2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

9 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

@dentaIpIan you back the fuck off of Blur yeah

Yo I like Blur, particularly the stuff towards the end of their first run.

I am fascinated, however, that a band of such arseholes whose biggest hits are the zeitgeist of a now much-maligned era of British music have ended up not covered in shit. They seem prime targets for it but are sacred cows, somehow.

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yo I like Blur, particularly the stuff towards the end of their first run.

I am fascinated, however, that a band of such arseholes whose biggest hits are the zeitgeist of a now much-maligned era of British music have ended up not covered in shit. They seem prime targets for it but are sacred cows, somehow.

It's cos they were the good bit of that zeitgeist. Even in their most obviously 'britpop' era, while some of it was admittedly a bit goofy they were putting out tracks like End of a fuckin Century which is just so good.

26 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

It's cos they were the good bit of that zeitgeist. Even in their most obviously 'britpop' era, while some of it was admittedly a bit goofy they were putting out tracks like End of a fuckin Century which is just so good.

But that’s always the argument, and it’s what I don’t really understand.

Getting the greatest hits CD with the pop art cover as a kid was a big moment in my musical journey but all of that stuff sounds dated now, even more so than Oasis - who had a better songwriter pulling the strings - and Pulp - who also wrote better songs and timeless lyrics. The likes of Country House (obviously now suffocatingly ironic) is pretty much exactly what Britpop is derided for... but their peers get the stick for it!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Getting the greatest hits CD with the pop art cover as a kid was a big moment in my musical journey but all of that stuff sounds dated now, even more so than Oasis - who had a better songwriter pulling the strings - and Pulp - who also wrote better songs and timeless lyrics. The likes of Country House (obviously now suffocatingly ironic) is pretty much exactly what Britpop is derided for... but their peers get the stick for it!

Beetlebum hasn't dated a single day to me.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

FWIW, I wasn't interested in Blur in 2009, I tried listening to their old stuff in the build up, but couldn't get into it.  I expect if I'd turned up I would have been caught up in the atmosphere, but was too ill from over indulgence on Friday to leave my tent.

Should have come Black Eyed Peas, they were a hoot.

12 minutes ago, battleborn said:

I don't think it's fair to say Britpop is maligned, it just acts very much like a lot of late 70s punk in that it's more culturally significant than the actual music being outstanding in itself. I can't see Blur headlining 2020 though.

It’s cultural significance is almost entirely bad tho.

Would be a bit weird but do you reckon The Carters (Beyonce + Jay Z) could do it? Would round out the trio a bit more in terms of genres, maybe something like this:

Pyramid:

Friday: The Carters / 1975 / Cardi B

Saturday: Fleetwood Mac / Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds / Catfish & The Bottlemen

Sunday: Arctic Monkeys / Sam Smith / The War On Drugs / Kylie Minogue

41 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Aye there's some blunders in there, I'm not going to defend Country House and in fact the whole of The Great Escape is a bit of a mess, but the peaks of their britpop stuff are way above the rest. And obviously over time it became fully realised when they got around to making 13 which is incredible. Total rubbish calling Noel a better songwriter too, not having that.