Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

36 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Lasts nights run (intervals) went really well so think I've recovered from my blood loss now. Going to attempt to run my first 8 miler tomorrow, very much looking forward to it, furthest I've ran to date is 7 miles so will be interesting to see how I hold up.

Good luck CB. You'll smash it.

My finger is currently hovering over the left hand mouse button debating whether to click 'apply' for a 50k.

4 minutes ago, Woffy said:

My finger is currently hovering over the left hand mouse button debating whether to click 'apply' for a 50k.

Cheers, it's my first small step towards next years half marathon.

Definitely do it, if nothing else it'll be an incredible experience for damn sure!

You lot are machines with your longer distances. Fair play!

Since starting back at the gym three weeks ago I've knocked 4 mins off my 5K. Pretty happy with that all things considered. Would like to get my time down but the main focus is just to knock off some calories and the slight beer belly that's catching up with me.

I used to love running outdoors when I lived by the sea but Liverpool city centre doesn't have quite the same appeal. Maybe when the weather gets better I'll head back outside.

1 minute ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Cheers, it's my first small step towards next years half marathon.

Definitely do it, if nothing else it'll be an incredible experience for damn sure!

If you can manage 8 you'll be fine for a half!

The fact that it's an 'organised' event is the most off-putting thing. I just like running about outside!

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Since starting back at the gym three weeks ago I've knocked 4 mins off my 5K. Pretty happy with that all things considered. Would like to get my time down but the main focus is just to knock off some calories and the slight beer belly that's catching up with me.

I used to love running outdoors when I lived by the sea but Liverpool city centre doesn't have quite the same appeal. Maybe when the weather gets better I'll head back outside.

Different machines, jyoung.

The thought of running a 5k as fast as possible gives me the howling fantods.

5 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Different machines, jyoung.

The thought of running a 5k as fast as possible gives me the howling fantods.

Yeah I get you, but the crowd on the day definitely helps with motivation and you'll likely get a t-shirt and a fancy medal you can brag about!

Edited by The Clearest Blue
Ooops quoted the wrong post!

4 hours ago, Woffy said:

DO IT! I promise you, you won't regret it.

Did my first ultra back in March and can honestly say it was brilliant.

I can't really offer any advice as I did it in a way I expect most long distance runners would frown upon.

- Wore a brand new pair of trail running trainers (literally arrived two days before)
- Did one trail run in preparation
- Had never ran further than 13.1 miles
- Didn't practice any sort of nutrition strategy
- Didn't take a waterproof (thank god it didn't rain) literally had a glasto poncho in my bag in case!

Had 2 friends doing it, 1 pulled out due to cramp strain early on and I go too far in front of the other so his daughter (who had my food, clothes etc) kept waiting for him at the checkpoints which is fair enough but therefore she wasn't at any of the checkpoints for me.

But hey after all of that I lived to tell the tale :lol:

Only thing I can say though is buddy up with someone on the way around so when it gets tough he/she can drag you through the dark times and vice versa. It also is great to chat as it passes the time. You end up forming this really strong bond with someone you've just met, it's hard to explain!

Which 50km is it? 

P.S. I don't know how I came across it but this link is a nice read

http://www.runningandstuff.com/ultra-running-tips/

Edited by JoeyT
added link

14 hours ago, jyoung said:

I live in the middle of Dublin and loved running through the city during the summer but its fairly grim this time of year, thinking about joining a gym just to force myself to do anything at the moment.

19 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I can't really offer any advice as I did it in a way I expect most long distance runners would frown upon.

- Wore a brand new pair of trail running trainers (literally arrived two days before)
- Didn't take a waterproof (thank god it didn't rain) literally had a glasto poncho in my bag in case!

Had 2 friends doing it, 1 pulled out due to cramp strain early on and I go too far in front of the other so his daughter (who had my food, clothes etc) kept waiting for him at the checkpoints which is fair enough but therefore she wasn't at any of the checkpoints for me.

Only thing I can say though is buddy up with someone on the way around so when it gets tough he/she can drag you through the dark times and vice versa. It also is great to chat as it passes the time. You end up forming this really strong bond with someone you've just met, it's hard to explain!

Which 50km is it? 

LOVED that link, Joey! Loved it! Fantastic stuff; thank you. 

Fuck it. I’m gonna go for it. And enter maybe on pay day depending on Xmas funds. 

The Lulworth Cove 50k in March, btw. 

Looks ok. But then I plotted the route on plotaroute to check out the elevation: BRUTAL. 

I’m keep up my normal mileage over Xmas. And then I’ve worked out - with some help - a more intensive 12 week training programme that suits me / work / family commitments. 

Eeek! 

Edit: plus I’ve no idea you managed with such little prep! And such a decent time. Incredible! 

Edited by Woffy

23 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Which 50km is it? 

This is mental! Could've ended a lot worse. Didn't have any Twix on you? :lol:

I am definitely not that strong, break down somewhere between 20 and 30k.

@Woffy Doing a 5k all out indeed is something I often don't look forward to because you know it will hurt and you've to be at your limit quickly and maintain it. When time is a goal you'll be disappointed sometimes, not satisfied with your run. When you do 12 miles or more, just making it is often satisfying enough :P

22 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

It was wet, it was windy, it was cold, it hurt, at times it was damn right miserable, but I did my first 8 mile run in 1 hour 6 mins and f*cking loved it!

This is awesome! And a bloody amazing time! 

Well done!!!

4 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

@Woffy Doing a 5k all out indeed is something I often don't look forward to because you know it will hurt and you've to be at your limit quickly and maintain it. When time is a goal you'll be disappointed sometimes, not satisfied with your run. When you do 12 miles or more, just making it is often satisfying enough :P

Yeah. A full on 5k sounds rank! ? Gimme a few times that distance at a plod any day!!!

Forcing myself back into running, did 7 miles this morning to get to a yoga/pilates class. Works out quite well to have a stretch off straight afterwards!

1hr 6 so not the fastest, but as a natural sprinter I'm just happy to keep my attention span for that long! :lol: Plus my knee and hip didn't play up this time, so wins all round!

59 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Been laid low with a stomach bug last couple of days so not running anywhere for a while.

That sucks dude, quick recovery!