2019 festival

15 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Perhaps I worded that wrong, but AM seem to have more options in the UK next summer than TOP have, so I reckon AM could be booked up somewhere else whereas R&L could have TOP as an exclusive.

I would say The 1975 as an outright UK Exclusive and TOP as a co-headline minimum UK Exclusive. I also think The Killers would be good but would need to be a an exclusive too but think Drake would sell better.

8 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Mate they literally played Dookie in fulk at R&L a few years ago.

But yeah they most likely wouldn't do Dookie again at R&L, it's just evidence that they are likely to be on the road next Summer.

I hadnt realised that was dookie in full lol, but even so the fest has changed a bunch since 2013 imo, so even if it was an option I doubt they'd do it. And surely if they are practicing Dookie in full thats what they would play?

10 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

And R&L have never booked headliners who are headlining other UK fests, which is why it's relevant that Arctic Monkeys have other options.

Why would Arctic Monkeys do BST rather than their own outdoor shows? BST seems to have hit on a decent formula with lineups aimed at older music fans and families, anyway.

As Steve said, the other options are all Live Nation owned so I doubt its that big if a deal, and the BST comment was just going off how well the Killers one went down a couple years ago. In hindsight, you're probably right it was a silly idea :P

13 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I'm not even dead cert on Green Day doing it, more the point that TOP & The 1975 seem shoo-ins for me, which makes the third headliner more likely to be a returning headliner that hasn't done any gigs in the UK over the last year (Green Day and Blink were the first that came to mind).

Yup, agreed if you assume they are shoe ins and you're trying to replace AM then they are both good options, maybe The Strokes (though theh are rumoured for APE iirc) or Foals potentially? Or maybe a proper hip hop headliner? I dont see Blink being a strong enough name to carry the other 3 new ones.

In saying that as I dont think TOP are 100% locked in I was thinking the coheadliner with BMTH (given 1975 arent doing Glasto they'd probably headline outright) would be the random act hence the Prodigy shout

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

In saying that as I dont think TOP are 100% locked in I was thinking the coheadliner with BMTH (given 1975 arent doing Glasto they'd probably headline outright) would be the random act hence the Prodigy shout

Dunno why they'd get The Prodigy to coheadline if they could get TOP, just doesn't make sense.

10 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

But they headlined off the back of their last album. Sure Muse and Cildplay headline it regularlly so I guess AM could to but I dont think theyre that much of a shoe in

Doesn't really matter, the festival love them and Alex loves Glastonbury. I think a stadium tour off the back of Glastonbury around September time if much more likely than R&L. Arena tour, Glastonbury and then sell the tickets off of a massive load of people who saw them on tv and who couldn't get Glasto tickets.

5 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Dunno why they'd get The Prodigy to coheadline if they could get TOP, just doesn't make sense.

Dint see why theyd get Green Day if they could just get AM. Dont see why they didnt get Royal Blood instead of Fall Out Boy.

These are all good questions, FR will guarenteed do something weird that we dunno, i just reckon the least weird weird thing would be replacing 21P.

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Dint see why theyd get Green Day if they could just get AM. Dont see why they didnt get Royal Blood instead of Fall Out Boy.

These are all good questions, FR will guarenteed do something weird that we dunno, i just reckon the least weird weird thing would be replacing 21P.

Nah getting The Prodigy to coheadline at the expense of an act like TOP would be pretty weird. And you'd still have the problem that all 4 of those acts have arena tours in the coming year.

37 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Well I stated all the reasons for this previously lol and I cba to type it out again (as I'm on my phone and I already apparently have 2 other people reply to this since I started typing). But surely if anything R&L being TOP only choice makes them less likely? R&L doesnt have to compete with anyone, they can just get them next year and the difference would be minimal

Why would R&L choose to book them on their second Summer touring the album rather than the first lol?

27 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I hadnt realised that was dookie in full lol, but even so the fest has changed a bunch since 2013 imo, so even if it was an option I doubt they'd do it. And surely if they are practicing Dookie in full thats what they would play?

As others have said, they don't have to be playing Dookie in full at every show. If they're active next year doing Dookie shows they could easily so some greatest hits shows, too (especially at festivals). They could still play like half of Dookie anyway and just replace the lesser known songs with a few other non-Dookie songs.

As Steve said, the other options are all Live Nation owned so I doubt its that big if a deal, and the BST comment was just going off how well the Killers one went down a couple years ago. In hindsight, you're probably right it was a silly idea :P

The other options aren't all Live Nation owned; one of them is. Glasto is still another option even if you personally don't see them doing it.

Similarly to what both @SomeoneListeningIn and I have said, what benefit is there to R&L delaying Twenty One Pilots until 2020 (when they'd be a worse booking as their album would have been out like a year and a half) and instead booking a much worse option in their place?

20 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Because the whole point is that FR might not be able to get Arctic Monkeys. No one is saying they'll pick Green Day or The Killers over Arctic Monkeys, they're saying that if Arctic Monkeys choose to play somewhere else (i.e. Glasto) then those bands are other options.

Royal Blood weren't touring Europe this Summer, which is most likely why they weren't booked.

The difference between Twenty One Pilots and Arctic Monkeys is that they'll likely have no competition for 21P and so if they don't book them it'll be because they've decided not to, which would be very strange, especially to book someone like The Prodigy instead. Obviously it isn't a guarantee that they'll be in Europe at the time (like Royal Blood) but we have no idea about that stuff yet so there's no point discussing it really.

42 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I would say The 1975 as an outright UK Exclusive and TOP as a co-headline minimum UK Exclusive. I also think The Killers would be good but would need to be a an exclusive too but think Drake would sell better.

The 1975 could even be trnsmt as well which would make reading and Leeds not a UK executive.

2 minutes ago, Samjones said:

What is the likelihood of catfish playing and where would they place in the lineup?

Decent possibility yeah. Main stage sub I'd say, can't see them fitting anywhere else really.

52 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Decent possibility yeah. Main stage sub I'd say, can't see them fitting anywhere else really.

They've played so many small/medium festivals this year that unless their new album is out before Reading (which i think it is) booking them wouldn't be as great as it could be. If the albums not out maybe a secret set then come in 2020

1 minute ago, gfa said:

They've played so many small/medium festivals this year that unless their new album is out before Reading (which i think it is) booking them wouldn't be as great as it could be. If the albums not out maybe a secret set then come in 2020

Well yeah I don't think they'll be booked if they don't have a new album out. If they do and are booked then main stage sub seems most likely.

4 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

They can have Muse, Florence and some old c**t. Phil Collins or someone.

If IOW get Muse and Florence I'll 100% be there, especially considering its student prices. No doubt the rest of the lineup would be dead but with those headliners and a This Feeling stage that'd be well worth the money.

5 hours ago, UndergroundSound said:

BMTH/TOP

Green Day

The 1975

If we're assuming headliners similar to this for now, we'd be expecting some strong subs or r1 headliners with a hip-hop appeal. So who is there, Tyler? (if unbanned) JME? (if new material) skepta? Chance The Rapper?

I can’t get over how much that IDLES album slaps. If it wasn’t for Rolo Tomassi and a couple of others it would absolutely be an album of the year contender for me. I really hope they get a big slot next year. 

On a different note, Blink 182 have cancelled their Autumn US tour due to Travis’ health issues (including their headline slot at Riot Fest) but have already been announced as headliners for Riot Fest 2019 to make up for it so they’re obviously going to be active around the tail end of summer next year. That might make them a little more likely than they were before, perhaps. 2019 will also be 20 years since Enema of the State and Riot loves its albums in full shows so maybe if they’re touring Blink might decide to do a load of shows playing that album in full. 

Also, Bauhaus are supposedly headlining the Sunday of Riot Fest this year... how mad is that? 

Edited by Andre91

Feel like 21P and BMTH will co-headline next year, then in 2020 21P doing Citadel or APE, and then TRNSMT. 21P have a lot of young fans, they must be finishing their GCSEs next year. As for the other headliners, the 1975 and Drake seem like the best case scenario at this point. We all know its going to end up being Drake, Imagine Dragons and then 21p and Bastille co-headline though xD

Edited by Stuielooie

1 hour ago, Stuielooie said:

Feel like 21P and BMTH will co-headline next year, then in 2020 21P doing Citadel or APE, and then TRNSMT. 21P have a lot of young fans, they must be finishing their GCSEs next year. As for the other headliners, the 1975 and Drake seem like the best case scenario at this point. We all know its going to end up being Drake, Imagine Dragons and then 21p and Bastille co-headline though xD

Why go from headlining Reading straight down to Citadel if you don't need to. 

7 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I can’t get over how much that IDLES album slaps. If it wasn’t for Rolo Tomassi and a couple of others it would absolutely be an album of the year contender for me. I really hope they get a big slot next year. 

hearing Idles on radio 1 on the way to work at 5:30 this morning instantly made my day so much better.