The best trolley

Tomothy123

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

40 top up pints is upwards of £200. Thats almost the ticket price vs spending £40 on 10 crates at the supermarket. Its a pretty big difference - and the fact you can bring that much in and drink it everywhere is something to take advantage of given you can do it at very few other festivals 

it also saves quite a bit of time walking back and forwards to bars and waiting at them 

I feel I am picking a scab here but people who get a chuffdy on because they didn't leave the tent behind are missing some key elements if they took 80 cans in and went home without them.

I can hand on heart say that the only thing I leave behind is a few brain cells and bodily fluids. That is as little trace as is realistically possible.

Edited by Jay Pee

3 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I feel I am picking a scab here but people who get a chuffdy on because they didn't leave the tent behind are missing some key elements if they took 80 cans in and went home without them.

its an interesting balance though ... those same people might not be flying abroad and the cans might offset this .... I do understand what you say though ... If I remember rightly there was an article which said that Glastonbury was carbon neutral or words  to that effect 

5 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I can hand on heart say that the only thing I leave behind is a few brain cells and bodily fluids. That is as little trace as is realistically possible.

If glasto aggreed with you they wouldnt let us take em in. I get your angle of leave no trace, but cans are endlessly recyclable. 

Its a very privileged position to be in to be happy to spend the 500 quid for the week when the alternative is bring your own for cheaper. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

its an interesting balance though ... those same people might not be flying abroad and the cans might offset this .... I do understand what you say though ... If I remember rightly there was an article which said that Glastonbury was carbon neutral or words  to that effect 

Yep, it's very complex. If carbon off setting is involved in the equation then I would challenge the neutrality claim.

Carbon off-setting is the biggest smoke and mirrors of our generation

1 minute ago, Jacksamthompson said:

If glasto aggreed with you they wouldnt let us take em in. I get your angle of leave no trace, but cans are endlessly recyclable. 

Its a very privileged position to be in to be happy to spend the 500 quid for the week when the alternative is bring your own for cheaper. 

It possibly is privileged but that is quite a relative term. I think it's something worth saving for and making an effort to reduce carbon.

Go on the train, take what you can comfortably carry and spend on the farm.  Happy to go without some utter shite TV subscription service each month for that.

10 hours ago, Big durbs said:

My Mrs brought a fluffy rug for her side of the bed in 2019 , I only found out on the Friday morning when I was sorting her charger pack out , little luxuries I guess, two trips in from the car ! 

But as they say , what you bring you take back ( with a huge smile glued to your face ) .

leave no trace except a patch of flattened grass and dancing footprints 

Haha thats something my missus would bring. But we fly over every year so are limited in what we can bring anyway. Cant carry it, it doesnt come with us.

Always baffled by people spending most of Wednesday on "trip #3 back to the car". How much do you need for 100 hours?

13 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Kind of my feeling - cant believe what some people bring in - its a festival; you're not moving house ffs.

Every year, thousands of people like this. 

5616.jpg?width=1010&quality=45&auto=form

13 hours ago, Phil Carter MD said:

Can never bring in too much drink nally.

They have bars on site! Bars that sell booze.

16 minutes ago, gfa said:

40 top up pints is upwards of £200. That's almost the ticket price vs spending £40 on 10 crates at the supermarket. Its a pretty big difference - and the fact you can bring that much in and drink it everywhere is something to take advantage of given you can do it at very few other festivals 

Absolutely. Hard agree.

7 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

More than happy to spend that. It's a week for me and spends is between 400 and 500 for week. Save a bit each month into a festival fund.

I want to drink the farm ciders and the local ale's.

How about a trade off then? Will you take every can you finish home with you?

I'm not trying to cause a row but how far does leave no trace go? Leaving your empties at Worthy Farm is massively leaving a trace. The refuse centre is mind boggling

Reduce, reuse, recycle is the hierarchy.. recycle is the last resort

It's all well and good saying "the festival is my holiday so I'm happy to spend £500 on booze and food," but not everyone can afford that. c£600 on 2 tickets means Mrs B and I have already stretched ourselves, despite having reasonably well-paid professional type jobs (the come back may be about other lifestyle choices etc, but you don't know personal circumstances of anyone). I buy some at the bar, but I also like to have my own supply, and I'm not a spirit drinker. I like to stay topped up on session lagers all day, with a few tasty ones at various points. Last festival I must have bought at least 4-5 drinks at a bar each day/night, as well as consuming 8-10 of my own supply.

There's also the sheer amount of time I'd spend at the bar if I bought all my beers on site. It'd be massive. 

6 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

You are of course right that there's an ecological footprint in leaving behind 40 empty aluminium cans, but it is an easily recyclable material, I am sorting it for the recycling crews when disposing of it, and there is an onsite set up to process this. It's a far lesser evil than leaving a tent behind. There's also the fact lots of people would drink cans at home if they weren't at the farm (although obviously far fewer...).

Buying drinks at the bars also has an ecological footprint in terms of paper cups, unless you use one of the steel pint glasses - which I appreciate you probably do. 

Anyway, I admire how committed you are to being eco-friendly and do aspire to be better, but I don't think knocking people who are making an effort to be green is a helpful way to promote it. You're choosing stick over carrot. As a teacher, I know I'll get a far better response from students by highlighting positive actions and suggesting further improvement rather than criticising negative actions and demanding they cease.

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I remembered this so looked it up: https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/blog/glastonbury-carbon-footprint
Key point is this: " if they weren’t there, attendees would produce 27,397 tonnes of CO2"

That's compared to the net negative carbon neutral footprint of the festival, which is -1,278 tonnes.
Granted this is achieved through planting trees to offset emissions, however, that only saves 800 tonnes of carbon so even without the offsetting the festival would mean attendees produce 25,319 fewer tonnes of CO2 than they would at home.  

3 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Spent so long writing my post someone else beat me to the same point. And did it far more concisely.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

The spirits decanted into plastic bottles aren't, though.

What happens to the glass bottles, metal lids, plastic seals of spirit bottles? Just recycled at home rather than at the festival. So really we're arguing about where something is recycled, not whether it is recycled.  

• Like 1

I understand I am in the minority as more people seemingly are of the take more just in case mindset. 

And yes, carrot is preferable to stick most certainly. 

That was not my intention but I do stand by the irony of folk posting on here every year the pictures of their clean tidy camp site on Monday morning with the trolley out of site a good third emptier than it was on the way in.

Remember the great (not so great) chair and Welly mound of 2016 by the pyramid stage? Anyways, got work to do.

Solid tyres > inner tube 😊

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Genuinely curious.

What do people bring with them that requires 2 or 3 trips back to the car for a few trolleys full?

Tent, some clothes, sleeping stuff, toiletries, few cans or whatever.......

What am I missing?

For the first time ever none of us had to go back to the car at Leeds last year. Tent, sleeping bag, mat, chair, clothes etc shoved in a rucksack, swapped most of my ale for spirits crucially, one case at the bottom of the sack truck with the spirits in the bag. Would've been a breeze of a walk into the site if the sack truck didn't have an unfixable puncture.

39 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Genuinely curious.

What do people bring with them that requires 2 or 3 trips back to the car for a few trolleys full?

Tent, some clothes, sleeping stuff, toiletries, few cans or whatever.......

What am I missing?

I'm an advocate of bring more just in case, then take it home again, but have never done more than 1 trip. I near killed myself on Wednesday 2019 but I did it in one. 

Actually, I'm lying, 2017 I did go back to the car once to get some beer I'd left behind at first, but this was only because we were in WV so it was a 10 minute job. If we'd been in on-site camping I'd have just humped it in first time round. 

I bring a fair bit of food and a camping stove to do morning coffee/tea/porridge. I can't afford to buy 3 meals a day so try to make sure breakfast comes in with us. 

Other than that I just bring what you mentioned, but the clothes are bulked out a bit by fancy dress. 2019 I had a hollowed out Henry Hoover I wore as a helmet / disguise because I was pulling a sickie. 

2 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

More than happy to spend that. It's a week for me and spends is between 400 and 500 for week. Save a bit each month into a festival fund.

I'm not trying to cause a row but how far does leave no trace go? Leaving your empties at Worthy Farm is massively leaving a trace. The refuse centre is mind boggling

I usually bring a mix of spirits and cans - very happy to have a few pints over the weekend but doing strictly pints is firmly outside the student budget. I guess what I would say about taking everything home is that the cans go quick, spirits slower and i end up taking some spirit home in the bottle to be used at a later date. I'm on the coach so we'll be loading up the GA people's car with heaps of cans/extra spirits and end up going to collect them at some point during the weekend to restock.

EDIT: just to add - thank you! people spending money on pints is what prevents the festival from enforcing can limits/increasing prices and I think we are all grateful for people who do this + support local vendors/charities in the process

54 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

For the first time ever none of us had to go back to the car at Leeds last year. Tent, sleeping bag, mat, chair, clothes etc shoved in a rucksack, swapped most of my ale for spirits crucially, one case at the bottom of the sack truck with the spirits in the bag. Would've been a breeze of a walk into the site if the sack truck didn't have an unfixable puncture.

Both times i've done Reading I've done a singular trip, I actually walked there this year from my student house (was horrible, carried all my stuff and 3 other people's camping chairs - would not recommend!). Good thing with Reading is its incredibly easy to just go into town and restock + the co-op isn't too extortionate on site I think it was £20 for 18 carlsbergs maybe which saved us on Sunday afternoon

Edited by gfa

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

Both times i've done Reading I've done a singular trip, I actually walked there this year from my student house (was horrible, carried all my stuff and 3 other people's camping chairs - would not recommend!). Good thing with Reading is its incredibly easy to just go into town and restock + the co-op isn't too extortionate on site I think it was £20 for 18 carlsbergs maybe which saved us on Sunday afternoon

Camping chairs are awkward to carry anyway never mind three. Last year was my easiest trip to Leeds ever, 40 minutes door to tent, wristband exchange took longer than the drive! I hear good things about the coop every year but the one at Leeds this year had a 30 minute queue every time we walked past, which would be fine if we weren't staying in the campervan field 20 minute walk from the arena! Worst thing was the arena running out of wine by 3pm on day one

3 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

What do you do with the cups from the 40 pints you've paid for on the farm...?

33 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Camping chairs are awkward to carry anyway never mind three. Last year was my easiest trip to Leeds ever, 40 minutes door to tent, wristband exchange took longer than the drive! I hear good things about the coop every year but the one at Leeds this year had a 30 minute queue every time we walked past, which would be fine if we weren't staying in the campervan field 20 minute walk from the arena! Worst thing was the arena running out of wine by 3pm on day one

Yeah you either have to go very early (pre 9am) or after 6pm but before around 11pm. The co-op also had wine but ran out very quick, it was in hipflask shaped bottles for some reason so heaps of it got smuggled into the arena which was a bit of an oversight from them.

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

What do you do with the cups from the 40 pints you've paid for on the farm...?

I have the metal cup. The same one from 2016. Not virtue signalling but there's more to leave no trace than taking the tent home.

Just now, Jay Pee said:

I have the metal cup. The same one from 2016. Not virtue signalling but there's more to leave no trace than taking the tent home.

Beer production has a significant environmental impact and there's a huge carbon footprint associated with taking it to site in the trucks. You could reduce that even further by reducing the amount you drink and sticking to one decanted bottle of home made spirit....

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

Beer production has a significant environmental impact and there's a huge carbon footprint associated with taking it to site in the trucks. You could reduce that even further by reducing the amount you drink and sticking to one decanted bottle of home made spirit....

You ain't wrong on that. It's the economies of scale around all the transportation of everything. People. Beer. Food. Bands. Poo

I could reduce it all by taking a massive bag of herb but I struggle with reality after a few days of that.

It's about trying to strike a balance in life. I'm 53 now with adult children who are off ploughing their own furrow so don't have the same logistical challenges as I did 25 years ago. 

There is something very cathartic about getting the train to Temple Meads then the bus to Glastonbury town for a sesh then a lift to Pilton on Monday and a week on the farm.

The whole thing is just more environmentally sound if every individual took less shit with them as the default setting is they will leave more there.