When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, Haan said:

The big issue for me is that we have like no choice, it's either Starmer or more Tories so unless he turns out to be more evil than the Tories I will definitely be voting Labour. I feel like he must know this is true for a lot of lefties so he's trying to get centrist support too but I fear that he might end up pandering to more immoral stuff, like on immigration. I don't want a repeat of those Labour immigration mugs that happened under Miliband. We should be combatting this stuff by pointing out how wrong it is.

I favour a bait and switch approach. Pretend to be all centrist dad in opposition then get into government and swerve to the left from within. It’s exactly what the Tories did. Cameron was a centrist from opposition then the party moved more towards the right progressively in government. 

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

London moves to tier 3 on wed ... why wait ?! 

Unless you’re going to literally send the heavies round shutting pubs down then it can’t be done immediately. I think it should be from tomorrow though. 

54 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

That'll show the nazi's!

Love how the media spent the last 2 years laying into Labour endlessly for anti-semitism, but are perfectly fine with an actual nazi phoning in to a radio show

Watching this, the woman on the phone farts out such a constant stream of untruths (defending people booing a anti-racism gesture by claiming white people are an oppressed group, nonsense about there being "indigenous Britons", complete falsehoods about Israeli "state law", an implied claim that white people in the UK don't have self determination, presumably because non-white people can vote) that it is hard to really grasp on to what the hell her point actually was and it would take an age to dispel everything she say point by point.

You have two options here to respond. Isolate the original point and argue against that (which is what Kier does) and risk it being seen that you tacitly support (or cannot respond to) the other nonsense they've thrown out. Or you respond to each point individually, which increases the exposure given to these absolute weapons and might makes it seem like they have made genuine points worth addressing.

The lady is gish galloping, an old tactic of the far-right and one we need to be wary of. We must not fall into the trap of thinking that Stammer's non engagement is tacit support, that's how the far-right want you to read it.

Completely agree with your point about LBC platforming this neo-nazi donkey.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Haan said:

The big issue for me is that we have like no choice, it's either Starmer or more Tories so unless he turns out to be more evil than the Tories I will definitely be voting Labour. I feel like he must know this is true for a lot of lefties so he's trying to get centrist support too but I fear that he might end up pandering to more immoral stuff, like on immigration. I don't want a repeat of those Labour immigration mugs that happened under Miliband. We should be combatting this stuff by pointing out how wrong it is.

agreed, but it's really hard with the constant anti-immigration stuff coming from certain newspapers, farage , social media etc. That guardian podcast had a woman from Leigh moaning about crime going up because of all the immigrants...when Leigh doesn't have many immigrants, but has suffered massively due to austerity...but so simple to just blame immigrants, always works.

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I favour a bait and switch approach. Pretend to be all centrist dad in opposition then get into government and swerve to the left from within. It’s exactly what the Tories did. Cameron was a centrist from opposition then the party moved more towards the right progressively in government. 

This would be incredible; I hope that is the case. 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

agreed, but it's really hard with the constant anti-immigration stuff coming from certain newspapers, farage , social media etc. That guardian podcast had a woman from Leigh moaning about crime going up because of all the immigrants...when Leigh doesn't have many immigrants, but has suffered massively due to austerity...but so simple to just blame immigrants, always works.

Yeah there either needs to be a bigger effort from those on the left to win the argument. I was going to say we have to call out these things but then I fear we'd end up always playing defence.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s going to happen anyway whether it’s “allowed” or not. We live in a free country. 

You state that like it has to happen and that people won’t listen at all to restrictions and advice ... I beg to differ ... if the message is strong enough and done over a period of time then lots of people will listen ... I’ve mentioned before that on our zoom call 9 people were on there and not 1 of them was maxing out the government restrictions ... actually quite the opposite ... most were just having Christmas with just households ... yes of course some will take a course of action that crosses the tiers but quite a lot are worried for close relatives ... it’s not quite the same as when you infect a complete stranger unknowingly 

Just now, Euphoricape said:

No point putting London in tier 3 if people there are still free to travel wherever they want to. National lockdown is what we need, with no travelling.

I dunno how effective this will be, if people are mixing indoors in tier 2 then they’ll still do so in tier 3. The government have really lost the messaging here. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I dunno how effective this will be, if people are mixing indoors in tier 2 then they’ll still do so in tier 3. The government have really lost the messaging here. 

This is a good point. There's not a lot of difference between tier 2 and tier 3 when it comes to household mixing, just gardens allowed in tier 2. It's just the pubs closing really. I'm not sure it's going to make a vast difference.

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

You state that like it has to happen and that people won’t listen at all to restrictions and advice ... I beg to differ ... if the message is strong enough and done over a period of time then lots of people will listen ... I’ve mentioned before that on our zoom call 9 people were on there and not 1 of them was maxing out the government restrictions ... actually quite the opposite ... most were just having Christmas with just households ... yes of course some will take a course of action that crosses the tiers but quite a lot are worried for close relatives ... it’s not quite the same as when you infect a complete stranger unknowingly 

Yep exactly. The majority will follow the rules if they get tightened, most people understand why the rules have been brought in. Just because we have these restrictions now doesn’t mean we don’t have freedom. Just because people had curfews and rationing in the war doesn’t mean they weren’t fighting for their freedoms.

On this subject of moving during Christmas. 

My friend lives in Cardiff, who are obviously not doing well cases wise. He was coming home for christmas was going to travel without getting tested or isolated before hand. Now his housemate has had a covid outbreak at work and he has to get tested, 

So just goes to show how easily people could transmit the virus while travelling home for christmas if not careful

Matt Hancock and his messaging, if he was smart he would ramping up testing messaging telling everyone to get one before they travel for xmas, but 11 days before xmas, starting to tell people to be careful aint gonna do anything

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is a good point. There's not a lot of difference between tier 2 and tier 3 when it comes to household mixing, just gardens allowed in tier 2. It's just the pubs closing really. I'm not sure it's going to make a vast difference.

Sorry, off topic, but did you say earlier: gyms yes, classes no? I know outdoor sports is still okay. Not heard the classes thing before. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

no, me neither. January/February could be very grim.