Football 19/20

thetime

22 minutes ago, pryce said:

not confident about leeds this season (never am) last season reminded me of how much football can hurt!

only signed costa, decent buy but, we still have an injury prone Roofe and Bamford with no good backups

sold Jansson and have no replacement as well

and with the end of season relegation form last year I think a lower mid table finish is on the cards with a Bielsa walk out.

I think we (West Brom) are three players away from challenging for automatic. We've made some decent signings - Romain Sawyers at £3m and Semi Ajayi for £1.5m both look like absolute steals! We've also brought in a young Croatian midfielder who looks exciting. Just need a winger, a defender who can cover CB/RB and most importantly a goalscorer (getting Dwight Gayle back would be brilliant) and I think we're set.

I'm optimistic for a top six finish again, get the final few players and I think we'll go better.

Cannot wait for the EFL to start tonight. 

I'm gutted to have lost Jamal Lowe - he provided the best two Pompey moments since the Prem days. Having said that, six weeks ago I'd have bit your hand off to get Harness and Marquis for roughly the same money. I genuinely think the squad is better than last years, when we amassed 88 points and still didn't go up!  It's a ludicrously competitive league - Ipswich, Rotherham, Sunderland, Peterborough will all be up there, but I think we have a great shot at going up this season.

59 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Cannot wait for the EFL to start tonight. 

I'm gutted to have lost Jamal Lowe - he provided the best two Pompey moments since the Prem days. Having said that, six weeks ago I'd have bit your hand off to get Harness and Marquis for roughly the same money. I genuinely think the squad is better than last years, when we amassed 88 points and still didn't go up!  It's a ludicrously competitive league - Ipswich, Rotherham, Sunderland, Peterborough will all be up there, but I think we have a great shot at going up this season.

I've got Pompey to finish first in my big season acca, so come on boys! Marquis is a proven goalscorer in that league and could be the man to spearhead you back to the Championship, I reckon!

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

£85 million for Maguire.

Christ.

Slightly better than whats there I suppose. 

Slightly better? Ok then.

Good signing and exactly what united needed. Liking the signings so far this season, hopefully get that bruno fella in by deadline day.

Edited by thetime

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

Moyes wanted him at united years ago, was scoffed at.

I said on here when he signed for Leicester that in a few years a 'top club' would be paying more than double for him. What does United's back line look like for the opening game against Chelsea? AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw? Or too soon for a debut? I fancy our chances against that backline.

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

I said on here when he signed for Leicester that in a few years a 'top club' would be paying more than double for him. What does United's back line look like for the opening game against Chelsea? AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw? Or too soon for a debut? I fancy our chances against that backline.

Just make sure you go down Shaws side, nothing getting past Bissaka. Been very impressed with him pre season.

Liking how united are actually signing players to improve positions, rather than fanciful players. Although they are still trying to do that with Dyabla, that wont happen though.

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

Just make sure you go down Shaws side, nothing getting past Bissaka. Been very impressed with him pre season.

Will be a good contest seeing him up against our new lad Pulisic who has also looked sharp. There's goals in that game for sure.

7 minutes ago, thetime said:

Liking how united are actually signing players to improve positions, rather than fanciful players. Although they are still trying to do that with Dyabla, that wont happen though.

To be fair, it looks like Dybala will only be signed if Lukaku leaves so he would be needed. 

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Maguire is a good signing for United. The race for top 4 should be interesting though. I fancy Arsenal to get 4th. United midfield is woeful and with the loss of Hazard, Chelsea do not have that X factor.

Arsenal have goals in them.

Arsenal's back line is the worst by far.

Not expecting as much from Spurs this year either. No back up to Harry Kane, sold Trippier, Alderweireld potentially off to Roma and who even knows what's going on with Rose?! I think it could be an inconsistent year for them. Certainly no guarantee of CL football let alone 3rd place that everyone has them nailed on for...

9 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Not expecting as much from Spurs this year either. No back up to Harry Kane, sold Trippier, Alderweireld potentially off to Roma and who even knows what's going on with Rose?! I think it could be an inconsistent year for them. Certainly no guarantee of CL football let alone 3rd place that everyone has them nailed on for...

Alderweireld isn’t going anywhere now his release clause has expired. Spurs are also looking to add a couple more players too. 

Can’t see anyone below third catching them.