Shoulda, coulda, woulda... headliners

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

11 hours ago, maelzoid said:

1. The idea that others have said worse in no way excuses what Eminem has said.  I'd level the same criticism at any of them. I hardly think that puts ME on shaky ground tbh. And whether it's in the past or not? I didn't like it when it came out.

2. I guess what I don't like is not only has he made a career on homophobia and misogyny (not exclusively), but his weaselly way of justifying it - it's only a joke, I'm in character, where I come from 'faggot' doesn't mean gay, it means lame or loser! Not a guy I'd have a beer with.

I meant it put you on shaky ground. You’d have to have a passionate dislike for everyone who’s behaved in that manor which includes some of the people I have listed who’ve already played Glastonbury. Do you wish they all had not played? Where do you draw the line? A blanket ban on Hip Hop? Let’s not pretend he’s the only one. I think you should be able to separate the art from the artist personally.

10 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Sure, but on the basis of any "bad" words means exclusion, then Kendrick Lamar (and a lot of other rappers) would never headline. He says the n-word a lot, but kind of fits into the "where I'm from, it means something different". For the record, I dislike it when rappers use the n-word in their records (as well as homophobia) and the general casual use of it anyway, but I'm not a fan of language policing either. No one seemed to care when Run the Jewels were on stage pejoratively using the word "white" in their lyrics.

People can be very hypocritical when it comes to Hip Hop music. Can dig up questionable lyrics from just about any MC if you look into it. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

People can be very hypocritical when it comes to Hip Hop music. Can dig up questionable lyrics from just about any MC if you look into it. 

Will Smith... go!

Just playing. But yeah, there’s no chance they’d refuse to book Eminem because of his lyrics. If he ever wanted to play and reached out, they would put him in the basket and head straight to the checkout.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Men In Black - Anti-alien hate propaganda

Wild Wild West - Enforces unrealistic stereotypes of Western America

Boom Shake The Room - Bomb imagery

Will 2K - Not very good

"Any damsel that's in distress, going to be out of that dress, when she meets Jim West"

Suggests taking advantage of vulnerable women.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Yeah, exactly. Aside from actual threats, ie "kill whites/blacks/the tories/jews", it's nothing but empty virtue-signalling.

Eminem is widely-regarded by many people in his industry as being an exceptional rapper, and the festival would be lucky to have him headline.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Pretty sure New Order did.

Yeah, I've been trying to find a definitive answer on this. According to NME and Somerset Live, they didn't headline... Wiki just says NO were "included on the lineup"... and the Glasto official website doesn't give an answer either, altho on the poster NO are second tier, which would be weird if they did headline.

1. 1987

The first of consecutive headline sets for both Elvis Costello and Van Morrison. Fatboy Slim was probably devastated by this.

We also saw The Communards take a headline slot while New Order returned to the festival.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

I'm not saying I'd ban Eminem, I'm saying I find his lyrics and by extension the man repellant, and I guess that's why the Eavii have not called him up.

But in terms of rappers using degrading language, when a black rapper uses N***** it is at least self identifying and directed to his/her own community / peer group

When a straight rapper uses fag or gay as a slur, it is bullying hate speech.

I totally get the idea that we can enjoy the art while still hating the artist, and I do this too. I still listen to Guns N Roses, and we all know that Axl has said as worse as Eminem on record (and for the record I think lyrics notwithstanding, One in a Million is a cool song). Maybe that's why GNR have not been called to play as well. And for the record I wouldn't have a beer with Axl either. But I probably would with Slash and Duff. Guess I'm the worst hypocrite of all.

6 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Do you think Amy Winehouse would have done it if she'd carried on a similar trajectory ?

Yes. Almost certainly. And probably before Adele.

I was never a fan, but the doc about her (Amy) was superb and she had genuine artistry and talent. Could have been huge.

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yeah, I've been trying to find a definitive answer on this. According to NME and Somerset Live, they didn't headline... Wiki just says NO were "included on the lineup"... and the Glasto official website doesn't give an answer either, altho on the poster NO are second tier, which would be weird if they did headline.

That info is on Wikipedia (I edited most of the 80’s/90’s line-ups on Wiki a while back after realising how inaccurate a lot of it was).

New Order headlined the Friday night. Van subbed Taj Mahal on the Sunday. 

64CC2B88-E516-4312-99E9-2B5D5E75B81B.jpeg

3 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I'm not saying I'd ban Eminem, I'm saying I find his lyrics and by extension the man repellant, and I guess that's why the Eavii have not called him up.

But in terms of rappers using degrading language, when a black rapper uses N***** it is at least self identifying and directed to his/her own community / peer group

When a straight rapper uses fag or gay as a slur, it is bullying hate speech.

I totally get the idea that we can enjoy the art while still hating the artist, and I do this too. I still listen to Guns N Roses, and we all know that Axl has said as worse as Eminem on record (and for the record I think lyrics notwithstanding, One in a Million is a cool song). Maybe that's why GNR have not been called to play as well. And for the record I wouldn't have a beer with Axl either. But I probably would with Slash and Duff. Guess I'm the worst hypocrite of all.

I’d say it was the money myself. 

It’s a touchy subject because I did grow up with Eminem and I feel like I’ve seen the whole story unfold. For that reason I can’t quite dismiss him and separate the artist from the music.

I don’t think he’s homophobic to be honest.... anymore....

He’s an expensive act to book and he never really liked touring anyway so Glastonbury was probably never on the radar. I don’t think that will change anytime soon.