Idles

fuzzy_logic

• 5 weeks later...
10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Not to kick the ball away but I think their new cover of Damaged Goods is very good. Turns out there's a tribute album to Andy Gill out today!

Yeah I thought this was a belter, also just reminded me How disappointed I was with Ultra Mono. Hopefully they’re back with album 4

• 2 weeks later...

That's really good.

Between that and the Gang of Four cover, it's clear that they can still be proficient at the post-punk stuff but shoehorning overt social commentary and pop culture references in at every opportunity is bringing them down.

I know it's kinda their thing but I would be really interested to see if they can bring the ruckus musically and also be less on-the-nose with the next album.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That's really good.

Between that and the Gang of Four cover, it's clear that they can still be proficient at the post-punk stuff but shoehorning overt social commentary and pop culture references in at every opportunity is bringing them down.

I know it's kinda their thing but I would be really interested to see if they can bring the ruckus musically and also be less on-the-nose with the next album.

Yeah UM kinda stinks of an album where the band were riding off charm they'd imagined in their head. I dunno what they used to get from the EPs to Brutalism but they could do with digging deep and and doing it again.

That said they're bigger now than ever, maybe I'm not the well of musical wisdom I think I am.

(I am)

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That's really good.

Too slow for me. Call my tastes simplistic, but I want music to dance to. 

14 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Yeah UM kinda stinks of an album where the band were riding off charm they'd imagined in their head. I dunno what they used to get from the EPs to Brutalism but they could do with digging deep and and doing it again.

That said they're bigger now than ever, maybe I'm not the well of musical wisdom I think I am.

(I am)

I must the only one who like UM as much as their early stuff.

Realistically they were always going to get stick as they got bigger so whatever they did was unlikely to go without criticism.

The ‘I preferred the early stuff’ line has been used many many times before Idles came along and will be used for a long time after them.

As you say, the venues are getting bigger and bigger so they’re doing something right.

15 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I must the only one who like UM as much as their early stuff.

Realistically they were always going to get stick as they got bigger so whatever they did was unlikely to go without criticism.

The ‘I preferred the early stuff’ line has been used many many times before Idles came along and will be used for a long time after them.

As you say, the venues are getting bigger and bigger so they’re doing something right.

Sometimes tropes exist coz they're true, I hate getting called out on losing interest in a band because I'm supposedly trying to convey some hipster image. My manbun and craft ale fascination does that for me*.

Not supposed to be a dig at you, just a general frustration, it's a much loved, highly rated album and they're still a top band.

*Obviously a joke, I would never be as gauche as to have an actual hairstyle

12 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Sometimes tropes exist coz they're true, I hate getting called out on losing interest in a band because I'm supposedly trying to convey some hipster image. My manbun and craft ale fascination does that for me*.

Not supposed to be a dig at you, just a general frustration, it's a much loved, highly rated album and they're still a top band.

*Obviously a joke, I would never be as gauche as to have an actual hairstyle

I’m totally bald so I can’t use my hairstyle and I’ll drink any old lager , craft or not, so I’m afraid I’ll have to join the ‘I prefer the early stuff’ gang if I’m going to try to establish any kind of hipster image. Haha.

Can I start on another band though cos I like UM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rivalschools.price said:

I’m totally bald so I can’t use my hairstyle and I’ll drink any old lager , craft or not, so I’m afraid I’ll have to join the ‘I prefer the early stuff’ gang if I’m going to try to establish any kind of hipster image. Haha.

Can I start on another band though cos I like UM.

In the scheme of things, I like to think UM will be thought of as IDLES early stuff eventually.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I mean I've barely listened to it compared to how much I hammered Brutalism and Joy, but not so much because I think it's a bad album, more that there isn't much on there that they haven't already done better elsewhere.

One thing UM did was hammer home how impressive Joy was for me, they were right on the line with their optimism and positivity without looking silly or cringey, it's an album not many bands could pull off. It's a really appropriately named album as well and should be regarded as a classic for me, even if my tastes veer slightly more to Brutalism. 

Ultra Mono is an absolute banger instrumentally for me but the lyrics are just so outrageously cringey I can’t stomach it. That one with Jehnny Beth is particularly bad.

I hope they tone it down a bit for the next album as I absolutely love Brutalism and Joy, two of the best British albums in years.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Bristol-based IDLES efesters, I can no longer make it so I have a spare ticket for the Don't Go Gentle documentary + Q&A tonight at Cinema de Lux. Starts at 7:15pm. Free to a good home, or a bad one. I can email the ticket to anyone who wants it

Generous! Would have been too much of a trip fr me even if I'd seen this in time. Upvote given! 

• 4 weeks later...