Dua Lipa

CaledonianGonzo

Enjoying the album, think the singles have been really strong already, whether they have been big or not. 

I think given its 11 tracks,  36 mins long, there have already been 3 singles,  probably be another 2 at least (end of an era,  falling forever), it will be a stacked set. 

I get that it is a bit different to future nostalgia but it is a good pop album.

I'm hoping something off the album catches, there has been a lot more press over the last few days. 

Question will be whether it's strong enough to know tortured poet's off the top. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Enjoying the album, think the singles have been really strong already, whether they have been big or not. 

I think given its 11 tracks,  36 mins long, there have already been 3 singles,  probably be another 2 at least (end of an era,  falling forever), it will be a stacked set. 

I get that it is a bit different to future nostalgia but it is a good pop album.

I'm hoping something off the album catches, there has been a lot more press over the last few days. 

Question will be whether it's strong enough to know tortured poet's off the top. 

To my ears Falling Forever is the obvious next single and only other real banger on the album, but I’m unsure whether it’s enough to capture people’s attention after the previous three singles kinda failed to do so.

Think it’s too soon to call this a flop era, but it really doesn’t seem to have grabbed people like I’m sure her and her people were surely hoping for. All the singles and now the album have been greeted largely by a ‘that’s it?’

Very much "in one ear and out the other" for me. None of it's bad but at the same time nothing sticks. I'd be surprised if I revisited it again. Still think she'll smash the Pyramid.

Edited by crumbler

18 minutes ago, reflekting said:

The idea that the singles have failed is an interesting one. She's still riding high at #7 in the world on Spotify and the three singles are the most popular songs on her artist page. 

Given that she’s supposed to be the hot pop star right now and this is the follow up to her huge breakout album, then yeah, the numbers aren’t great. She’s still incredibly popular so people are gonna listen regardless, but it’s clear the material hasn’t made nearly the same

impact as those FN singles which were all inescapable at the time. 

1. Physical

2. Future Nostalgia

3. Houdini
4. Hotter Than Hell
5. Falling Forever

6. Training Season 
7. Hallucinate

8. Levitating

9. Cool
10. Dance the Night

11. Illusion

12. Electricity

13. One Kiss
14. Be the One

15.  Cold Heart Ft Elton John

16. Boys will be boys
17.  IDGAF
18. New Rules

19. Dont Start Now

Think it’s definitely a grower of a record but I’m already more convinced by it after three listens than the unfortunately samey Jack Antonoff smothered TPD from Swift.

FN’s hit status was probably because it came out on the eve of the pandemic and we were craving some positivity (it obviously also had several absolute bangers) so maybe that’s what we judging everything since quite harshly, but I can’t wait to see her do the likes of Houdini, Illusion and These Walls at glasto. 

… also for my money her best song is the collab with Silk City which absolutely went off when I saw her live in 2022.

3 hours ago, TiZuff said:

1. Physical

2. Future Nostalgia

3. Houdini
4. Hotter Than Hell
5. Falling Forever

6. Training Season 
7. Hallucinate

8. Levitating

9. Cool
10. Dance the Night

11. Illusion

12. Electricity

13. One Kiss
14. Be the One

15.  Cold Heart Ft Elton John

16. Boys will be boys
17.  IDGAF
18. New Rules

19. Dont Start Now

Going through this and I'm surprised how many of these I know and enjoy actually.

Would definitely tempt me (hypothetically as I don't have a ticket) from IDLES.

Lots of fun to be had on the Pyramid Friday night!

Falling Forever was made in the Gaga mould but wouldn’t make the cut on ARTPOP. Anything For Love could’ve been the one, but the studio chit-chat and brevity sell it short. Nothing on Future Nostalgia unfortunately although the show will undoubtedly be everything. 

4 minutes ago, stereodista said:

Falling Forever was made in the Gaga mould but wouldn’t make the cut on ARTPOP. Anything For Love could’ve been the one, but the studio chit-chat and brevity sell it short. Nothing on Future Nostalgia unfortunately although the show will undoubtedly be everything. 

deffo gaga vibes but better than many songs on artpop imo.

I’ve come around to it a little already and that’s got a lot to do with it being short and easily digestible. I was expecting club bangers, she delivered breezy beach pop so it was a bit underwhelming at first, but there’s a fair bit to enjoy here - it’s just a lot less essential than FN. 

Think she dropped the ball not having Falling Forever out as a single already, although I guess it’s not very representative of the rest of the album. 

16 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

deffo gaga vibes but better than many songs on artpop imo.

Appreciate I’m in a minority but I quite like that record. It’s better than Radical Optimism, and I say that as a fan of both artists. 

Reading The Graun’s review and I wasn’t aware she had compared the style of it (a long time ago, admittedly) to Massive Attack’s “Blue Lines” and Andrew Weatherall’s “Screamadelica”.

Agree with Alexis P that it’s not like either of those. But it’s a solid 7.5/10 from me.

Yeah, it’s… enjoyable. Was hoping for more but it could have been worse.

It has become slightly more likely that I may leave to see Faithless part way through but still hopeful it’ll be good enough to make me stay.

Her first-day worldwide streams on Spotify are quite substantially down from last time, especially given how much Spotify's userbase has grown in the last four years. 

Future Nostalgia: 29.1m
Radical Optimism: 15.8m

Edited by WhoOdyssey

On 5/3/2024 at 3:37 PM, FloopFiller said:

I’ve come around to it a little already and that’s got a lot to do with it being short and easily digestible. I was expecting club bangers, she delivered breezy beach pop so it was a bit underwhelming at first, but there’s a fair bit to enjoy here - it’s just a lot less essential than FN. 

Think she dropped the ball not having Falling Forever out as a single already, although I guess it’s not very representative of the rest of the album. 

This could be a review of Solar Power 

• Upvote 1

I've been a big fan since her debut. Enjoyed the new record on first listen but reckon it'll a grower which the singles were for me too. 

Was a little conflicted initially with seeing her or Jungle, but I think I've gotta go with my girly and hope to find some other babes to party with in the crowd. Really excited to see her!