Football 17/18

TheGayTent

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

League over. 

An 8 point lead with 27 games of the season still to go? No chance. They look unstoppable on current form but there are still a LOT of games between now and the end of the season. They won't maintain this form over 38 games, no chance. Takes one or two results to swing it and all of a sudden the momentum completely changes. Obviously they will be right up there at the end of the season but to write it off already is premature.

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

An 8 point lead with 27 games of the season still to go? No chance. They look unstoppable on current form but there are still a LOT of games between now and the end of the season. They won't maintain this form over 38 games, no chance. Takes one or two results to swing it and all of a sudden the momentum completely changes. Obviously they will be right up there at the end of the season but to write it off already is premature.

Who can challenge City?

12 hours ago, jyoung said:

An 8 point lead with 27 games of the season still to go? No chance. 

To the end of the year they have Leicester, Huddersfield, Saints, West Ham, Man Utd, Spurs, Bournmouth, Newcastle and Palace. 

Utd/Spurs week aside thats nice for them. Last week I said 10 points clear by XMas. I think it'll be closer to 12 or 13 now. 

Everyone else is playing for 2nd. 

7 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Were Hernandez, Arnautovic and Hart his signings or someone else's?

Sullivan is in charge of transfers. Best one can hope for is the manager and chairman agree on a target. 

Hernandez is the infamous "£20m striker" from 2 seasons back. A ridiculous notion in itself. Of course Sullivan failed in his task set by himself with the likes of Carlos Bacca....which led to him buying & selling/loaning Zaza, Calleri, and Fletcher in the interim. 

9 hours ago, mjsell said:

Its last chance saloon for Moysie with the hammers. If he messes this up I can't see him coming back from it and getting another job in the top tier

i don't rate his chances

TBH Sunderland should have been his last chance. A 13% win percentage!

Confirmed for West ham. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

As football 365 says, 8 of last 14 PL managerial appointments have been Brits aged 50-70.  Allardyce next. There's your barrier to young British coaches, not quailifed and successful foreign coaches

It's not really a surprise, since football became big business. 

Have a look at the CEO's of the FTSE Top 100. What percentage of those aren't males aged 50-70?

I think Moyes will do ok at West Ham. He was never going to do anything at Sunderland having to cut the debt by 20% - 30%. I guess the question will be if he has enough time as his biggest plus is the scouting network he puts in place.

3 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

It's not really a surprise, since football became big business. 

Have a look at the CEO's of the FTSE Top 100. What percentage of those aren't males aged 50-70?

Yeah true, but then u get them all whinging in the media when a 'foreign' gets hired. Allardyce's 'second class citizen' comment

Just now, thetime said:

Perhaps Bilic got pushed at the right time, tough fixtures coming up.

West Ham's December fixtures:

Man City (A) 
Chelsea (H)
Arsenal (H) EFL Cup
Stoke (A)
Arsenal (A)
Newcastle (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Spurs (A)

TBH i think Billic should have gone in the summer. They werent doing particularly well and could have got a better manager.

20 minutes ago, zahidf said:

As football 365 says, 8 of last 14 PL managerial appointments have been Brits aged 50-70.  Allardyce next. There's your barrier to young British coaches, not quailifed and successful foreign coaches

Although couldn't you argue that many of those British managers getting these jobs have had to work the way up the ladders themselves. Rather than complaining the young British managers need to get promoted to the premiership and prove themselves as the likes of Dyche and Howe have shown.

I personally don't really care if the premiership has many British managers, just as I don't really care if the league has many British players.