Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

13 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Silver Hayes just needs more open space. It's so congested all the bloody time - whether there's big acts on, or no acts. I'm hoping, if nothing else, this lineup will shed a bit more light on some stage placings. 

Funny, I was thinking it needs less open space.  It's just a big, really wide corridor with stuff on either end.  Maybe it could do with a big tent in the middle to give it a focal point.  I would be totally cool with fewer venues if they can make it feel more like a destination.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There's a wide open space in the middle of it you could land a Dreamliner on.

This bit here is a fucking car crash.

Selection_004.png

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Funny, I was thinking it needs less open space.  It's just a big, really wide corridor with stuff on either end.  Maybe it could do with a big tent in the middle to give it a focal point.  I would be totally cool with fewer venues if they can make it feel more like a destination.

Perhaps a better allocation of space would have been a more appropriate choice of words.

Edited by Tuna

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Ben's rugby coaching consists of 5 minutes of where they're going wrong in the scrum and 55 minutes of where they are going wrong in their choice of music.

You wouldn't see Gareth Williams listening to the grimy nonsense, you know. He was all about Explosions In the Sky.

Now drop and give me 20.

He only does it because he finds the rules about clothing reassuring.

Just now, The Nal said:

That entire area smells of piss and shit

Strangely enough though, it still doesn't encourage people to get a move on. The leakage from the bogs seems to make it squelch up faster than most places too.

3 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Strangely enough though, it still doesn't encourage people to get a move on. The leakage from the bogs seems to make it squelch up faster than most places too.

Wednesday morning looking for a place to camp.

"Here?"

"Yeah sure, it smells fucking horrific and is right behind a cowshed too which smells like Satans wifes arsehole. Plop the tent down in the muck there". 

Edited by The Nal

It definitely has the least character out of all the festivals areas. Great effort goes in to the line up but not much more beyond that. When you walk through it late afternoon and see the mess head ravers who have hit it a wee bit too hard you soon lose the Glastonbury charm, certainly until you emerge out the other end. Ive seen some sobering sights in my time whilst passing through! Its a shame the shanty town/shack theme you get at The Blues doesn't run the whole way through either side so its like a big street. A New Orleans Mardi Gras theme would suit it well.

Edited by Familiar2billions

2 minutes ago, Familiar2billions said:

Its a shame the shanty town/shack theme you get at The Blues doesn't run the whole way through either side so its like a big street. A New Orleans Mardi Gras theme would suit it well.

That would be awesome!

Great Paddy's egg avatar BTW.

Pretty much echoing almost all the views in here. It's my least favourite part of the site. Feels completely soulless. The fact that the music they have on there isn't my thing at all probably doesn't do t any favours, but it does fee like a bit of a pox mark on the festival. Like a shit local dance festival plonked down in the middle of Glastonbury. 

Just now, mjsell said:

How would you (or anyone) rectify it?

I don't know how permanent the structures around there are, so my possible engineering would be pie in the sky, I'm sure. Nonetheless, I think the WOW! stage is the cause of the problem, so try and budge it down a touch. It was especially bad when Espacio was just a touch further on down there, 2014 was it?

I quite like the BBC introducing stage altho like someone said it seems a bit out of sorts in SH, which according to the GF website Malcolm supports live bands and not as many DJs. For me, that sounds like it doesn't really know what it wants to be - suffering from a kind of identity crisis. Is it furthering the Dance Village and showcasing a shit ton of great dance music, or is it just a big mix of everything? If it's the latter, that's one of the reasons it seems to be not a favourite among many people

Silver Hayes is shit. I used to just avoid it completely after learning this fact quite early on during my first couple of Glastonburys.

Last year though, we were camped in Darble after the walk from Pink 55 nearly killed my other half who was pulling a slowly breaking trolley, so traipsing through Silver Hayes became a necessary evil in order to get to other areas of the site.  Either that or going past all the hospitality w*nkers.

Being forced to walk through it and experience its bleak depressing vista on a daily basis killed my buzz on a number of occasions.

5 minutes ago, Familiar2billions said:

It definitely has the least character out of all the festivals areas. Great effort goes in to the line up but not much more beyond that. When you walk through it late afternoon and see the mess head ravers who have hit it a wee bit too hard you soon lose the Glastonbury charm, certainly until you emerge out the other end. Ive seen some sobering sights in my time whilst passing through! Its a shame the shanty town/shack theme you get at The Blues doesn't run the whole way through either side so its like a big street. A New Orleans Mardi Gras theme would suit it well.

I've not been but I believe that's what Boomtown is like with faux streets etc?

Obviously there is a cost consideration but something like that would be awesome.

3 minutes ago, Familiar2billions said:

It definitely has the least character out of all the festivals areas. Great effort goes in to the line up but not much more beyond that. When you walk through it late afternoon and see the mess head ravers who have hit it a wee bit too hard you soon lose the Glastonbury charm, certainly until you emerge out the other end. Ive seen some sobering sights in my time whilst passing through! Its a shame the shanty town/shack theme you get at The Blues doesn't run the whole way through so its like a big street.

Yeah like I said I only went there once for an act in 2015, but I think I walked through it a couple of times, and I didnt understand what the designs was all about. I was getting a futuristic (might not be the right word) vibe from Sonic followed by that shanty/shack vibe straight after. Was all a bit slapdash.

4 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Being forced to walk through it and experience its bleak depressing vista on a daily basis killed my buzz on a number of occasions.

Maybe the fact that a lot of people just use it as a walkway to get from, say, Other to JP is its biggest problem. Not many other areas have to deal with so much traffic of people that don't plan to stay there.

Could they make the walkway be on the eastern side of the area and have all the stages to the west? So that you only actually go into the area when you are there for the music?

10 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Yeah like I said I only went there once for an act in 2015, but I think I walked through it a couple of times, and I didnt understand what the designs was all about. I was getting a futuristic (might not be the right word) vibe from Sonic followed by that shanty/shack vibe straight after. Was all a bit slapdash.

I think thats exactly it right there. The themeing is wildly inconsistent. I know the themes vary somewhat in the SE corner but somehow they flow and mix well in a dystopian kind of way. Also some of the tents get way too packed. I went to see Four Tet one night there last year and couldn't even get close... Its safe to say there was a healthy amount of arseholes in there too. Im no snob and get that crowds are apart of it all, but there were plenty of people viciously barging to try and get in and getting snappy if you told them to calm it down.

Edited by Familiar2billions

Big open spaces at festivals dont have to be shit either - at Shambala and Green Man they work very well but they work well because they are full of mixed groups - so people sitting and drinking and families playing on hay bales and whatever but in SH no one wants to sit and spend any time - it is like the festival has purposefully cordoned off that whole scene, which from a parental point of view is great but it makes it very grim.

1 minute ago, mjsell said:

Maybe the fact that a lot of people just use it as a walkway to get from, say, Other to JP is its biggest problem. Not many other areas have to deal with so much traffic of people that don't plan to stay there.

Could they make the walkway be on the eastern side of the area and have all the stages to the west? So that you only actually go into the area when you are there for the music?

This is a very good point and your solution sounds like it could actually work.

I also agree with creating some areas for just sitting and chilling within SH would be an improvement - anything that encourages people to hang around rather than just always passing through. 

And more colour. It's so fucking bleak!

3 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I was thinking about that, but wouldn't that mean splitting up the backstage areas?  The space+shape of the required space for a venue isn't just the bit you go into.

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I was thinking about that, but wouldn't that mean splitting up the backstage areas?  The space+shape of the required space for a venue isn't just the bit you go into.

Yeah I was looking at that too. It might actually be easier from a backstage point of view to have the stages on the Eastern side (nearer to the pyramid/other area) and walkways over to the West. But I'm not very clued up on what these backstage areas need to function. How does the stages on the eastern side (is that WOW? I dont know the area well enough) connect their backstage areas to the rest of the fest? They back on to Park Farm - does that have a role to play?

Edited by mjsell
Easts and Wests mixed up