2019 festival

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Rings a bell but I can’t remember. Wouldn’t surprise me.

On 2/12/2018 at 6:34 PM, danz026 said:

My conspiracy theory, given a couple of rumours that the final headliner was only booked last week, is that Tramlines/R&L have been fighting to land AM as an English exclusive. R&L have won the battle and binned Foo Fighters, but they’ve been beaten by Bestival to land Royal Blood (possibly because they only offered RB coheadline, whereas Bestival make them outright headliners). Florence and Kendrick will both end up headlining outright, whereas the original plan was to have one of them coheadline with RB. Florence may be a bit of a late choice as well to be honest, I’m not sure she’s always been at the forefront of R&L’s minds for 2018 but given recent media attention to gender diversity of festival lineups they realise they needed a token woman, and perhaps tried to bring her in to coheadline with RB, and have lost RB as a result. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Boba73 said:

The Foos have just been announced for Hurricaine and Southside next year.  That puts them into the strong maybe category at Reading for me.

Yeah the fact they are active means they seem likely. The announced dates in June could swing them more in the Download direction though.

Foos would be amazing. But their sales have being plummeting lately and each album released. The generation of fans that attended R&L 10 years ago were a different breed. Great status bands that we were raised on were Green Day, RHCP, Foo Fighters etc, there is a whole generation of new festival goers that make up the majority that see it as old man music in the age of spotify, soundcloud, instant streaming etc.

Heck there are kids legally drinking now and will be the older ones of Readings target demographic that were 9 years old when Greenday brought out there last decent thing. American idiot they were 4 years old. Foos last 'great' hit they were 9 years old. They were 7 years old when MCR brought out black parade!

We are in an age where we are the minority of festival goers, looking for good classic bands and that is why the Festivals just won't cater to our demographic anymore. Just looking around the last 3/4 from memory it was (guestimate):

15-17 Year 11 to college: 25%

18-21 University kids: 40%

21-25 LADS LADS LADS last time i can take a load of coke and get off it without looking like a sad old person types: 20%

25-50 standard people going to listen to good music: 15%

We're well in the minority and good music is harder to come by in the age where anybody can make a well polished soundcloud track and be a one hit wonder. Bands are trying to compete with that and that is why you end up with 21 pilots rushing out a "reggae emo" album and JuiceWrld hitting the main stage.

People like Post Malone are the future unfortunately, the old days of great music that you would burn your mates £15 RHCP CD and listen to it all month, and the only other sources of music were Kerrang and actual shows have gone. Those bands that we actually want to see like Foos don't interest kids who can stream literally anything they want and have an attention span of 30 second soundbites of songs before pressing skip. 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Foos would be amazing. But their sales have being plummeting lately and each album released. The generation of fans that attended R&L 10 years ago were a different breed. Great status bands that we were raised on were Green Day, RHCP, Foo Fighters etc, there is a whole generation of new festival goers that make up the majority that see it as old man music in the age of spotify, soundcloud, instant streaming etc.

Heck there are kids legally drinking now and will be the older ones of Readings target demographic that were 9 years old when Greenday brought out there last decent thing. American idiot they were 4 years old. Foos last 'great' hit they were 9 years old. They were 7 years old when MCR brought out black parade!

We are in an age where we are the minority of festival goers, looking for good classic bands and that is why the Festivals just won't cater to our demographic anymore. Just looking around the last 3/4 from memory it was (guestimate):

21-25 LADS LADS LADS last time i can take a load of coke and get off it without looking like a sad old person types: 20%

We're well in the minority and good music is harder to come by in the age where anybody can make a well polished soundcloud track and be a one hit wonder. Bands are trying to compete with that and that is why you end up with 21 pilots rushing out a "reggae emo" album and JuiceWrld hitting the main stage.

People like Post Malone are the future unfortunately, the old days of great music that you would burn your mates £15 RHCP CD and listen to it all month, and the only other sources of music were Kerrang and actual shows have gone. Those bands that we actually want to see like Foos don't interest kids who can stream literally anything they want and have an attention span of 30 second soundbites of songs before pressing skip. 

Well, I'm in the age range of 18-21 and how you described those "kids" is the complete opposite to what I am so don't think everyone in that age range is the same. I would much rather a festival with Foos, Green Day and RHCP as that's the music I love. There are loads of younger people who feel the same as well so don't be too quick to judge. Yes, I agree a big amount of younger people are into hip-hop music and rap but people are still die-hard fans to the great bands that are still performing today.

I even travelled to another country to see Foos this year because i missed out on London tickets :D 

Edited by The All Round Ball :|
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

Well, I'm in the age range of 18-21 and how you described those "kids" is the complete opposite to what I am so don't think everyone in that age range is the same. I would much rather a festival with Foos, Green Day and RHCP as that's the music I love. There are loads of younger people who feel the same as well so don't be too quick to judge. Yes, I agree a big amount of younger people are into hip-hop music and rap but people are still die-hard fans to the great bands that are still performing today. 

Totally agree.

R+L booked Kings of Leon this past year and I would be sure that most 'youngsters' know more Foo Fighters, RHCP, Green Day, Killers, My Chemical Romance etc. songs than Kings songs despite each bands last 'big' record coming before Only By The Night. Fall Out Boy's most popular songs amongst crowds are easily those from 2005-2007 as well.

Plus with streaming services people are more eclectic in their music taste than ever before.  

17 minutes ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

I even travelled to another country to see Foos this year because i missed out on London tickets :D 

I totally agree with this too.  I'll admit I'm in the older group, hence Boba73, but I go to a lot of European shows and there are always loads of 20-somethings at the older bands shows.  The Foos sales might be down but they are a massive draw putting on a top rock show.  Definitely not to be written off.

Just now, Boba73 said:

I totally agree with this too.  I'll admit I'm in the older group, hence Boba73, but I go to a lot of European shows and there are always loads of 20-somethings at the older bands shows.  The Foos sales might be down but they are a massive draw putting on a top rock show.  Definitely not to be written off.

Yeah definitely! Whenever I've seen foos, they completely smash it out of the park! Always fun, get the crowd going and just put on a classic awesome rock show. Who wouldn't want to see that and from there last performance at R&L (which was an amazing setlist just to add) who wouldn't want them back there to play again? Wouldnt make sense if they didn't get Foos back soon. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

who knows? There's reason to think they won't do both because R/L likes an exclusive, but playing both has happened with headliners before now.

Certainly is interesting, I can see them doing R&L if they do have to choose due to their history with the festival. They attended when they were younger. Also the info from the fan of theirs saying that they weren't doing glasto, plus when they last played they said they were coming back to headline.

1 hour ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

Yeah sure, but you always get the odd ones in groups that enjoy their music and go to festivals to broaden there music horizons and actually enjoy the spectacle of the show. But just have a look round the festival would you! The majority of that demographic there are there to get underage drunk and be all like "woooooo were at a festival i saw the courteeners woooooo now im gonna try and pull some 15 year old girl in some stupidly short hot shorts and uv paint all over their face downing a bottle of vodka straight and sharing a key between 10. of us because were so cool".

10 years ago Reading was quality, now its gangs of intoxicated kids setting fire to tents because theyre just idiots.

• Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Yeah sure, but you always get the odd ones in groups that enjoy their music and go to festivals to broaden there music horizons and actually enjoy the spectacle of the show. But just have a look round the festival would you! The majority of that demographic there are there to get underage drunk and be all like "woooooo were at a festival i saw the courteeners woooooo now im gonna try and pull some 15 year old girl in some stupidly short hot shorts and uv paint all over their face downing a bottle of vodka straight and sharing a key between 10. of us because were so cool".

10 years ago Reading was quality, now its gangs of intoxicated kids setting fire to tents because theyre just idiots.

Well done. Doesn't mean that everyone in an age range does the same thing. I'm sure there were people 10 years ago at festivals that drunk loads of booze and did stupid stuff. People do stuff like this. I see your point, don't think that I don't but you're making it out as if everyone younger than the age of 21 is an underage, intoxicated annoying idiot when that's not the case. People go to festivals for different reasons. Music, a good weekend or whatever it may be but if you don't like the festival, there's an easy option isn't there. I got for the music mostly which is why last year I didn't go. Do what you want but don't think everyone is the same just because of there age. 

35 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Please be sensible, it's a festival. Don't do anything stupid because it's too dangerous. You've got to stay safe these places are cesspits of violence and drugs.

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Weirdly condescending post from someone describing Foo Fighters, Green Day and RHCP as great bands.

Edit: Ironically, when I was 16 I thought Foos and RHCP were great bands. Now I'm older I've realised they're naff as hell and all my friends have grown out of them, too.

Edited by Gucci Piggy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1