Headliners 2019

nban2010

I think they might well give someone like Foals or Tame Impala the bump up to headliners, even if they aren't seen as 'headline size'. I think 2020 might be a year where it will be all 'heritage' headliners, if they can pull it off. 

Edited by Alan_C

39 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I think they might well give someone like Foals or Tame Impala the bump up to headliners, even if they aren't seen as 'headline size'. I think 2020 might be a year where it will be all 'heritage' headliners, if they can pull it off. 

Will Glastonbury's changing demographic respond to "heritage" headliners the same way as they used to? You only need to look at the crowd for Ed Sheeran. 

40 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

It'd be nice but there's something every year that makes me feel we're further away from new headliners intentionally being booked to headline Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, arcade fireman said:

I don't think Depeche Mode are big enough to headline. They maybe were once big enough to headline but that was a long time ago.

They haven't had an album go Gold here since 2005 and nothing has got higher than 1 x Gold disc. Compare that to even someone like the XX who may be on the cusp and they've had a Platinum record. 

They're comfortably big enough having just done their biggest show on these isles so they wouldn't have to accept lower, but whether they're enough outside their own fanbase to headline the Pyramid I'm not sure. Still, they've seemingly been asked in recent years and if it's the choice between bumping up someone like The xx or picking an act like Depeche Mode who have all these albums and decades of experience I think they'd go towards Gahan and co.

4 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Will Glastonbury's changing demographic respond to "heritage" headliners the same way as they used to? You only need to look at the crowd for Ed Sheeran. 

Depends who it is really. If we're talking about crowd sizes then The Who got a big crowd 2 years ago still. I think they will definitely attempt to get Fleetwood Mac again, and maybe one Pulp, Blur or less likely, Oasis if something unlikely happened there.

1 hour ago, arcade fireman said:

I don't think Depeche Mode are big enough to headline. They maybe were once big enough to headline but that was a long time ago.

They haven't had an album go Gold here since 2005 and nothing has got higher than 1 x Gold disc. Compare that to even someone like the XX who may be on the cusp and they've had a Platinum record. 

They just sold out the Olympic Stadium. Of course they'd bloody headline! :lol:

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It'd be nice but there's something every year that makes me feel we're further away from new headliners intentionally being booked to headline Glastonbury.

Other than Matty Healy and the lads there's not any new act I see Glastonbury pushing up to headliner status. I see someone mentioned U2 above, what's your thoughts on them doing it as I know you've predicted them a bit in the last year or so and their tours do seem to last a couple of years.

5 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Not particularly 

Seemed quite big to me. It doesn't have to be a full field though does it? If they book headliners by predicted numbers, then we're in trouble. Radiohead and Arcade Fire would be seen as errors of judgement, for a start. 

3 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

They just sold out the Olympic Stadium. Of course they'd bloody headline! :lol:

I would be very surprised if the demographics at that Olympic Stadium gig even came close to that at Glasto. I'm 31 and I know no one who likes Depeche Mode, that's not to say they don't have loads of fans but they haven't been relevant for decades and neither are they enough of a heritage act such as The Who, Springsteen etc to override that. 

3 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Other than Matty Healy and the lads there's not any new act I see Glastonbury pushing up to headliner status. I see someone mentioned U2 above, what's your thoughts on them doing it as I know you've predicted them a bit in the last year or so and their tours do seem to last a couple of years.

U2 are a good shout. I think their new album is out next year so they'll probably be late to start that having just come off of the Joshua Tree tour and should be around for 2019 unless they've offered their services for 2020 already - which is what I'm thinking.

The 1975 do spring to mind as the only undoubted new headliner that released their debut in the past few years but even then, R+L will beat them to it I guess. Royal Blood look to be in pretty good standing however with the sales of the new record and the arenat our but them playing this year pushes it further away and I'm not sure if they could keep it up until album four or whatever.

Mind you, it has to change. There are bands being suggested now that won't have long left in them. I don't know if it'll change in time for Tame Impala and Foals and whoever to capitalise but festivals won't just stop when the headline acts run out.

I think it's in Glasto's interest to push some acts like Tame Impala up. It can become self perpetuating to an extent like it did with Muse and Kings of Leon (Sex on Fire came out a few months after Glasto). The associated publicity around a headline slot can lift them to the next level and help create a new generation of festival headliners. 

29 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I'm sure you were touting this earlier

28 minutes ago, battleborn said:

For Arctic Monkeys not Fleetwood fucking Mac. Completely different scenarios. Also that was for Reading + Leeds not Glastonbury, different kettles of fish. 

You've got to love that haven't you, the suggestion that the bigger band might sub and not the smaller one. We need need to give these tool any help is being so but this amused me.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I would be very surprised if the demographics at that Olympic Stadium gig even came close to that at Glasto. I'm 31 and I know no one who likes Depeche Mode, that's not to say they don't have loads of fans but they haven't been relevant for decades and neither are they enough of a heritage act such as The Who, Springsteen etc to override that. 

I'm sure there'd be plenty of people like me who'd love to see them but wouldn't pay to go to their show. A lot of people will just watch the headliner regardless of who they are anyway. Sure they won't appeal to the kids/V audience, but they would to the 25+. 

36 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Eds a popstar, course he's going to get a massive crowd, Foals and Tame are relatively niche. 

If the only interest is crowd sizes they'd book Craig David to headline

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Mind you, it has to change. There are bands being suggested now that won't have long left in them. I don't know if it'll change in time for Tame Impala and Foals and whoever to capitalise but festivals won't just stop when the headline acts run out.

Therein lies the problem, these bands being boosted up to headliners just aren't good enough or original enough to sustain it for a long period. Only really Arctic Monkeys and Kings of Leon have become bonafide headliners over the last decade and yet they play festivals to death so it gets tiresome seeing them headline everywhere.

Where is the next big British band coming from? Too many bands out there who think Oasis are the pinnacle of music and are devoid of any originality or charisma. Where are the next Clash? The next Joy Division? The next Blur? 

i love Tame Impala, but unless the next album is a huge commercial smash, there's no chance they're headlining in 2019. even the sub slot last year was a big step up for them.

The 1975 have even less chance of headlining in 2019. close to zero. they might manage to bag themselves a sub slot, or Other headline. they were 3rd on the Other last year FFS.

31 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Therein lies the problem, these bands being boosted up to headliners just aren't good enough or original enough to sustain it for a long period. Only really Arctic Monkeys and Kings of Leon have become bonafide headliners over the last decade and yet they play festivals to death so it gets tiresome seeing them headline everywhere.

Where is the next big British band coming from? Too many bands out there who think Oasis are the pinnacle of music and are devoid of any originality or charisma. Where are the next Clash? The next Joy Division? The next Blur? 

Maybe we could have bands that don't rip off bands who were of a time 20-30 years ago. There's a thought. 

Edited by Zac Quinn

2 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Maybe we could have bands that don't sound like bands who were of a time 20-30 years ago. There's a thought. 

Well that's my point smarty. Where is the next new great band coming from? Why would I want someone who sounds like a shit version of The Clash when I can listen to The Clash? 

Edited by Chinaski_

7 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Well that's my point smarty. Where is the next new great band coming from? Why would I want someone who sounds like a shit version of The Clash when I can listen to The Clash? 

Well then I'm glad we agree :D plenty of new creative bands about, just the media won't support them. Why risk playing something remotely challenging on Radio 1 when you can get a load of positive tweets thrown your way for playing the latest derivative crap by Catfish instead. Race to the bottom mindset is killing every bit of our culture.

Edited by Zac Quinn