Christine and the Queens

H.M.V

I don't think I've ever listened to her other than that Tilted song but she'd be a good booking as a Pyramid sub imo. It's clear from this thread that she's got the live chops to win the crowd over. And like dental said it really doesn't seem like she's someone who appeals to the youth rather than the oldies, so I'm not sure Other headliner against Macca/The Cure is the best idea. Subbing The Cure is probably not a great shout as I think it'd be a pretty empty Pyramid field for the evening. Subbing Macca would be perfect; guaranteed to be a huge crowd there and seems like she's someone who'd nail it even if the crowd don't know her beforehand, like Tame Impala in 2016.

Only if they don't have Childish Gambino, tho.

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

On a personal level ye, but I get the impression this lot would pull it off better. I'm gonna go listen to the album so I have some idea who I'm even talking about.

Probably yeah. Nevertheless, I am thinking Christine and the Queens before Bon Iver and Paul McCartney at the moment. I know she's playing the same slot as Bon Iver and Chems at APE but I think she's still that bit smaller and could take a lower slot at Glastonbury than either of those.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Probably yeah. Nevertheless, I am thinking Christine and the Queens before Bon Iver and Paul McCartney at the moment. I know she's playing the same slot as Bon Iver and Chems at APE but I think she's still that bit smaller and could take a lower slot at Glastonbury than either of those.

Yeah I agree on her being smaller but I'm not sure I see Bon Iver turning up. The fact they're headlining Mad Cool is worrying me a little in terms of them accepting non-headliner slots. Is it just Coachella they've done as non-headliners since the last album?

10 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

On a personal level ye, but I get the impression this lot would pull it off better. I'm gonna go listen to the album so I have some idea who I'm even talking about.

Check out her performances on Jools which will give a better idea of her theatre. 

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah I agree on her being smaller but I'm not sure I see Bon Iver turning up. The fact they're headlining Mad Cool is worrying me a little in terms of them accepting non-headliner slots. Is it just Coachella they've done as non-headliners since the last album?

Hasn't Justin Vernon popped up as a special guest in two of the last three years? Given he's been willing to do that and is aware of the size and cultural significance of the festival I'd say he's probably ok with Pyramid sub or Other headline.

It's just a case of whether the festival has actively sought them out as a booking, can easily imagine them having plenty of other options for those slots. Could end up like Bonobo where they are free but for whatever reason don't get booked.

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Outside Lands, Bonnaroo... I don't think they'll even be headlining Mad Cool, to be honest but subs can often get 1h15 anyway so I'm sure that'd be enough at a festival he knows and loves.

22 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

First album is better than the new one so I would start with that. I reckon she's pretty good, wasn't really expecting to like her. Doesn't look like she does enough singing live from what I've seen on youtube but would prob be fun if I was actually there.

Christine and the Queens would pull off subbing Macca more than Bon Iver, and Bon Iver are in my top 5 favourite acts.

My parents went to the show in Birmingham and said they were far from the oldest there, so yeah I don't think she strictly appeals to a younger audience. Christine and the Queens before Macca would be a moment.

On 12/4/2018 at 3:47 PM, Odessa said:

First album is better than the new one so I would start with that. I reckon she's pretty good, wasn't really expecting to like her. Doesn't look like she does enough singing live from what I've seen on youtube but would prob be fun if I was actually there.

I much prefer the second album, personally. She sings about 95% of the time. It'a only the points where she is essentially dueting with herself where she doesn't sing. For example, on Comme Si, she'll have the "Comme si" bit as recorded, and sing "When you play me loudly"... She certsinly doesn't compromise the music for the dance

She was brilliant on the Other in 2016 - it made us all forget that nightmare Skepta/Christine clash.

Definitely coming for a Pyramid slot this year.   As has been pointed out, she's the sort of act that can win people over very easily even if they don't know her stuff which is essential for getting a good reaction from the Pyramid Tourists.