Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

What's your best guess?   

1,011 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

2 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Our government can shut this country down if it likes. In a democracy. Italy is a democracy. It's called emergency powers. Singapore is a democracy. South Korea is a democracy. etc etc

From first hand accounts, what Italy have done is nothing like China.

China had quarantine enforced by police and military, together with a compulsory phone app tracking where everybody was at all times.

Western governments couldn’t get away with that even if they wanted to. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Imagine if corona takes michael eavis!! 😱

I don’t know who you are, but as a villager myself I am happy chat in the village face to face with you should you wish to identify yourself.   the fence does NOT start to go up until May. I run

27 BC

Posted Images

Just now, eFestivals said:

It's one thing giving yourself the legal powers, it's another thing for the population to accept them or the govt to have the means to enforce them.

I agree we have a lot of muppets who would not listen to anyone, unlike South Korea, Singapore etc. Italy though? Seems to be being adhered to and they are not that dissimilar to us in their lack of obedience 😉

I did wonder whether the massive explosion in Italy is anything to do with the fact that it's quite a tactile culture. Lots of cheek kissing, that kind of thing.

Might be a complete red herring, but would give hope to us emotionally repressed and socially awkward Brits :lol:

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Our government can shut this country down if it likes. In a democracy. Italy is a democracy. It's called emergency powers. Singapore is a democracy. South Korea is a democracy. etc etc

Oh it can try and it could be somewhat adhered to. But that's not the same as China where they have full compliance, martial law etc. They've actually completely shut everything down, no democracy can do it to anywhere near the extent they have.

6 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I agree we have a lot of muppets who would not listen to anyone, unlike South Korea, Singapore etc. Italy though? Seems to be being adhered to and they are not that dissimilar to us in their lack of obedience 😉

they're being adhered to right now. What about next week, and next month, and the month after that? 

I agree with the UK govt that there's a limited amount of time you can enforce strict measures for because life need to go on to a large extent even during a crisis.

9 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I agree we have a lot of muppets who would not listen to anyone

can I just point out that you're suggesting people should listen to the govt if they do what you think is the right action, but you yourself are refusing to listen to them because they have different ideas to you..? :P 

It seems like the precedent from events is to give plenty of notice of postponement/cancellation, so I think we can expect the same from Glastonbury if it comes down to it. 

I am not surprised about the Marathon as that’s only 5 weeks away but I’m a bit surprised that big weekend have cancelled given there’s still 10 weeks until that... Seems a bit premature given that 10 weeks ago none of us had even heard the word “coronavirus” it’s not impossible that in a further 10 weeks it could be all over. 

• Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

It seems like the precedent from events is to give plenty of notice of postponement/cancellation

See the Australian Grand Prix :) Punters turning up at the circuit when they found out!

4 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

It seems like the precedent from events is to give plenty of notice of postponement/cancellation, so I think we can expect the same from Glastonbury if it comes down to it. 

I am not surprised about the Marathon as that’s only 5 weeks away but I’m a bit surprised that big weekend have cancelled given there’s still 10 weeks until that... Seems a bit premature given that 10 weeks ago none of us had even heard the word “coronavirus” it’s not impossible that in a further 10 weeks it could be all over. 

I think the early festivals are cutting it fine, the later ones should be safe though

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Now it's here it'll be with us for ever and a problem until we achieve herd immunity (normally 80% of the population) because people have contracted it or a vaccine is available - probably 12 months away.

18 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

10 weeks ago none of us had even heard the word “coronavirus” it’s not impossible that in a further 10 weeks it could be all over. 

😁 the logic of that...

Dont understand why so many people are failing to grasp the very basics of a spread of this kind of thing.

24 minutes ago, Apone said:

Calling it now, Bearded Theory, Download, Isle of Wight and Glastonbury will be cancelled or postponed

Bearded have already got a contingency plan B to postpone to September with everything being put in place just IF they need to! 

6 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

😁 the logic of that...

Dont understand why so many people are failing to grasp the very basics of a spread of this kind of thing.

If you look at SARS which is a similar strain of infection it followed a similar timeline - started in China before Christmas, spread across the world and hit a peak in March, and was all over by June. Obviously the numbers are higher with Coronavirus, but it’s still not impossible that once the weather warms up it could all fizzle out. 

I admit it’s a long shot I’m just saying it’s not impossible... 

5 minutes ago, Claire0406 said:

Walked around site today, definitely starting to plan the build, workers were a arriving and things were being moved about! 

Did drive past a very stressed looking Mike and Emily though 😕 

Bless them. As much as I want this for me and everyone here, I really want it to go ahead for them. 

Trump will announce National Emergency today.  This will free up the states to operate individually and use resources as they see fit. 

Could possibly see travel restrictions in the states as well.  We are not far off from a 10 day shutdown of non-essential airport  travel. 

1 minute ago, Joshuwarr said:

Bless them. As much as I want this for me and everyone here, I really want it to go ahead for them. 

It must be soooooo stressful for them and disheartening when they’ve put so much work in all year to plan it, being such a special year too! 
I don’t think they’ll cancel unless they are told to though, whether that’s right or wrong is down to the individual I guess, personally I hope they don’t give in to pressure from people not even with tickets! 

DB53C9FA-8304-480A-BD64-D060CA6C25FF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1