don't think this plan is quick enough for some of his own backbenchers. I still think he'll be gone why the end of 2021 as more comes out through the rest of the pandemic and the ongoing issues caused by Brexit.

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I'm really sorry to hear that mate, your post is a good reminder of the suffering some are still going through. I really hope you can sort things out and manage to find a solution. Hopefully something will come in next weeks budget!

Thanks 😊 unfortunately I think the tax changes are nailed on so there's no way forward other than dissolving Co.

I'm very lucky that my partner is in a whole other line of business & their contracts have kept us afloat.

I'm just feeling extremely sorry for myself right now.

3 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

If the data for the 4 tests isn't there there will be a delay, each delay pushes the whole schedule back, he is determined to keep a 5 week gap between stages (why?).

They have to allow sufficient time for the effects of a change to take hold and start showing up in any statistics.

4 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

I don't think they could feasibly put numbers into the public domain. It has to be done with an overall view, can't just be pinned down purely to a number. 

Just now, DirtyLurker said:

Thanks 😊 unfortunately I think the tax changes are nailed on so there's no way forward other than dissolving Co.

I'm very lucky that my partner is in a whole other line of business & their contracts have kept us afloat.

I'm just feeling extremely sorry for myself right now.

Glad to hear you've got something supporting you, but that does all sound like an absolute nightmare.  I'm sure it can seem that those in favour of lockdown and exiting slowly either don't know or don't care about people on the thin end, but that's absolutely not the case.  Really hope you can salvage it.

Just now, duke88 said:

Yeah, I'll probably start taking some outdoor classes from the end of next month - I'm sure people will be doing them around where you live if you have a look.

Yeah it's just the worst of both worlds for me if the gym opens because I never use the gym except for classes, but will still have to pay for it. Might see if I can freeze.

Just now, duke88 said:

Yeah, I'll probably start taking some outdoor classes from the end of next month - I'm sure people will be doing them around where you live if you have a look.

I'll be in touch with the PT we were working with in the autumn, she can do classes in her back garden as well as the park so we might be able to start on that again.  I've been smashing the running, but dear god do I want to get back in a gym and lift some weights!

Hopefully if all goes to plan we can start some kind of rugby up again soon as well, even if it's just training and touch rather than anything competitive, maybe with a view to a proper season of some kind next year.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Answers: 

You're allowed to leave your area from 29th March, but I guess not if staying with your mate at the the time (indoor mixing from 17th May)

Holiday in the UK in your household is allowed from April 12th I think? 

I reckon you can book a foreign holiday yeah. Even more so if cancellable! (We have)

He is a boring old fart 

Thanks for that. Appreciate I could have done the legwork - but I had some beers last night and my brain can't be bothered with much currently!

10 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

The four tests to be met at each stage are,

• The vaccine deployment programme continues successfully
  • Evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently effective in reducing hospitalisations and deaths in those vaccinated
  • Infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put unsustainable pressure on the NHS
  • The assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new variants of the virus

I see it as the other way around. The tests aren't quantified because they don't want to roll stuff back