The International Contingent

beefykoala

2 minutes ago, The other Bellboy said:

It is an extortionate increase for what you get in return. I have also looked at maybe getting a flight with a longer stop and then booking a hotel air side for a few hours, I think Singapore has one or 2, can't remember now. But a good period of time to stretch the legs, shower, get a massage etc can all make a mike difference to the feeling when you finally arrive in the UK and this would be alot cheaper than 4 premium economy tickets.

I'm hoping for a 2 for 2 sale 😉

For about $20 NZD you can use the pool at the airside hotel in Singapore. You get a shower as well and there are food options. It’s 100% the best way to spend a few hours stopped over on the way!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, kalifire said:

I travel economy but with extra legroom or an exit row seat. In terms of value, that's the sweet spot. Sometimes thousands less than premium economy and you actually get more legroom.

This is why I’m so gutted about the sale date postponement. Had perfect flights with extra leg room seats lined up for my dates. But those seats will probably be gone in two weeks.

10 hours ago, kalifire said:

I travel economy but with extra legroom or an exit row seat. In terms of value, that's the sweet spot. Sometimes thousands less than premium economy and you actually get more legroom.

8 hours ago, philipsteak said:

This is a good 12 or 13 years ago, but on the Qantas A380 there's a random seat in the  middle of economy that  doesn't have a seat in front of it. This was just when they'd started charging extra for exit row seats but this one didn't have a premium. No idea if it's still the case but I managed to bag it a couple of times. 

When i used to travel long haul a lot (several times a month) i would check and note every good economy seat position, as you are right, there are some that are much better than others and you can either pay a small fee or sometimes nothing to get a much better experience. Travelling so much I did get a get a few upgrades or cheap business class boosts, that made life a lot easier, would arrive some much fresher by just being able to fully recline and keep the fluid out of my legs. Don't miss flying at all. 

16 minutes ago, Mark H said:

For about $20 NZD you can use the pool at the airside hotel in Singapore. You get a shower as well and there are food options. It’s 100% the best way to spend a few hours stopped over on the way!

Was just looking again at the location and i'm edging towards going via Singapore with maybe a decent length stop over for a good rest and use of the hotel / facilities. What we'll save by going economy rather than premium will make a massive difference to the cost of the trip. Cheers

5 minutes ago, The other Bellboy said:

Was just looking again at the location and i'm edging towards going via Singapore with maybe a decent length stop over for a good rest and use of the hotel / facilities. What we'll save by going economy rather than premium will make a massive difference to the cost of the trip. Cheers

Good choice!

There is also a restaurant called Heavenly Wang and I will NEVER grow up and not find that amusing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, couple of questions. 2024 will be my second time heading over from NZ after first going in 2022. In 2022 we had to deal with the International Box Office which probably added about another hour or so to get in on Wednesday afternoon. This year I'll be heading with a friend who lives in the UK. If he pays for my ticket will it be sent to his address? Or will I need to change my address to his for it to be sent in one pack?

1 hour ago, ctrlaltdl8 said:

Hey all, couple of questions. 2024 will be my second time heading over from NZ after first going in 2022. In 2022 we had to deal with the International Box Office which probably added about another hour or so to get in on Wednesday afternoon. This year I'll be heading with a friend who lives in the UK. If he pays for my ticket will it be sent to his address? Or will I need to change my address to his for it to be sent in one pack?

Hi fellow NZer!

I haven’t been since 2022 either but really hope that shambles at the ticket office was a one off thing!!

You can’t change the postal address when paying your ticket balance so neither you nor your friend could elect for it to be sent to their place at that point.

I think you could probably change it now though by going into your order or registration details. 

6 hours ago, ctrlaltdl8 said:

Yes, I did this three times between 2015-2017 when a friend of mine was working in the US.

9 hours ago, ctrlaltdl8 said:

If your friend has a ticket and it’s registered to his address and pays your balance then both tickets are sent to him, we always have our tickets sent to one of the group as then you only pay the postage fee once

• 1 month later...

Well finally booked the flights and time off from work plus a few more houses / hotels for the stay - will be in the UK for just over a month - its all starting to feel real now! Have to wait until March to apply for the visa's so still some stuff to sort out. How's everyone else's plans and arrangements going?

• 1 month later...

How’re we doing, international contingent?

Are plans being made? Flights being booked? Arrangements lining up?

I booked my flights a couple of weeks ago, el cheapo once again so that locks it all in. The itinerary sorts itself out due the immovable dates of the festival. Just a bit of accommodation to sort out now. 

39 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I booked my flights a couple of weeks ago, el cheapo once again so that locks it all in. The itinerary sorts itself out due the immovable dates of the festival. Just a bit of accommodation to sort out now. 

Just sorting out the documents ready for attaching to my daughters visa application, will be able to submit later this week, getting the visa is almost the last piece of the puzzle for us. Should know by the end of March.

Haven't looked at flight prices since booking, be pissed if they have come down over the last month or so 😞

Flight from BOS to BRS booked immediately after my tickets were secured (and the price has only gone up since) along with Airport Flyer to/from Bristol Airport and Nat Express to/from the festival.
Also booked AirB&B in Bristol for Tuesday before and Monday after and Tangerine Fields 2 man (since I don't want to lug a tent on the plane).
My AirB&B host is letting me leave a clean bag w/ change of clothes, etc. in between.
Only thing I really need to do is arrange for my ticket to be mailed to the AirB&B so that I don't have to go to the box office when I get to the fest on Wednesday.
(Oh, and of course plan my ClashFinder once we get a lineup)

10 hours ago, Mike A said:

Flight from BOS to BRS booked immediately after my tickets were secured (and the price has only gone up since) along with Airport Flyer to/from Bristol Airport and Nat Express to/from the festival.
Also booked AirB&B in Bristol for Tuesday before and Monday after and Tangerine Fields 2 man (since I don't want to lug a tent on the plane).
My AirB&B host is letting me leave a clean bag w/ change of clothes, etc. in between.
Only thing I really need to do is arrange for my ticket to be mailed to the AirB&B so that I don't have to go to the box office when I get to the fest on Wednesday.
(Oh, and of course plan my ClashFinder once we get a lineup)

That's what I call a streamlined trip 🙂

Last prep for us was to book a night for Monday, and the random city of the year is.... Canterbury! 

We have all the gear we need but I confess I've been eyeing trolleys, as we are coming by car this year.

On 3/2/2024 at 8:44 AM, kalifire said:

Still got the ticket to get in the resale but working on the basis that vibes will see us through and have the time blocked off in the calendar.

• 4 weeks later...

EU international contingent: looking back, how late were the tickets sent by mail last year? I think there were a few issues with campervan folks? I am wondering if I should have them sent over (I would be heading to the UK only on the Wednesday) or do box office collection...

On 3/27/2024 at 2:27 PM, moogster said:

EU international contingent: looking back, how late were the tickets sent by mail last year? I think there were a few issues with campervan folks? I am wondering if I should have them sent over (I would be heading to the UK only on the Wednesday) or do box office collection...

Got ours mid June in the post

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dougal1 said:

Does balance payment need to be made on credit card or can we use international debit cards? Can't find anything about it online 

Pretty sure it's credit card, might depend on your country/which card etc. Anyway is has to at least be Mastercard or Visa, a maestro type thing won't work.

I find it interesting that I had to pay the same postage fee than a UK person... And no choice to have it sent paying or just box office and maybe without the fee. Anyway, all done and paid 😄

1 hour ago, moogster said:

Pretty sure it's credit card, might depend on your country/which card etc. Anyway is has to at least be Mastercard or Visa, a maestro type thing won't work.

I find it interesting that I had to pay the same postage fee than a UK person... And no choice to have it sent paying or just box office and maybe without the fee. Anyway, all done and paid 😄

We're trying for resale. One of our group of 4 is in Australia, and the rest are in the UK. If I give him my debit card details to pay (if he gets through), would there be any issues with that, to your knowledge?