Arcadia

FloorFiller

22 minutes ago, payneruk said:

Yes and yes (I think). I stayed in AirBnB though.

Right way to go. Great festival but trying to get to sleep in a tent at 9am when the sun is blazing and it's already about 35 degrees was a challenge.

7 minutes ago, Divein said:

Really hope Boyz Noise doesn't clash with Radiohead.

i fear he'll be on at on a similar time to Daniel Avery last year.

I'm also in this boat. One of those 'only at Glastonbury' clashes.

3 hours ago, big__phil said:

New Forms 'live' - what does that mean? I love the record, but there's live, and there's 'live'.

Roni size did a live show on the spider when it was on in Bristol. Live drummer, singer, keyboards etc perched atop the spiders legs. Was pretty good for what I recall.

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

Right way to go. Great festival but trying to get to sleep in a tent at 9am when the sun is blazing and it's already about 35 degrees was a challenge.

The AirBnB was really hot too. Can't imagine what it was like tenting it.

It helped having a pool too :D

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I know it's 'just' a DJ set, but I rather like the idea of Groove Armada.  Since they don't do a live act as such, I'd expect they drop quite a bit of their own stuff in - does anyone know?  I really enjoyed their last couple of records, nothing life changing, but would definitely be fun to hear some of those tunes under the spider.

Not oppressing bass music, which I'm guessing is the main problem with the lineup those objecting have?

3 hours ago, mjsell said:

My thinking is the exact same regarding GA. And would also like to know what they generally play.

I've always liked GA as DJs.  They play house. Definitely not techno. 

I actually dug out an old mix CD of theirs the other day. 15 years old but not really dated. 

4696952.jpg

17 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I actually dug out an old mix CD of theirs the other day. 15 years old but not really dated. 

4696952.jpg

Yeah, I almost pride myself on being ignorant of labels, (as I often gravitate towards stuff that doesn't quite fit in a specific genre), but even I could tell that they do house music.

30 minutes ago, payneruk said:

The AirBnB was really hot too. Can't imagine what it was like tenting it.

It helped having a pool too :D

We had the Danube, only one of our group ventured in to above her ankles and she came out all blotchy. 

Would love to go back but if I did I'd make sure that I had a proper bed. No one slept in their tents, everyone was just kipping under trees etc. Didn't get much sleep then drove back to Portsmouth in 36 hrs (3 drivers in shift). Pretty stupid thing to do looking back but it was very fun.

1 minute ago, Tommy101 said:

We had the Danube, only one of our group ventured in to above her ankles and she came out all blotchy. 

Would love to go back but if I did I'd make sure that I had a proper bed. No one slept in their tents, everyone was just kipping under trees etc. Didn't get much sleep then drove back to Portsmouth in 36 hrs (3 drivers in shift). Pretty stupid thing to do looking back but it was very fun.

We all went in the river when we visited the beach and were fine. Awesome party vibe on the beach with the live DJ's and people dancing in the water.

I'd definitely go back but there's plenty more eurofests to do 1st.

Here's the point, team.

This is not about the techno snobs simply whining, or having a go at the other genres on the line-up.

It's just an observation that there is, proportionately so little genuine techno on the overall line-up compared to other genres.

No, Glastonbury is not a 'dance' festival, but the dance element is a huge part of the line-up, entertaining a significant proportion of the festival goers, both at night and earlier in the days. Given that, it's not unreasonable to think that the profile of the genres would be not dissimilar to the more dance-orientated festivals.

This year there is a huge amount of DnB, a huge amount of tech-house, a significant amount of house/disco and very little techno. the relative proportions do not, IMO, reflect the broader clubbing picture today, where techno remains right up there with the most popular genres. In fact, if you look in Mixmag (you might choose not to!) they give a 'chart' of the relative popularity of the different genres based on number of attendees, events, etc. Over the last few years tech-house and techno have see-sawed over and under one another as numbers 1 and 2 in the list, and whilst tech-house is clearly the most populous current genre in terms of those who go to dance to it (for many reasons which I won't go into here, for fear of being branded a techno snob!), techno remains number 2.

Is that popularity reflected in the number of each genre's artists so far announced at Glastonbury? Not even close. And, though the most highly (over...) paid DJs in the world are mostly techno DJs, as others have said here and elsewhere, there are LOADS of fantastic artists, many British who are well within Glastonbury's budget and who would give a bit more variety to this year's line up.

know Patrick Topping is flavour of the month at the moment, but when you see him listed for all three main days but your favourite genre is significantly under-represented, it just grates a bit.

At least Jon Hopkins is playing the Spider and I will be there. And, there is just about enough techno on the line-up, but the artists would need not to clash much at all!

:)

Ben

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Here's the point, team.

This is not about the techno snobs simply whining, or having a go at the other genres on the line-up.

It's just an observation that there is, proportionately so little genuine techno on the overall line-up compared to other genres.

No, Glastonbury is not a 'dance' festival, but the dance element is a huge part of the line-up, entertaining a significant proportion of the festival goers, both at night and earlier in the days. Given that, it's not unreasonable to think that the profile of the genres would be not dissimilar to the more dance-orientated festivals.

This year there is a huge amount of DnB, a huge amount of tech-house, a significant amount of house/disco and very little techno. the relative proportions do not, IMO, reflect the broader clubbing picture today, where techno remains right up there with the most popular genres. In fact, if you look in Mixmag (you might choose not to!) they give a 'chart' of the relative popularity of the different genres based on number of attendees, events, etc. Over the last few years tech-house and techno have see-sawed over and under one another as numbers 1 and 2 in the list, and whilst tech-house is clearly the most populous current genre in terms of those who go to dance to it (for many reasons which I won't go into here, for fear of being branded a techno snob!), techno remains number 2.

Is that popularity reflected in the number of each genre's artists so far announced at Glastonbury? Not even close. And, though the most highly (over...) paid DJs in the world are mostly techno DJs, as others have said here and elsewhere, there are LOADS of fantastic artists, many British who are well within Glastonbury's budget and who would give a bit more variety to this year's line up.

know Patrick Topping is flavour of the month at the moment, but when you see him listed for all three main days but your favourite genre is significantly under-represented, it just grates a bit.

At least Jon Hopkins is playing the Spider and I will be there. And, there is just about enough techno on the line-up, but the artists would need not to clash much at all!

:)

Ben

I've no idea. But do the different stage bookers look at each others lineups? Could be they assumed other stages would be catering for Techno.

Just now, payneruk said:

I've no idea. But do the different stage bookers look at each others lineups? Could be they assumed other stages would be catering for Techno.

I guess you've nailed it there for me, @payneruk

It smacks of either a lack of communication between curators OR just lots of the area curators seeing what's 'popular' OR just bad luck. For me!

Ben

3 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I guess you've nailed it there for me, @payneruk

It smacks of either a lack of communication between curators OR just lots of the area curators seeing what's 'popular' OR just bad luck. For me!

Ben

You never know, you might stumble accross something new to you that you love.

One of my best memories was at Arcadia (possibly watching Wonkavision). And I discovered the Complextro genre. At the time I was wowed by this whole new sound. And it suited the stage perfectly. One of my Glasto magic moments!

We wont talk about how it evolved into EDM.

11 minutes ago, payneruk said:

You never know, you might stumble accross something new to you that you love.

One of my best memories was at Arcadia (possibly watching Wonkavision). And I discovered the Complextro genre. At the time I was wowed by this whole new sound. And it suited the stage perfectly. One of my Glasto magic moments!

We wont talk about how it evolved into EDM.

You had me until EDM...

:D

Ben

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

4696952.jpg

That CD was a fixture on my car stereo in those days!