Resale Club 2019

McCor

52 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

You'd in effect be barring groups of people from the sale because they're poor, as anti-Glastonbury as you can get. 

I’m not a fan of potentially excluding anyone from any ticket sale (including reopening the registration process for resales) everyone should have the chance to buy a ticket if they want, but not all are lucky as we know.

I think paying in full would only deter the unorganised bigger groups and the chancers. I would bring back paying in full upfront like it used to be.

The ‘poor’ as you put it, if organised properly within their own group(s) wouldn’t be barred, if they ‘cherish’ Glastonbury they would know how much prep is involved in organising your group for T-day and there are ways to get organised within your own group financially too if super prepared and trust those in your group - have a card/account that the group pays into and used by all in the group to pay in full for tickets.

Agreed. It just takes a bit of forward thinking and planning to get funds in place if tickets need to be paid for in full. Or simply pay for the tickets via a credit card . That would then give you time to collect the funds before the card needs to be paid off..

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the ticketing system as it is now. It's just tough luck if you miss out. I feel like shit at the fact most of my group got tickets yet I missed out. I will have bigger disappointments in life.

I said it when as soon as I missed out on tickets. For every one of us who feels absolutely gutted, there is someone out there who has had a smile on their faces for the best part of a month because they are going to Glasto for the first time. It maybe a student who has just had to stump up a load of cash to enable them to go and study. Without the deposit scheme they might not have been able to afford to go. Who am I to begrudge them that pleasure in life just because I can afford to pay for the ticket in one hit?

None of us are out yet, remember that. We all still have options and chances to make It to the festival. I intend to be there, even if it meanss me living off beans on toast for 7 months and buying one of those ridiculously over priced hospitality tickets. There is no way my mates are going to Glastonbury without me. Not a fucking chance.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I intend to be there, even if it meanss me living off beans on toast for 7 months and buying one of those ridiculously over priced hospitality tickets. There is no way my mates are going to Glastonbury without me. Not a fucking chance.

Tell me more. I heard about these but always assumed they were only for people who already had tickets, almost like an upgrade?

4 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Tell me more. I heard about these but always assumed they were only for people who already had tickets, almost like an upgrade?

I have no idea how they work mate. Seems there are companies that manage to get hold of hospitality tickets but they will cost you the best part of 2k plus VAT.

How they get hold of them I am not too sure but there was an efester that used one of the companies a few years ago and they were legit.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

I have no idea how they work mate. Seems there are companies that manage to get hold of hospitality tickets but they will cost you the best part of 2k plus VAT.

How they get hold of them I am not too sure but there was an efester that used one of the companies a few years ago and they were legit.

Good to know not all the companies are selling fake packages then! I think I would find it had to justify the price to the girlfriend mind :lol: 

11 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Good to know not all the companies are selling fake packages then! I think I would find it had to justify the price to the girlfriend mind :lol: 

I really can't justify it, nor can I really afford it. Yet I will write the next 6 months of my life off so I have the money as a last resort.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I really can't justify it, nor can I really afford it. Yet I will write the next 6 months of my life off so I have the money as a last resort.

I would be exactly the same to be fair if not for the fact we have booked to go to Florida and the hints for an engagement ring have started getting stronger :lol:  I wouldn't even know where to begin telling her a proposal will be put on hold for a year+ whilst I save the equivalent money to attend a festival :ph34r:

3 hours ago, moheetoes said:

I’m not a fan of potentially excluding anyone from any ticket sale (including reopening the registration process for resales) everyone should have the chance to buy a ticket if they want, but not all are lucky as we know.

I think paying in full would only deter the unorganised bigger groups and the chancers. I would bring back paying in full upfront like it used to be.

The ‘poor’ as you put it, if organised properly within their own group(s) wouldn’t be barred, if they ‘cherish’ Glastonbury they would know how much prep is involved in organising your group for T-day and there are ways to get organised within your own group financially too if super prepared and trust those in your group - have a card/account that the group pays into and used by all in the group to pay in full for tickets.

But inevitably there will be a number of people where it takes them the best part if a year to save up for the festival. The vast majority of people here I imagine have a reasonable enough disposable income to be able to save £250 in a few months, or not needing to at all. But ultimately there are going to be groups who would be priced out by having to fork out that cash up front, you can't just put 'poor' in inverted commas as if this section of society doesn't exist. Saying they should take a credit card out isn't the answer when there's already a suitable system in place. 

Paying in full won't affect the chancers as they'll just pay and get a refund if necessary, and you couldn't make it non-refundable due to people having genuine reasons to miss the festival once paid, it is 9 months away after all. The chancers are likely the same people who are prepared to leave behind £100s worth of tents and camping gear, they won't be hit by removing the deposit system but some will be.

Ultimately the system we have now is fairest, it's a lottery which will favour the most determined and well organised. If anything I would change the time tickets go on sale to 6am, that will deter anyone who isn't really that fussed at all.

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

I would be exactly the same to be fair if not for the fact we have booked to go to Florida and the hints for an engagement ring have started getting stronger :lol:  I wouldn't even know where to begin telling her a proposal will be put on hold for a year+ whilst I save the equivalent money to attend a festival :ph34r:

Mate take her to Glasto, get down one one knee, put a Hoola Hoop round her finger and ask her to marry you, right under the tree in the middle of the pyramid field.

24 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

But inevitably there will be a number of people where it takes them the best part if a year to save up for the festival. The vast majority of people here I imagine have a reasonable enough disposable income to be able to save £250 in a few months, or not needing to at all. But ultimately there are going to be groups who would be priced out by having to fork out that cash up front, you can't just put 'poor' in inverted commas as if this section of society doesn't exist. Saying they should take a credit card out isn't the answer when there's already a suitable system in place. 

Paying in full won't affect the chancers as they'll just pay and get a refund if necessary, and you couldn't make it non-refundable due to people having genuine reasons to miss the festival once paid, it is 9 months away after all. The chancers are likely the same people who are prepared to leave behind £100s worth of tents and camping gear, they won't be hit by removing the deposit system but some will be.

Ultimately the system we have now is fairest, it's a lottery which will favour the most determined and well organised. If anything I would change the time tickets go on sale to 6am, that will deter anyone who isn't really that fussed at all.

I understand your points and the pros and cons of the deposit system have been debated a lot on other threads, I agree there will be some wealthy chancers who will pay in full too, however i’m not saying the less wealthy don’t exist, or should just get a credit card, if they’re determined to go and need to save for a year, they could be part of a group who have a collective pot to pay upfront with rather than forking out for the entire group themselves they just need to be super organised for the October initial sale.

Having to pay out in full for the resales in April though suggests that anyone with access to limited funds are excluded from these resales by default too. 

I don’t know what the correct answer is, but I would still prefer to have the full purchase price in one go - that’s just my opinion.

5 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I found one last year (woodlands retreat) which was charging £5-6K for glamping and 2 VIP tickets. We couldn't justify spending that much so just sat around waiting for the non-existent secret resale. Obviously I can't say if they're any good or not, but I checked with the festival and they are at least genuine (neighbouring farm with permission to sell tickets with accommodation).

I've been lead to believe that the awful weather in the build-up to 2016 meant some of these glamping places were desperately trying to flog tickets and there were some good deals to be had, but no such luck for 2017 :(

The deposit scheme is the fairest, I didn't have the funds back in October to pay for the ticket up front but I've been putting money aside for April staying positive......I'd been trying to busy myself with other things but in the end I just end up looking through old Glastonbury photos, line up rumours or talking about Glastonbury. I'm still not over it, my friends have started discussing alternative festivals to fill the summer with but I can't let go just yet....

it's not over till it's over....?

Hope everyone's had a great start to the week! 

On 11/5/2018 at 3:04 PM, moheetoes said:

Having to pay out in full for the resales in April though suggests that anyone with access to limited funds are excluded from these resales by default too. 

The resale is like 2 months before the festival... if you havent saved the funds from October to April you are not going to save them from April to June. If your funds are that limited you shouldn't be going, or you should be volunteering in my opinion.

For be the deposit system is great, next best thing to installments. Our group has had to fork out £1500 for our tents in Worthy View in one go so not having to pay for the tickets until April is very handy. 

The thing is most if not all of us know we want to get these precious tickets. It’s in our mind as soon as we leave the festival that we will be joining the ticket frenzy in October. So what’s the point of a deposit. I know all year that nothing will stop us going so it isn’t an issue when to pay for it. So if you have to save up, and I know some might have to, start putting the cash away in June. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The thing is most if not all of us know we want to get these precious tickets. It’s in our mind as soon as we leave the festival that we will be joining the ticket frenzy in October. So what’s the point of a deposit. I know all year that nothing will stop us going so it isn’t an issue when to pay for it. So if you have to save up, and I know some might have to, start putting the cash away in June. 

Nail on head!

On 11/4/2018 at 12:53 PM, Ozanne said:

Yes, I think this too. It might not be popular but I think they should get rid of the deposit and have it be the full balance in October, it would take out a lot of the chancers and reward the dedicated people in a way. But I realise this might not be the most economical way of doing it for some or most.

I believe that too. But is the deposit a way to help people that may not be able to pay the full amount straight away more than the people who change their minds ? 

7 hours ago, bdon89 said:

The deposit scheme is the fairest, I didn't have the funds back in October to pay for the ticket up front but I've been putting money aside for April staying positive......I'd been trying to busy myself with other things but in the end I just end up looking through old Glastonbury photos, line up rumours or talking about Glastonbury. I'm still not over it, my friends have started discussing alternative festivals to fill the summer with but I can't let go just yet....

it's not over till it's over....?

Hope everyone's had a great start to the week! 

I know some people that tried to infill the gap glasto leaves. Prob spend 3k each going all over the place. Still missed glasto and ended up in debt. 

On 11/4/2018 at 12:53 PM, Ozanne said:

Yes, I think this too. It might not be popular but I think they should get rid of the deposit and have it be the full balance in October, it would take out a lot of the chancers and reward the dedicated people in a way. But I realise this might not be the most economical way of doing it for some or most.

The deposit system will always divide opinion but you also have to look at how it benefits the festival organisers. The old one up ticket payment in full used to take place in the April before that summers' festival. However before this April date one can assume the organisers had begun to incur cost for the putting on the festival. Improvements to the site to improve drainage and alleviate flooding, and improve access and roadways have all taken place over the last decade or so. The deposit has presumably raised vital working capitol to facilitate necessary organisational activities.

3 minutes ago, Lycra said:

The deposit system will always divide opinion but you also have to look at how it benefits the festival organisers. The old one up ticket payment in full used to take place in the April before that summers' festival. However before this April date one can assume the organisers had begun to incur cost for the putting on the festival. Improvements to the site to improve drainage and alleviate flooding, and improve access and roadways have all taken place over the last decade or so. The deposit has presumably raised vital working capitol to facilitate necessary organisational activities.

Or it’s allowed Emily and Michael to have some serious grog fests! ?

9 hours ago, Lycra said:

Good point, it does help with liquidity and cash flow through the quieter months in the build up.

Changing the time is a good option too, put it at 3am on a Monday morning, that’d sort out the chancers!

On 11/5/2018 at 2:17 PM, eastynh said:

Mate take her to Glasto, get down one one knee, put a Hoola Hoop round her finger and ask her to marry you, right under the tree in the middle of the pyramid field.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't actually considered a Glasto proposal...

Fantastic idea.

EDIT: Need tickets first!

Edited by DareToDibble

On 11/5/2018 at 6:25 PM, Simsy said:

I found one last year (woodlands retreat) which was charging £5-6K for glamping and 2 VIP tickets. We couldn't justify spending that much so just sat around waiting for the non-existent secret resale. Obviously I can't say if they're any good or not, but I checked with the festival and they are at least genuine (neighbouring farm with permission to sell tickets with accommodation).

I've been lead to believe that the awful weather in the build-up to 2016 meant some of these glamping places were desperately trying to flog tickets and there were some good deals to be had, but no such luck for 2017 :(

Maybe I should do a rain dance from April onwards then!

Despite the mud that was actually one of my favourite years!