2019 festival

4 hours ago, Dangerbreaks said:

The amount of dislike I see towards ADTR on this forum from some people is crazy. Of course they're big enough to sub, they'll almost certainly be headlining download in the near future and it's not like they're under the weakest headliner. Yes they're probably smaller than Royal Blood but compared to the usual size for subs they're fine. 

If Foo Fighters are getting 3 hours they’re in effect 3rd anyway!

I think it’s a great set of headliners and the first time I’ll watch all 3(4) for years. 

Foo Fighters are always good, I think I’ve seen them at Reading alone 4-5 times now though and 2 hours would be enough

4 hours ago, Dangerbreaks said:

The amount of dislike I see towards ADTR on this forum from some people is crazy. Of course they're big enough to sub, they'll almost certainly be headlining download in the near future and it's not like they're under the weakest headliner. Yes they're probably smaller than Royal Blood but compared to the usual size for subs they're fine. 

If Foo Fighters are getting 3 hours they’re in effect 3rd anyway!

I think it’s a great set of headliners and the first time I’ll watch all 3(4) for years. 

Foo Fighters are always good, I think I’ve seen them at Reading alone 4-5 times now though and 2 hours would be enough

ADTR subbing is just fine. They aren’t below average size for a sub. They are definitely a sub sized band. They sold an arena tour really well and they subbed Download last time they played. They’ve been quiet for quite a while so I can definitely see them announcing an album just after R&L, if not before. It’s all part of their push towards headlining Download next year, I’m certain.  

As for the days not being well balanced, I think that is a non-argument. There is very clearly a more rock focused day, a more pop/hip hop focused day and The 1975’s day is more ‘indie’ than the other days. For the first time in a few years, R&L have got quite clearly focused days. It’s definitely not as scatter gun as it has been in recent times. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Tom Connolly said:

well they’re the newest headliner sized act and they actually bring something new and innovative to the table unlike 99% of other headline acts 

I think they're the most exciting headliner at R&L this year by a long stretch. But saying they're the most exciting headline booking in the world is a bold statement.

2 minutes ago, Tom Connolly said:

who’s more exciting?

I'd say Stormzy at Glastonbury this year was a more exciting headline booking. Childish Gambino headlining major US festivals also.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

ADTR subbing is just fine. They aren’t below average size for a sub. They are definitely a sub sized band. They sold an arena tour really well and they subbed Download last time they played. They’ve been quiet for quite a while so I can definitely see them announcing an album just after R&L, if not before. It’s all part of their push towards headlining Download next year, I’m certain.  

As for the days not being well balanced, I think that is a non-argument. There is very clearly a more rock focused day, a more pop/hip hop focused day and The 1975’s day is more ‘indie’ than the other days. For the first time in a few years, R&L have got quite clearly focused days. It’s definitely not as scatter gun as it has been in recent times. 

Focused days are fine for day ticket holders but what about the people who are there all weekend, they are left with days where they have loads on and loads of clashes and then other days where they are scrambling around for something to watch 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rivalschools.price said:

Focused days are fine for day ticket holders but what about the people who are there all weekend, they are left with days where they have loads on and loads of clashes and then other days where they are scrambling around for something to watch 

1. Make a choice on who you want to see. 

2. Go and discover something new. 

3 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

The Pit, Festival Republic Stage, 1Xtra and Dance stages are all pretty much distinct genres so there's a good chance that everybody will have people they want to see throughout most of the day even if it just means sticking to a couple of smaller stages between the acts they fancy seeing on main stage. I think there's enough on every day to keep weekend ticket holders happy, but each day is still extremely appealing to individual communities.

56 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

The Pit, Festival Republic Stage, 1Xtra and Dance stages are all pretty much distinct genres so there's a good chance that everybody will have people they want to see throughout most of the day even if it just means sticking to a couple of smaller stages between the acts they fancy seeing on main stage. I think there's enough on every day to keep weekend ticket holders happy, but each day is still extremely appealing to individual communities.

The Pit on Saturday is the exception to this though. I agree with @rivalschools.price cos it’s ended up where Basement, Fidlar and TSSF clash with ADTR and Shikari, and then the pit on Saturday is filled with soundcloud rappers when there’s hardly any rock bands on the other stages. 

I’m not really arsed by it, but I get where he’s coming from and it does take the piss a bit. 

LU/ Pit in general is fucking bum this year anyway

Edited by Steve1000

Just now, Steve1000 said:

The Pit on Saturday is the exception to this though. I agree with @rivalschools.price cos it’s ended up where Basement, Fidlar and TSSF clash with ADTR and Shikari, and then the pit on Saturday is filled with soundcloud rappers when there’s hardly any rock bands on the other stages. 

I’m not really arsed by it, but I get where he’s coming from and it does take the piss a bit. 

Yeah looking at the line-up I do see this point a bit, can see why that Saturday wouldn't appeal as much to rock fans, but then again the Foos day probably would be the one that appeals more to the non-typical Reading crowd. I'd guess that the majority of people who are going mainly for them probably got a day ticket.

3 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

Yeah looking at the line-up I do see this point a bit, can see why that Saturday wouldn't appeal as much to rock fans, but then again the Foos day probably would be the one that appeals more to the non-typical Reading crowd. I'd guess that the majority of people who are going mainly for them probably got a day ticket.

I do actually think it’s better for rock fans having one day completely dedicated to the genre and barely anything else anyway tbh, cos people who used to get R&L weekend tickets can now just get a day ticket for the big boys, and still afford a 2000 trees ticket or whatever

20 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

LU/ Pit in general is fucking bum this year anyway

Spot on, I struggling to get through the gates on Saturday but plenty on Friday and Sunday is packed.

11 hours ago, Dangerbreaks said:

I don't hate them at all, I think they're ok, not really for me but I can see why people like them (unlike post), I just think they're a weak sub is all. Not the end of the world but I look at previous years (not so much last year in fairness) and the subs are a lot stronger. I mean the first half of the decade has crazy big bands for second down, bookings which would be considered decent headliners these days. Even post-2015, though, when the lineups have been getting worse you had Imagine Dragons (I can't put into words how bad I think they are but they are hugely popular), major lazer, LG, courteeners (I know I said not last year but that's a big one tbf). ADTR don't really have crossover appeal which is what you expect for second down at r&l

Edited by thelemon

9 minutes ago, thelemon said:

I don't hate them at all, I think they're ok, not really for me but I can see why people like them (unlike post), I just think they're a weak sub is all. Not the end of the world but I look at previous years (not so much last year in fairness) and the subs are a lot stronger. I mean the first half of the decade has crazy big bands for second down, bookings which would be considered decent headliners these days. 

They were probably all normal sized subs at the time they played tho. Or at least at the time they were booked 

Edited by Steve1000
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thelemon said:

I don't hate them at all, I think they're ok, not really for me but I can see why people like them (unlike post), I just think they're a weak sub is all. Not the end of the world but I look at previous years (not so much last year in fairness) and the subs are a lot stronger. I mean the first half of the decade has crazy big bands for second down, bookings which would be considered decent headliners these days. Even post-2015, though, when the lineups have been getting worse you had Imagine Dragons (I can't put into words how bad I think they are but they are hugely popular), major lazer, LG, courteeners (I know I said not last year but that's a big one tbf). ADTR don't really have crossover appeal which is what you expect for second down at r&l

Major Lazer and Courteeners are terrible examples in trying to prove your point and when Liam Gallagher was first announced as sub in here the whole place melted down

2 hours ago, Benj said:

Major Lazer and Courteeners are terrible examples in trying to prove your point and when Liam Gallagher was first announced as sub in here the whole place melted down

Courteeners just played to 60,000 which I'm not sure ADTR have ever done, and Major lazer have had multiple big radio hits

5 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

I do actually think it’s better for rock fans having one day completely dedicated to the genre and barely anything else anyway tbh, cos people who used to get R&L weekend tickets can now just get a day ticket for the big boys, and still afford a 2000 trees ticket or whatever

Yeah I somehow don't think this is Reading's sales strategy. This year it worked out but most years they struggle to sellout or don't at all in recent years and selling the weekend tickets is the best way to go. I think if this year hadn't got acts like Billie who blew up and like Foos to sell a massive amount of tickets it wouldn't have pulled it off so quickly anyway.

Its the same with the Sunday too but for rap - practically nothing on main (Lil Uzi Vert is the only act not checked the lowest ones though) and the R1 ones are done by 6pm - so many people will be leaving early especially if its bad weather again there is literally nothing to stop them from staying and as a result not buying drinks at the bars etc. Its weird too because like on the Saturday Mura Masa clashes with post for some reason which is a similar audience and theres other weird clashes. Unless i'm missing something Bastille on the Saturday and Mura Masa on the Sunday would have made so much more sense. I guess the point i'm making is that Saturday has no option for indie/rock fans thats not on a tiny stage and that Sunday has no option for rap/pop fans (I guess Bastile have the pop headline r1 but the rest of the evening stuff isn't)

While we're (the eFestivals crowd) more prepared to explore smaller stages a lot of people won't be and will just head back to the campsites or even leave early. A headline act shouldn't be in a 2k or so tent really is what i'm saying they really should try as much as possible to have an indie/rock act on one of the two big stages at all times and a rap/pop act also on. Obviously they can't have that 100% of the time but this year it seems like they haven't even tried. The days can have set themes it obviously works but I think there should be more crossover, there was nothing stopping a slot like Sundara's having a rapper in or where Billie was originally/Mura Masa's being an indie headline as the crowd will be at the main stage anyway for the most part.

• Like 1