Sziget 2020

jj200

43 minutes ago, opel said:

They pulled decent crowds their last tour and always were Sziget favorites. It'd be better than "trendy" The 1975 last year.

They're on the second line of the Mad Cool poster, underneath Twenty One Pilots so can't see them headlining mainstage at Sziget tbh. They would make a great sub for someone as the sun sets though. 

Edited by swelsbyuk

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Placebo are one of my all time fave bands, first saw them at Glastonbury way back in the 90s.

They have fallen of the radar somewhat though, wasted position subbing for me, would make an ideal a38 headliner clashing with a pop headliner. 😃

I saw them headline the second stage at Latitude a couple of years ago and they brought it. Just thought they were one of those acts that was too big to headline A38 and not big enough to headline the main stage. Would love to see them in the A38.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

I saw them headline the second stage at Latitude a couple of years ago and they brought it. Just thought they were one of those acts that was too big to headline A38 and not big enough to headline the main stage. Would love to see them in the A38.

Well they are popular band for sziget, so hopefully this year they will play one way or another.

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Well they are popular band for sziget, so hopefully this year they will play one way or another.

I love Placebo since around 2002 and I'd be more than happy to see them at Sziget again this year, even though I'll catch them at Mad Cool.

Last time they played after Imagine Dragons at Sziget and the crowd was like half of Imagine Dragon's crowd, but they are still too big for A38. Since they were silent in the last few years, maybe they'd draw much more attention than last time, but the main problem with them playing at Sziget is that they are touring in Europe in the beginning of July and I don't see too much possibility for them to be in Europe in mid-August. 

1 hour ago, CCester said:

I love Placebo since around 2002 and I'd be more than happy to see them at Sziget again this year, even though I'll catch them at Mad Cool.

Last time they played after Imagine Dragons at Sziget and the crowd was like half of Imagine Dragon's crowd, but they are still too big for A38. Since they were silent in the last few years, maybe they'd draw much more attention than last time, but the main problem with them playing at Sziget is that they are touring in Europe in the beginning of July and I don't see too much possibility for them to be in Europe in mid-August. 

Why not? They are based in Europe.

They do not really do the festival scene in America, always tour the late European festival scene more often than not.

Edited by thetime

10 minutes ago, thetime said:

Why not? They are based in Europe.

They do not really do the festival scene in America, always tour the late European festival scene more often than not.

Yeah, you are right, but they are pretty popular in America and they haven't played there for years. Anyway, it just my thought, we'll definetely see :D

On 1/9/2020 at 11:36 AM, So Sad Simon said:

I will ask about the EDM and other headliner acts and see if he can share with me these names.

I receive good news and bad news for you all I think.

Confirmed is Travis Scott and Gavin Harris as two headliners with Liam, R.H.C.P and Selena. I question again about her inclusion but told he is being serious so I don't know.

My friend he says no Bon Iver and no Placebo "at the moment". He says that if other big headline name sign then announcement planned to be 23 January but they may hold two headliners back for later date.

There are three other possible name for last headline spot but he knows of none of these as they have not been shared.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, So Sad Simon said:

Confirmed is Travis Scott and Gavin Harris as two headliners with Liam, R.H.C.P and Selena. I question again about her inclusion but told he is being serious so I don't know.

My friend he says no Bon Iver and no Placebo "at the moment". He says that if other big headline name sign then announcement planned to be 23 January but they may hold two headliners back for later date.

There are three other possible name for last headline spot but he knows of none of these as they have not been shared.

If so, there we have something like:

2018 | 2020: 

Arctic Monkeys | RHCP 

Dua Lipa | Selena Gomez

Kendrick Lamar | Travis Scott

Kygo | Calvin Harris

Gorillaz | Liam Gallagher 

Mumford & Sons| tba

Shawn Mendes | tba

23 minutes ago, So Sad Simon said:

I appreciate the intel. Probably Bon Iver is held back as a back-up headliner in case things do not work out as planned - as The National were last year.

Over all, headliner-only wise, this is the weakest set I've heard of since 2013 (2017 left apart), with only Frusciante holding a sensation appeal. Unless the big headliner (Eminem's meme incoming) and the major undercards are really huge this year is an easy overlook

49 minutes ago, So Sad Simon said:

Thank you for sharing! For now headliners are looking good for me.
Wondering who could be the "big name". The Weeknd? Kings of Leon? Someone with no dates yet / exclusive?

33 minutes ago, DDave said:

Whose this Gavin Harris fella?

Apology, I did mean Calvin Harris.

39 minutes ago, Samoc said:

Do we think Sam Fender will make an appearance?

Could Coldplay be in there as well?

Yes Sam Fender will be there I understand. I don't know who he is. No to Coldplay although they were asked and they say no for 2020.

Edited by So Sad Simon

1 hour ago, activean said:

If so, there we have something like:

2018 | 2020: 

Arctic Monkeys | RHCP 

Dua Lipa | Selena Gomez

Kendrick Lamar | Travis Scott

Kygo | Calvin Harris

Gorillaz | Liam Gallagher 

Mumford & Sons| tba

Shawn Mendes | tba

Shawn Mendes actually co-headlined with Kygo. Lana del Rey was also a headliner in 2018!

1 hour ago, Altercreed said:

too bad, I was hoping for Armin Van Buuren in the electro-EDM spot 😕  well, Calvin it is then ^^

in the past there were two main stage EDM headliners/closers, i wouldn't count it out for this year considering the lack of big acts in august. 

8 minutes ago, Newjem said:

I got bored again yesterday so I put together this prediction of the second stage.

sziget20-a38.thumb.png.ce43a9c18c249f05b9ad0b198acb9471.png

Cool and reasonable.

Few adjustments:

- The Kooks, The Hives, Daughter, Kaiser Chiefs, Sam Fender, The Tallest Man on Earth and maybe Denzel Curry are all Main Stage material, despite being most of the in the A38 headliner spot;

- As I Lay Dying at Sziget seems a little bit too hardcore (inb4: last year there were Of Mice and Men, I remember).

- Hard to imagine Diplo playing without Major Lazer involved

Over all the most of it is credible and Sziget could take some note, because I hardly believe they would provide something more A38 than this one is

29 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Cool and reasonable.

Few adjustments:

- The Kooks, The Hives, Daughter, Kaiser Chiefs, Sam Fender, The Tallest Man on Earth and maybe Denzel Curry are all Main Stage material, despite being most of the in the A38 headliner spot;

- As I Lay Dying at Sziget seems a little bit too hardcore (inb4: last year there were Of Mice and Men, I remember).

- Hard to imagine Diplo playing without Major Lazer involved

Over all the most of it is credible and Sziget could take some note, because I hardly believe they would provide something more A38 than this one is

- Of course some bands can play at main stage as well. Not sure about Sam Fender... yeah, he's really popular in the UK but I don't think many people know him in the rest of Europe. The Tallest Man on Earth and Denzel Curry would be better in late A38 spot than afternoon Main Stage but that's only my opinion.

- Of Mice and Men were my inspiration (but not the only heavy band that played recently - I remember BFMV in 2016). I picked one random heavy band which is around.

29 minutes ago, thetime said:

Not a chance for those A38, Sziget usually give us something more intriguing and fresh than kaisers/kooks/mgmt.

Not all A38 headliners are fresh and intriguing. There's usually a few outdated bands like Razorlight, Broken Social Scene, Asaf Avidan or Interpol in recent years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, So Sad Simon said:

Apology, I did mean Calvin Harris.

Yes Sam Fender will be there I understand. I don't know who he is. No to Coldplay although they were asked and they say no for 2020.

Indeed, Coldplay announced they will not be touring in 2020 due to "ecological reasons".. I guess we'll see them in 2021 !

About last year, yep, Of Mice and Men was one the "hardest act" musically speaking :) I also really enjoyed Coheed & Cambria, so I hope this year will bring us some good rock-metal bands ! I would love some Rise Against or Placebo :) Also, As I Lay Dying is doing "Metal Days" end of July in Slovenia, so thats a possibility 🥰

20 hours ago, Newjem said:

Not all A38 headliners are fresh and intriguing. There's usually a few outdated bands like Razorlight, Broken Social Scene, Asaf Avidan or Interpol in recent years.

Watch your tongue haha

I think any act is better at night in a tent than main stage (even at night unless they have a stadium sound really) but Kooks etc are definitely main stage material. Probably would say Tones and I could be too - Dance Monkey has been huge in the UK and i'm pretty sure across most of Europe too. Would definitely have a sizeable crowd

• Upvote 1