"Really big secret"

Supernintendo Chalmers

Just now, 42hamlet said:

New single due at 3pm, "Big Secret" Muse 4th headliner confirmed

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It's refreshing to see Drones being discussed in a thread and it not be related to Muse. 

And just like that... it's gone.

Edited by popcornmaster

3 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

What? Even bigger than The Monkees?

I've never heard of the market place!

The monkees were a little before my time. Yet from what I know they were a manufactured pop group with traditional and bona fide hit pop songs which were written for them. The KLF was a little different. It was as if the music was not even the main reason for their existence. They managed to pull the wool over everyones eyes. They managed to sell ridiculous amounts of records without resorting to traditional methods.

I get your point, the Monkees were the 1st boy band. Yet there was nothing new really about songwriters getting pretty singers to make their songs hits. The KLF were completely different. Yes there was elements of punk culture running through them and they expanded on the kind of stuff Factory records had been doing. Yet it was completely their own thing.

Although I do not think the music has stood the test of time, I do not think they intended it to. They were different and radical, thats saying something considering thethe time they came from.

The thing I find fascinating about the KLF is that Bill Drummond worked as a producer for Pete Waterman for several years.  He had a massive insight into how the pop industry worked and what made a number 1 single.

Its easy to forget just how massive they were in the early 90s.  They were definitely of their time, however I disagree that the music has aged badly.  I was listening to the White Room the other day and I still think its a classic.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, windy_miller said:

The thing I find fascinating about the KLF is that Bill Drummond worked as a producer for Pete Waterman for several years.  He had a massive insight into how the pop industry worked and what made a number 1 single.

Its easy to forget just how massive they were in the early 90s.  They were definitely of their time, however I disagree that the music has aged badly.  I was listening to the White Room the other day and I still think its a classic.

Have an upvote ! 

Word to your mother ! 

8 minutes ago, windy_miller said:

3 AM Eternal is an absolute banger of a tune

2 minutes ago, evannn said:

Re: Obama and warmongering. 

I don't think most of his fans believe he's a pacifist. But he has been progressive and outspoken in ways that previous presidents haven't re: healthcare and guns. 

Ok so let him go speak in a country affected by healthcare & guns not on a farm in Somerset full of people who have (for now) got free health care and are highly likely to have never seen a gun in real life. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, windy_miller said:

I agree. Watching a doc on indie in the 80s on BBC4 the other day, I hadn't realised they sold so many records - they were the top sellers in Europe for a couple of years apparently. The White Room is excellent and only The Church of the KLF sounds properly dated to my 38 year old ears.

Still, I can understand why some people have never heard of them. They were huge for a couple of years, then did the Brit Awards (which was nothing like any of their records because of the collaboration with Extreme Noise Terror) and then disappeared when they burnt the money. If they do make a musical comeback and do end up playing any gigs it's highly unlikely we'll hear anything familiar, although I'd love to hear 3am Eternal at Glastonbury.

14 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Ok so let him go speak in a country affected by healthcare & guns not on a farm in Somerset full of people who have (for now) got free health care and are highly likely to have never seen a gun in real life. 

It's not up to me to let him speak anywhere.

Chances are though, there's a lot of people in a country that agrees with his policies who might be interested in his speeches. I don't think his tour is a campaign for anything in particular, just entertainment where there's a market for it

Obama was a war mongering drone killing innocent civilian life stamping out asshole. He was every bit as bad as the man he replaced and only slightly better (only by just not being so fucking stupid) then the man who replaced him.  People who talk like hes a cross between bernie sanders and jfk just make me laugh.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Until the Americans vote in a president whose entire campaign is based on ending violent conflict it will always be thus.

Not many world leaders can claim to have their hands clean.

It's still a violent world, and will continue to be for a long time yet.

Not saying that Obama is a saint, but he's certainly not the devil.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, windy_miller said:

Its quite easy to miss, but Bill Drummond fires a real machine gun loaded with blanks into the audience at the end.  He got in a fuck load of trouble for it.

I remember being really excited about them being on the Brits but my 12 year old ears had never heard anything like that at the time. I had no idea what was going on! Subsequently my parents refused to buy the White Room for me.