When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

30 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well well well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions....

The EU has exported millions of doses of COVID vaccine in Q1...how much have the UK exported? Genuine question as AZ is the only licensed one currently being manufactured in the UK and they’ve said they can’t export it til their UK contract is fulfilled. Rather than blocking vaccine exports, on the contrary, the EU have been exporting loads (to over 20 non-EU countries at the last count...including the UK!)...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

The EU has exported millions of doses of COVID vaccine in Q1...how much have the UK exported? Genuine question as AZ is the only licensed one currently being manufactured in the UK and they’ve said they can’t export it til their UK contract is fulfilled. Rather than blocking vaccine exports, on the contrary, the EU have been exporting loads (to over 20 non-EU countries at the last count...including the UK!)...

But they have specifically blocked exports from Italy and France to Australia recently.... so seems a bit rich for them to ask America to not do the same that they have

I'm not saying AZN are blameless. But Pfizer have also supplied less than promised without the same criticism AZN has had. Its complicated!

36 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

yes, but along with tory mps and the telegraph we like to scoff at the eu.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

But they have specifically blocked exports from Italy and France to Australia recently.... so seems a bit rich for them to ask America to not do the same that they have

I'm not saying AZN are blameless. But Pfizer have also supplied less than promised without the same criticism AZN has had. Its complicated!

Pfizer slowed down for a couple of weeks in order to increase production, but haven’t missed their quarterly targets at all, in fact they’ve exceeded them (in the EU anyway, don’t know about their export targets, but we’ve been getting more Pfizer shots than planned and it’s covering the shortfall in the AZ deliveries, which are very patchy and are still coming in under order at little or no notice). AZ on the other hand announced that they could supply 25m of 90m for Q1, backtracked a bit to say they could deliver 40m, but haven’t actually been hitting those targets anyway. Then they followed that up by saying they could maybe deliver 90m of the 180m scheduled for Q2 (have since backtracked again saying they might get close to 180m, though it’s still over 50m short on the H1 delivery schedule if they do and I won’t hold my breath). Basically they over-promised and can’t deliver. I think it’s entirely reasonable for the EU to stop them exporting if they are that far behind on their obligations (though I’m not absolving the EC from procuring vaccines as if it was toilet roll and only focussing on price). Additionally, Europe is still in the middle of a fairly big infection wave, the need is currently greater than in Australia. Every request for Pfizer or Moderna export from the EU has been granted. What they are asking the US to do is exactly what happened in the UK in December (ship vaccines currently unlicensed for use to somewhere they are). Pfizer and Moderna are both supplying the US from the EU, reciprocating with a vaccine they can’t use at the moment would be fair. I’m not having a go at the UK, how the vaccine was to be produced by you guys was well organised, but AZ haven’t lived up to their end of the bargain elsewhere.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Pfizer slowed down for a couple of weeks in order to increase production, but haven’t missed their quarterly targets at all, in fact they’ve exceeded them (in the EU anyway, don’t know about their export targets, but we’ve been getting more Pfizer shots than planned and it’s covering the shortfall in the AZ deliveries, which are very patchy and are still coming in under order at little or no notice). AZ on the other hand announced that they could supply 25m of 90m for Q1, backtracked a bit to say they could deliver 40m, but haven’t actually been hitting those targets anyway. Then they followed that up by saying they could maybe deliver 90m of the 180m scheduled for Q2 (have since backtracked again saying they might get close to 180m, though it’s still over 50m short on the H1 delivery schedule if they do and I won’t hold my breath). Basically they over-promised and can’t deliver. I think it’s entirely reasonable for the EU to stop them exporting if they are that far behind on their obligations (though I’m not absolving the EC from procuring vaccines as if it was toilet roll and only focussing on price). Additionally, Europe is still in the middle of a fairly big infection wave, the need is currently greater than in Australia. Every request for Pfizer or Moderna export from the EU has been granted. What they are asking the US to do is exactly what happened in the UK in December (ship vaccines currently unlicensed for use to somewhere they are). Pfizer and Moderna are both supplying the US from the EU, reciprocating with a vaccine they can’t use at the moment would be fair. I’m not having a go at the UK, how the vaccine was to be produced by you guys was well organised, but AZ haven’t lived up to their end of the bargain elsewhere.

Oh I'm sure AZN have overpromised. But I also feel there aew issues with the EU procurement other than AZN production issues. Germany and France's govt seemingly deciding to denigrate the AZN vaccine is ridiculous as well. They are screwing up their own rollout over pride it seems!

Edited by zahidf

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Oh I'm sure AZN have overpromised. But I also feel there aew issues with the EU procurement other than AZN production issues. Germany and France's govt seemingly deciding to denigrate the AZN vaccine is ridiculous though. 

Agree entirely about the ludicrous carry on from certain politicians across the continent, pretty stupid and they look like fools now!

17 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

It's all he knows from his past associations (not saying everton would be any better, probably worse to be honest) 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

28 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we finish with only Pfizer, Moderna and AZ. Although the Novavax CEO apparently said he was aiming for sometime in April - not that we've approved it yet.

Isn’t the Johnson & Johnson vaccine a single dose only?

That sounds a useful vaccine option to have. 

25 minutes ago, Mr Boo said:

Isn’t the Johnson & Johnson vaccine a single dose only?

That sounds a useful vaccine option to have. 

Meh. As far as I can tell, it's no better as a single dose than the others, it's just the only one to have been trialled as a single dose, with acceptable, but unimpressive results. If we're going to try to stamp this thing out properly, I suspect we'll want to run it as a double dose vaccine anyway - once those numbers come in.