Headliners 2019

nban2010

18 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

@eastynh sprinting the the front barrier of the Pyramid when Depeche Mode headline

I don't think they are ever going to do it mate. This year was the time for them to do it I reckon. I have seen Hot Chip and New Order headline stages, I can't ask for more than that really.

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He might find that he's leapfrogged by Stormzy on that front if the latter maintains his current momentum.

His thinking was that there has never been a UK hip hop artist headliner - so you could be right.

That and he has smashed it up on every other stage and made it really hard for everyone to follow him.

21 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

I don't think Depeche Mode are big enough to headline. They maybe were once big enough to headline but that was a long time ago.

They haven't had an album go Gold here since 2005 and nothing has got higher than 1 x Gold disc. Compare that to even someone like the XX who may be on the cusp and they've had a Platinum record. 

Depeche Mode are a strange one. I understand perfectly where you are coming from in regards to current sales yet they are a far far bigger band than the XX. World wide they are bigger than Radiohead. They are going round the world selling out football stadiums and breaking records for concerts in places like LA. Plus they have just sold out the Olympic stadium. When you look at their chart history, they have had more top 40 hits than the XX, Radiohead and Foo Fighters combined. Their current tour is absolutely huge. Yet like Radiohead they are a marmite band.

People might no longer be buying their records but they are still a huge live draw. I understand your misgivings but they are too big not to headline. Would they pull a big crowd at Glastonbury? It would probably be Metallica, Radiohead or Arcade Fire size.

Will they ever headline? probably not unfortunately.

As I said, they are a strange one.

Edited by eastynh

Just now, eastynh said:

Depeche Mode are a strange one. I understand perfectly where you are coming from in regards to current sales yet they are a far far bigger band than the XX. World wide they are bigger than Radiohead. They are going round the world selling out football stadiums and breaking records for concerts in places like LA. Plus they have just sold out the Olymic stadium. When you look at their chart history, they have had more top 40 hits than the XX, Radiohead and Foo Fighters combined. Their current tour is absolutely huge. Yet like Radiohead they are a marmite band.

People might no longer be buying their records but they are still a huge live draw. I understand your misgivings but they are too big not to headline. Would they pull a big crowd at Glastonbury? It would probably be Metallica, Radiohead or Arcade Fire size.

Will they ever headline? probably not unfortunately.

As I said, they are a strange one.

Add to that: I'd like to see them but I don't want to pay for it. Can someone please get on the case? You've got two years!

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

I don't think Depeche Mode are big enough to headline. They maybe were once big enough to headline but that was a long time ago.

They haven't had an album go Gold here since 2005 and nothing has got higher than 1 x Gold disc. Compare that to even someone like the XX who may be on the cusp and they've had a Platinum record. 

This is an exquisitely ludicrous statement. DM just sold out the Olympic Stadium - I struggle to think of any metric of measuring a band's 'size' than their ability to sell concert tickets, gold records or not. There is a massive audience at Worthy Farm for them and if they were to headline, they would win over a whole bunch of new fans.

2 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

This is an exquisitely ludicrous statement. DM just sold out the Olympic Stadium - I struggle to think of any metric of measuring a band's 'size' than their ability to sell concert tickets, gold records or not. There is a massive audience at Worthy Farm for them and if they were to headline, they would win over a whole bunch of new fans.

It's really not. I've covered this earlier in the thread but I can almost guarantee that crowd at the Olympic Stadium is a very, very different demographic to those attending Worthy Farm. 

Record sales are very relevant - if they were still selling lots of records then they'd still be winning over new fans. They're not - I just can't see very many people in their 20s or early to mid 30s being excited to see them. 

While that's true as it stands, you'd have to say that Radiohead are also now in that position.

The difference is that the latter get an eternal pass to the top of the table due to their history with the fest......but when it comes down to the reality of it on the ground is that their crowd is getting dwarved by Craig David's.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

While that's true as it stands, you'd have to say that Radiohead are also now in that position.

The difference is that the latter get an eternal pass to the top of the table due to their history with the fest......but when it comes down to the reality of it on the ground is that their crowd is getting dwarved by Craig David's.

Let's not bring the support band into it, it was The Absolute Boy Jeremy Corbyn they were there to see.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Depeche Mode are the same as The Cure or most big metal bands; huge in their niche and legions of devoted fans worldwide, but gonna send most of Glastonbury's partisan crowd of diverse tastes off to other stages.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I have to agree unfortunately. As much as it pains me to say it, I think Depeche Mode's time as a possible Glastonbury headliner has passed. They should have done it when they had the chance. Stupid decision to turn it down for what was a pretty piss poor reason.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Radiohead are still selling plenty of records compared to DM, I think you'll find far, far more Radiohead fans at Glasto than Depeche Mode fans. 

Sure their set had a few people leaving, but I don't think so many would turn up to a DM set in the first place. It's not just about history with the festival, they occupy a position within music both critically and commercially that DM don't (whether you think that's deserved or not). DM are still pretty well regarded and their gigs sell big, but it's a far narrower appeal.

That said, in ten years' time you might have a similar situation with Radiohead fans being a lot older than the Glasto crowd. Back in 2005 or so DM could have headlined, but not anymore. 

4 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Radiohead are still selling plenty of records compared to DM, I think you'll find far, far more Radiohead fans at Glasto than Depeche Mode fans. 

Sure their set had a few people leaving, but I don't think so many would turn up to a DM set in the first place. It's not just about history with the festival, they occupy a position within music both critically and commercially that DM don't (whether you think that's deserved or not). DM are still pretty well regarded and their gigs sell big, but it's a far narrower appeal.

That said, in ten years' time you might have a similar situation with Radiohead fans being a lot older than the Glasto crowd. Back in 2005 or so DM could have headlined, but not anymore. 

Radiohead are still worthy headliners, no doubt. They deserved to be in the slot without question.

I'm just in the situation where all of my preferred candidates are out of the running and Depeche Mode have been promoted into the 'interesting prospect' position.